3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mopar diamond plate steps

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mopar diamond plate steps

Anyone have any experience installing the Mopar diamond plate side steps.... I have the cab & box steps on order for my 4.5 dually.

Need to know if I should try putting them on myself or let the dealer throw it up on a lift & zap it with their air tools...

I would prefer to tackle it myself if possible, that way my new baby gets to stay home with me!!! (She only has 120 miles on her & I'm being a little overly protective!)

I tried a search under diamond plate steps...didn't find anything.

Thanks...Defdog2
Old 04-07-2004, 09:13 AM

Defdog2,

I have the boards you speak of except the bed units. Take a look at my pics for a finished product. The installation is pretty involved. I've installed two sets and both times it took me about 4 hours to install. I took the time to paint the holes I drilled to prevent rust. The holes that have to be drilled can not be drilled with a conventional drill. I had to go out and buy a 90 degree Dewalt drill to get the holes drilled. The frame is to close to the lower body to fit a drill in the place where the holes have to be drilled. So before you decide to tackle it you may want to go buy one along with a uni-bit as an average drill bit makes the 90 degree drill to big and you run into the same issue as using a normal drill.

Again, very extensive work, prob. worth it to have the dealer do it. Nothing beats doing it on your own and aquiring a new tool along the way. I hope that clears up your question.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:17 AM

One thing to add is you have to pull your rubber plugs if you have them. The Mopar directions are very poor in my opinion. I put the brackets up to the body and marked the to be drilled holes with a marker measuring out the brackets per the instructions. Drill the holes, paint the bare metal, install the funky u-bolt bracket and use an air ratchet to tighten the nuts to the bracket bolts. If you don't have an air ratchet prepare to have a tired arm.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:03 AM

Ton4fun, Thanks for the info, just what I was afraid of.... guess I'll ask when I pick up the boards at the dealer what they will charge...

On the other hand, I could use a right angle drill Just put my rear flaps on yesterday & was debating that purchase as I can't get my last three screws in without removing the wheels to drill!

Thanks again, Defdog2