3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Modded Jeep Liberty Canister/Fuel Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The '03-'04 tanks have different mounting configuration, with a large-diameter screw-on plastic nut and a large round black rubber collar-type seal - the seal does fit the '05-'06 Dodge\Jeep version - you can see it on the Dodge module in my first pic - the Jeep module has a large locating-tab on the collar-lip, which possibly could be trimmed to fit the earlier tanks
Old 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
The '03-'04.5 tanks have different mounting configuration, with a large-diameter screw-on plastic nut and a large round black rubber collar-type seal - the seal does fit the '05-'06 Dodge\Jeep version - you can see it on the Dodge module in my first pic - the Jeep module has a large locating-tab on the collar-lip, which possibly could be trimmed to fit the earlier tanks
fixed it for ya' gmc

Nice writeup SANDAHOLIC

I'm installing my aftermarket LP this weekend and think the idea is great instead of adding another hole to the tank. I will try to pos some pics for the guys that have the 03 - 04.5 "intank pumps".
Old 01-29-2008, 03:42 PM

That would indicate the '04's to have two different production-line fuel tanks, right?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 PM

That would indicate the '04's to have two different production-line fuel tanks, right?
The 04 and 04.5 had their lift pump on the filter housing, so I'd say no.

Andy
Old 01-29-2008, 03:49 PM

I'm interested in doing this with my current fass setup. What are you guys doing about the old drawstraw hole in the tank? What are you guys using to seal it?
Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
I will try to pos some pics for the guys that have the 03 - 04.5 "intank pumps".
Thank you....I would appreciate that and look forward to it.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE
Nice writeup SANDAHOLIC Thanx

I'm installing my aftermarket LP this weekend and think the idea is great instead of adding another hole to the tank. I will try to post some pics for the guys that have the 03 - 04.5 "intank pumps".
I just thought of something you need a special tool to remove the 05+ in tank modules. Or you need some fabbing skills and a welder. Or you are like me and spend far too long with a screwdriver some channel locks a large end wrench for a hammer and a motorcycle tire iron.......yeah figure that one out [\. Very difficult to do with out the tool. How come I've never seen anyone post about that tool? Seriously if my wife hadn't come out to give it that extra tap I never would have got it sealed . Gotta love wifey helpin' in the garage!

The '03-'04 tanks have different mounting configuration, with a large-diameter screw-on plastic nut and a large round black rubber collar-type seal - the seal does fit the '05-'06 Dodge\Jeep version - you can see it on the Dodge module in my first pic - the Jeep module has a large locating-tab on the collar-lip, which possibly could be trimmed to fit the earlier tanks
So Gmctd do you have an 03'-04'? Will the 05'+ modules definately fit in the other tanks? Are all the tanks the same?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 AM

The '03-'04 and '05-'06tanks are definitely different, far as the cap-nut and the steel ring - there are pics of the early styles here, somewhere - maybe some kind soul will do the early version and post pics for reference - but, the '03-'04 rubber collar gasket definitely fits the '06 module

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=158229

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=1#post1825665

Far as that steel-ring clamp, it's fairly easy to remove - first get all the mud and stuff off of and from around it, then use an old paint brush to finish dusting it - this allows it freer movement - then you need to drive the tabs equally, cross-wise a bit at a time, keeping the ring centered in it's cage, similar to pattern when tightening the lug nuts - 'course, I've done it so many times, maybe it's just second nature at this stage - my only concern was that it's painted, where the earlier versions had all been cad-plated
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 AM

So I gotta ask..

You can purchase a tank for an 04 for $200 more than the liberty canister.

Is there any reason an 03/04 tank wouldn't bolt up in place where my 05 tank would go?

The 1/4 tank issue is really bugging me.

I would rather just change the tank out than deal with modding up a liberty canister (even though we have an 06 CRD Liberty).

Any reason this wouldn't work?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by White97GTVert

Is there any reason an 03/04 tank wouldn't bolt up in place where my 05 tank would go?

I would rather just change the tank out than deal with modding up a liberty canister (even though we have an 06 CRD Liberty).

if you run a AD150 you would have to mod it either way.....the jeep canister is the easiest and cheapest way to go IMHO
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM

I really am not sure if that would work or not, but you need to PM Gmctd(reply above yours) and ask him what all he did when he swapped his liberty can and the in tank lift pump. Or maybe he just put the in-tank lift pump in his Liberty? Now I'm confused.

Honestly though you have the perfect set up. You just swap those 2 modules and you are set! And if you went with the AD 100 instead of the 150 you could swap in the Liberty module and wouldn't have to mod anything. It would end up being a regular AD install without the drawstraw.

And I GUARANTEE you won't have any 1/4 tank issues with the liberty module! Let us know what you decide.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM

Well I ordered the Liberty Module..

Wifes Jeep runs really good and has never been to the shop.. The egr doesn't work properly but thats because the MAF sensor is unplugged so not really any other issues yet.

She doesn't want me to mess with it until there is a problem. So I just ordered up a Libby tank module and I'll mod it to accept the 1/2" feed line for my AD150.

I will be working on it next weekend. Too much to do this weekend.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:47 AM

Wifes Jeep runs really good and has never been to the shop.. The egr doesn't work properly but thats because the MAF sensor is unplugged so not really any other issues yet.

She doesn't want me to mess with it until there is a problem. So I just ordered up a Libby tank module and I'll mod it to accept the 1/2" feed line for my AD150.

I will be working on it next weekend. Too much to do this weekend.
Cool, take some pics of the mods you do, a few of us are all thinking the same thing I think...
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
Cool, take some pics of the mods you do, a few of us are all thinking the same thing I think...
You my frriend can count on it. However it will be about 10-12 days before I can start on it. I'll update this thread when I get it done.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM

GMCTD If I understand your early post correctly, can I take my stock module and chop cut the 1/4 return line, replace with 3/8 fitting, (Switch the return line with the feed line?) and get more flow out of my stock set up.

I understand the stock set up is good til 450-500rwhp so, if I need more flow for say 600 for instance, can I mod the 1/4 inch fitting to 3/8, increasing stock flow and possibily eliminate the need to buy an Air Dog 100 150-(good til 600) or any other performance lift pump until in need much more fuel flow.

Can anyone tell me if this is what he is trying to get us to understand?

Quick Reply: Modded Jeep Liberty Canister/Fuel Module