3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mods Imbalanced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff - at least I know I'm not way off track!
abc4yew - just so you don't think I'm on crack.... I had a set of F2s that got ruined during my fuel system battles, and ordered replacements at a time when DonM was having some trouble with the blank tips he was getting. After an 8 week wait, he and Tim offered me a set of mild steel EH injectors that would be Don's EH equivalent of the EDM F2s. After waiting two months and the price break I got, I took them. Pseudo F2s or not, they're good sticks, and are tuned to Don's standards, so they run out great. I think that the finer point difference you get with the normal (EDM) F2s just came to light when I upgraded the turbo...
Looks like I'll be in the market for F1's now - just need to get hold of TiminVa!
Thanks for the assist, guys!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yep MY BD twins are small for a set of twins. But funny they still keep my EGTs down even with all my fuel, and at WOT all I get is a light haze so I figured they were doing their job. WRONG. Well they are but they are not flowing a large enough volume of cool air to maxamize my performance. I always thought I would have EGT issues when I was out growing them, and a good bit of smoke that never cleared up, again I was wrong. They are while keeping things in check holding me back.
I also am learning alot but still dont know anything when it comes to real deal turbo knowledge. A small set will reduce smoke down low and spool faster while a larger set will spool slower but scream on top. Maybe we need 3 turbos so we can have instant spool, no smoke, enough air for 850hp, and still tow. Or am I asking too much ?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Yep MY BD twins are small for a set of twins. But funny they still keep my EGTs down even with all my fuel, and at WOT all I get is a light haze so I figured they were doing their job. WRONG. Well they are but they are not flowing a large enough volume of cool air to maxamize my performance. I always thought I would have EGT issues when I was out growing them, and a good bit of smoke that never cleared up, again I was wrong. They are while keeping things in check holding me back.
I also am learning alot but still dont know anything when it comes to real deal turbo knowledge. A small set will reduce smoke down low and spool faster while a larger set will spool slower but scream on top. Maybe we need 3 turbos so we can have instant spool, no smoke, enough air for 850hp, and still tow. Or am I asking too much ?
I thought of that the other night!! Seriously though, I wonder if parallel twins are feasable? Instead of the compounds running through one another, two smaller turbos feeding 3 cylinders each... like the old nissan 300zx twin turbos... nah....
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like the smoke when people are tailgating you. I upshift a gear or two (depending) and hammer the throttle till i can't see them anymore
Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

I gotta get to the track and dyno to see what I am really doing with my set up right now. Just got the tranny so I can open her up and am still fiddling with seat of pants dyno to see what is feeling best. Still have some turbo fine tuning too. But I think what I have is a pretty good comprimise between fast spooling and top end. That BHT3B can really put out some air once it gets going.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soulezoo
I thought of that the other night!! Seriously though, I wonder if parallel twins are feasable? Instead of the compounds running through one another, two smaller turbos feeding 3 cylinders each... like the old nissan 300zx twin turbos... nah....
I've engineered that exact setup in my head... bet it wouldn' be that hard to fab up either...
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Originally Posted by trik396
I've engineered that exact setup in my head... bet it wouldn' be that hard to fab up either...
It would sure fill up the engine compartment!
Old 08-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
So how did you determine that they are too small? I guess I have the same thoughts you had as far as egt and smoke being the signs of needing an upgrade. Please educate me.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by omaharam
So how did you determine that they are too small? I guess I have the same thoughts you had as far as egt and smoke being the signs of needing an upgrade. Please educate me.

Im not sure I can edjucate anyone. But what I found is my set up was like a few other peoples set ups, and some were having problems breaking 600hp and others were mid 600s getting close to 700. So I started asking questions and the one thing was constant the guys putting out better #s had large singles, or custom twins by people that know their stuff. Ive read of a few well know people changing charger set ups and leaving everything else the same and beating their #'s by 75-100HP with no tuning. So it came to my attention you can push 65-75 psi through turbos, and you can push 50 through with efficiency and have much higher horsepower #'s.
Now the question of how to get a good efficient set up, that I cant help anyone with . But the right people are on this site and will figure it out for ya.