3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

More exhaust brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
More exhaust brake questions

I did a search and read a bunch of threads, but could not find the answer to my questions. I am going to install an exhaust brake, but can't figure out the pros and cons of say BD or Jacobs. II took a look at the BD installation manual and can't for the life of me understand why it is so complicated electrically.
Why can't I just install the valve in the exhaust and directly select it either on or off from the the gearshift? Why does it need so much other 'junk' to operate?

All engine brakes operate under the same principle, so why would one brand be any better than another?
Old 07-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Pac Brake and it works GREAT!!! And will not void your warranty like some state. Some Dodge dealers actually install them! LOL
Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a PacBrake. You will be happy. By the way, I never caught what exactly was wrong with your truck and what corrected your issue. Enlighten me please.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Some brakes claim to work better than others at low engine speeds, be more effective, etc. but the differences are pretty minor in my opinion, and any one will improve stopping ability, especially towing.
Then there are vacuum actuated (Jacobs) or air actuated (PAC Brake). There are reported problems with the Jake vacuum pumps and the compressor can serve a dual purpose of providing a on-board air supply.
With a manual tranny, you can get by with a simple switch but some sort of system is required to lock the torque converter on an auto and makes shifting and stopping simpler on a manual.

Dan
Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never went to the trouble of hooking up all the electric junk so my brake would work automaticaly. I just use a switch on the gearshift
Old 07-04-2008, 09:53 AM
DTR Advertiser

All we need for the electronics on the manual transmission is the idle verrification which is done through our control module. We tap into the cruise wiring and a on off switch. The 03 Dodge is a fairly simple straight forward install.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by Spooler
Get a PacBrake. You will be happy. By the way, I never caught what exactly was wrong with your truck and what corrected your issue. Enlighten me please.
The injector pump died suddenly. Had to R & R it.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
All we need for the electronics on the manual transmission is the idle verrification which is done through our control module. We tap into the cruise wiring and a on off switch. The 03 Dodge is a fairly simple straight forward install.
Thanks for the replies so far.
What does idle verification do?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Theres a lot of people here who like their Pacbrakes. I can tell you I have 2 BD Exhaust brakes (1 on each truck) and they are both automatics with the Towloc modules. They are awesome. I love them.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:46 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with a BD or PacBrake. That being said, I love my PacBrake. It is by far the best investment I made on my truck.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

for the performance crowd, id highly recomend useing an in line brake rather than a turbo mount.
turbo swaps will be easyer, more adjustability etc, and the butterfly wont cause as much of a restriction when down streem.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Now I am confused. To me a restriction is a restriction, whether it is upstream or downstream. How can a downstream butterfly cause LESS restriction than one that is upstream? What am I missing here?

Originally Posted by gus's 03
for the performance crowd, id highly recomend useing an in line brake rather than a turbo mount.
turbo swaps will be easyer, more adjustability etc, and the butterfly wont cause as much of a restriction when down streem.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I just recently installed the BD exhaust brake & would highly recommend it.

The entire kit and components are extremely high quality & it works excellent.
The brake itself has stainless steel bracketry & bronze shaft bushings. It's very well built.

I too compared BD & Pacbrake. The vacuum operated Jacobs ex brake isn't available in in-line configuration & the engine driven vacuum pump is not for me.

I installed the BD 4 inch inline version so I am not married to my stock turbo.
It is more work to install than a turbo mount brake (make sure the welding pre-brake is perfect) but it's performance is outstanding.

Pacbrake mounts the compresser on the engine which is easier to install & service than the BD compresser which is under the fender.
But the BD compressor is out of sight & quieter.

I don't really understand the Pacbrake PRXB spring loaded secondary valve that they have. Plus it seems to me more componentry right in the exhaust flow is not good.

The wiring for the 2006 & up trucks use the Cummins ECM for ex brake activitation & this greatly simplifies the wiring.
I spent a ton of time wiring up my brake, plus I added a mechanical clutch switch. I took my time, neatly & carefully routed all wiring.

Yes just adding a simple on/off switch is easy & many do just that.
All the additional wiring & switches makes the ex brake transparent & a no brainer to drive the truck though.
The cruise control defeat feature is awesome.
You are driving along in cruise, come to a hill or you have to slow down, hit the ex brake switch, the cruise turns off & the ex brake engages. Awesome!

All 3 brakes have been around along time, all are very good & one wouldn't go wrong with any one.
Just add up all the pluses & minuses for what works for you.

Go to all 3 websites & read the 3 install docs to help your decision.

I hope this helps....Joe
Old 07-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Now I am confused. To me a restriction is a restriction, whether it is upstream or downstream. How can a downstream butterfly cause LESS restriction than one that is upstream? What am I missing here?

The way I understand it is that downstream the exhaust flow is becoming more laminar. Up close to the turbo the exhaust gases are more turbulent. The flat butterfly will present a smaller restriction in a laminar flow area.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
The way I understand it is that downstream the exhaust flow is becoming more laminar. Up close to the turbo the exhaust gases are more turbulent. The flat butterfly will present a smaller restriction in a laminar flow area.

exactly. at the outlet of the turbo the exhaust gass is still spinning, so although the butterfly is pointed down streem, it is still a restriction because its not inline with exhaust flow. go a foot or two down the pipe and around a bend, and things have calmed down quite a bit.

not to mention, it puts it in a long strait strech of pipe that is known to resonate, and it may help quiet things down a hair.

Quick Reply: More exhaust brake questions