3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Modded Jeep Liberty Canister/Fuel Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I thought... If I went thru the hassle of dropping my tank again, I'd gut out the canister and make it the way I see fit. I carry a spare pump that I can swap out in minutes anyway...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trik396
That's what I thought... If I went thru the hassle of dropping my tank again, I'd gut out the canister and make it the way I see fit. I carry a spare pump that I can swap out in minutes anyway...
That's the beauty of a Walbro pump. Takes just a couple minutes to change one out in the event of a failure.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM

True - but for the record, flow outta the Dodge lift pump module could also be improved by eliminating that 1/4" elbow, making the line fully 3/8" from the pump to the filter - if regulated pressure remains constant, flow volume can be improved by eliminating any restriction, which is increasing the area.

FYI - the flapper is a one-way valve operated by the mass-density of the fuel outside the cup vs lighter aerated fuel density inside the cup - aerated fuel is lighter than non-aerated fuel (and warm return-fuel is lighter than cool in-tank fuel), thus the raw fuel outside the cup will open the flapper, forcing the lighter fuel upward, ensuring good fuel supply at the fuel pickup, next to the valve - this is based on the 'any liquid will seek it's own level' concept from.......you guessed it: Science 101.

So, don't worry about the flapper-valve, unless your draw-straw is on top of it, holding it closed
Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
I believe you could but you would have to remove the in tank pump from the canister. I think there is a "flapper" or something that is controlled electronically and it messes with the flow. At least that's what I gathered from it. The only downfall I see to the Jeep canister install is that if something ever happens to the aftermarket lift pump, you would not have a temporary back up until you get the aftermarket unit fixed.I disabled the Airdog150 and the cp3 was able to get 7.5 psi on its own so even if the airdog fails it's all good On the other hand, not too many aftermarket lift pumps fail.
The airdog pumps can be pulled through I don't know about the others.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sandaholic
The airdog pumps can be pulled through I don't know about the others.
That's interesting for sure. I was under the impression that none of the aftermarket pumps could have fuel pulled through them. Guess I was wrong again. Learn something new everyday!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
True - but for the record, flow outta the Dodge lift pump module could also be improved by eliminating that 1/4" elbow, making the line fully 3/8" from the pump to the filter - if regulated pressure remains constant, flow volume can be improved by eliminating any restriction, which is increasing the area.

By looking at the pics it appears the outlet elbow is already 3/8" and the return is 1/4". Where is the 1/4" restriction in the out line?
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Not trying to be a stickler here, but couldn't you just do this with your stock canister? I'm confused as to why you need to go out and get the Jeep canister.
I bought it because I thought I might run into some issues with getting the stock module to work how I want it. The jeep module works, and only needed the drawstraw put into the cup to make me happy! Honestly I have no idea what it would take to modify the stock module to work right. I'm sure you guys have taken things apart that are plastic before......maybe you're not like me, but I tend to break thin plastic pieces . So you better know what you're doin' cause if you screw it up and it doesn't work right you don't have a spare .

Maybe it's really simple, but I just wasn't ready to start dismantling the fuel pump module and praying for the best. So if you ever do yours let us know how it is done!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
By looking at the pics it appears the outlet elbow is already 3/8" and the return is 1/4". Where is the 1/4" restriction in the out line?
It's 1/4" I.D. (on the inside)the supply that is the return would be msybe 1/4" O.D. and 3/16" I.D. I didn't use a micrometer or anything those are just eyeball measurements
Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Talking GMCTD and anbody else interested

Originally Posted by gmctd

FYI - the flapper is a one-way valve operated by the mass-density of the fuel outside the cup vs lighter aerated fuel density inside the cup - aerated fuel is lighter than non-aerated fuel (and warm return-fuel is lighter than cool in-tank fuel), thus the raw fuel outside the cup will open the flapper, forcing the lighter fuel upward, ensuring good fuel supply at the fuel pickup, next to the valve - this is based on the 'any liquid will seek it's own level' concept from.......you guessed it: Science 101.

