3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which module to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which module to buy???

Let me start by saying, I am not looking into adding power. I want a gauge such as Quadzilla or Edge to monitor my truck (these are just examples not exclusive). I have no idea of EGT or tranny temp or anything. I just got my 06 2500 back from dealer today due to it was acting sick. It sounded like a cat diesel was under the hood and not a cummins. Rough idle and smoked a bit when started. We think it is a bit of carbon buildup after only 17k miles. Dealer placed some cleaner in it (I run Power Service with every tank) and told me to go and haul something heavy. The computer said I was doing something silly like 20% no load on the engine. I am curious as to how that is possible as I hate to idle. With that said, I could also be too gentle on the engine also. Its time to start monitoring all the vitals of the truck and start running it hard. I am not looking so much for more power (not wanting to void the warranty but my dealer is pretty cool) but instead not wanting to add multiple gauges into a truck without a lot of room for gauges. Out of what everyone is using, what has the best display and is accurate of what the truck really is doing? Want as much vitals as I can get with one display. Also ease of install is a bonus. Mild power increase is acceptable but dont need 100+ HP added
Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by q5ka
Let me start by saying, I am not looking into adding power. I want a gauge such as Quadzilla or Edge to monitor my truck (these are just examples not exclusive). I have no idea of EGT or tranny temp or anything. I just got my 06 2500 back from dealer today due to it was acting sick. It sounded like a cat diesel was under the hood and not a cummins. Rough idle and smoked a bit when started. We think it is a bit of carbon buildup after only 17k miles. Dealer placed some cleaner in it (I run Power Service with every tank) and told me to go and haul something heavy. The computer said I was doing something silly like 20% no load on the engine. I am curious as to how that is possible as I hate to idle. With that said, I could also be too gentle on the engine also. Its time to start monitoring all the vitals of the truck and start running it hard. I am not looking so much for more power (not wanting to void the warranty but my dealer is pretty cool) but instead not wanting to add multiple gauges into a truck without a lot of room for gauges. Out of what everyone is using, what has the best display and is accurate of what the truck really is doing? Want as much vitals as I can get with one display. Also ease of install is a bonus. Mild power increase is acceptable but dont need 100+ HP added

Check with your dealer first, most are not big fans of aftermarket parts. Quadzilla Commander is a stand alone gauge package. You can add their module later if you want. Right now I have the edge juice with attitude, it is nice. I like it added 100hp, tons of safety features, such as defueling etc and come complete with gauges.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Banned

It looks to me like you are needing a Quadzilla Commander, like it was said the QC is a stand alone monitor, so you can run it without any power adders, and just use it for the gauges.

I will second the act of checking with your dealer, becuase you will need to drill into you exhaust manifold for the pyro.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM

My dealer doesn't like my Commander. Even before I put the Xzillaraider in, they said the Commander was a performance box. I had to show the service manager info I printed off of Quadzilla's website to show them it was just a gauge. Then they said because I had tapped the wires for the Commander, that my wiring harness was ruined and needed replaced, etc... Thanks to vzdude, I know they didn't put any negative info about the Commander into their database, but they were implying that they were going to have a flag in the computer system for my vin number...
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM

After some thought, I plan on the Quadzilla. After a few phone calls to the two dealers I work with, neither have issues with it as long as no power mod is added and installation does not cause the issue. Bad wire, metal shavings in turbo from manifold drill, etc.... Both are aware of the Commander and understand that it can be a standalone monitor and as long as it is used that way it is fine. Thanks for the help and the assurance that the Commander is the right choice.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You might also want to look at the Recon. It is a stand alone also, but has no control as far as defuling etc. It will flash once unit hits your preset limits and it shows one item at a time but monitors EGT, Boost, and Tranny temp (or fuel pressure) an either/or situation. I believe that it comes as a package with the XZT modult for a very fair price. Ask Larry Ellis on This DTR web site for pricing.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

drive your truck like its a rental. alot more fun and helps clean it out. if you can pull a heavy load get after it!

brett
Old 08-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i run the bullydog and have liked it very much since it plugs into the computer plug and you dont have to tap any wires just the fuse box, plus i've had problems with the quad products