So, don't worry about the flapper-valve, unless your draw-straw is on top of it, holding it closedI'm not sure where the flapper is, but my guess is it's in the bottom of the canister in between the mesh holes on the underside and another piece that covers that or it's somehow connected to the plastic piece that is taking the place of the fuel pump? So what I'm saying is the slot that I squeezed the hose/drawstraw into is not the flapper valve location
Someone will have to take more picture's of the inside of the canister when they get it. The flapper is not something that is hanging out there for all to see. GMCTD where did you get the info on the Liberty Module? Can we look that up somewhere? I'd like to see how the internals work on that and on the dodge fuel pump. That would make this alot easier to understand. Far all of us!

Found that link I'll post it here too http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/im...umpExposed.pdf
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 PM

There's a link with pics in the original 'is yer fuel tank startin' to look like swiss cheese' thread, on this forum, to Glacier Diesel, where their Dodge module was destructively tested - he was mostly right in his analysis, except for the function of the foam and the mass-differential operation of the valve - I semi-destroyed my Jeep module in working out a scheme for replacing the filter screen cage with a lift pump, rather than purchasing the hi-buck module - but yeah, you're right: the one-way flapper valve is under a screen in both modules - the draw-straw could possibly even enhance valve operation, if it were properly centered over the screen - for the theory of operation, it's simple Science 101
Old 01-28-2008, 10:25 PM

PT, several differing measurements are used for line used for moving some substance from one place to another -

- tubing is measured on the outside diameter, or o.d., so when you say 3/8" tubing, you're not talking about the area the fluid flows thru, which is the inside diameter - the i.d is determined by wall thickness of the tube - f'rinstance the injection lines on your truck appear to be ~5/16" dia - if you removed the ball from your ball-pen, you could barely fit the ball into the end of the hi-pressure injection tubing - tubing is everything from your injection lines to fuel and brake lines to exhaust "pipe" to the large axle tubes on your differential(s) - for automotive use, hard steel tubing is often called 'pipe', where plastic is called tubing - (rubber is called hose, which is measured by i.d. so it will fit over tubing)

- pipe, on the other hand, is measured on the i.d., so when you say 1/2" water pipe, the o.d. is ~3/4" - there also, wall thickness determines the area available for flow, but just like tubing, increased wall thickness reduces the i.d., because 1/2"npt is always 1/2"npt, no matter how thick the walls - so, 1/2" 150psi water pipe is nominally 1/2" i.d. - 1/2" 10000psi pipe is ~1/4" i.d.

So, as mentioned, you gotta look at the hole in the fitting, rather than the outside, because fuel flows thru the hole, not around the outside - at least, it works out way better for us if it doesn't flow around the outside - whadda waste, right?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 PM

Not trying to be a stickler here, but couldn't you just do this with your stock canister? I'm confused as to why you need to go out and get the Jeep canister.
Great Idea...I think I am going to try gutting mine....

Originally Posted by 06CTDforAU
That's the beauty of a Walbro pump. Takes just a couple minutes to change one out in the event of a failure.
ANY aftermarket external pump could be bypassed or changed just as quick as a walbro....you just need to have a plan on how you want to do it in advance...
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 03 has the retro in-tank conversion. Is there any reason why the Liberty canister/module won't fit in my 03 tank? Some say the 04.5 and up tank is different and the modules will not interchange between the two but I can't find any information as to why....anybody know? They sure do look like they would interchange to me.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 53 ******
Great Idea...I think I am going to try gutting mine....

I was wondering about this also....please take pics when you gut it! After looking at the Glacier in tank disection, I am getting 2nd thoughts about gutting it.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the 03-04.5's have different tank module...so I am not sure the 05-06 jeep can is different mounting style???

any of you guys know for sure???

Quick Reply: Modded Jeep Liberty Canister/Fuel Module