3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks J.T.

"Gear driven" I think Mike means gerotor, like an oil pump - and "vacuum" just means it sucks! Guess there's no way to know unless you take one apart.

Makes me wonder how an oil pump would work... certainly enough pressure, but I bet the displacement is too small for adequate volume...? (sigh) so many projects - so little R&D time....
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Is the Mitusa a gerotor pump?
My bet is that it is not a gerotor, just a spur gear pump. BTW I thought 65 goats had a 389's.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:30 AM

In 1981, I swapped the 389 Poncho mill into the Lemans and dropped the thumper Ram Air III from the Firebird into the goat... guess there isn't much else on my lil' GTO that's original, either!

Never could bring myself to get rid of the 6.5 Liter callouts, though...
Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 PM

In 1981, I swapped the 389 Poncho mill into the Lemans and dropped the thumper Ram Air III from the Firebird into the goat... guess there isn't much else on my lil' GTO that's original, either!

Never could bring myself to get rid of the 6.5 Liter callouts, though...
Very cool even though I am a die hard 389 fan. As for what is mentioned above about the two fuel systems are the exact same as a 289 is to a 389. Righht.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Too true, Opie - hard to beat a belt-driven mechanical gear pump for output & reliability...

p.s. when are we gonna get an Ultimate Tranny dealer down here?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

Sounds great for moat applications. What is any concern is there with the pullers and mud runners with debris in the small belt during off road excursions?

In my street car I have always stayed away from the belt drives for cams due to possibility of debris getting in the belt path.

Damon
Old 09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by mopardamo
Hello,

Sounds great for moat applications. What is any concern is there with the pullers and mud runners with debris in the small belt during off road excursions?

In my street car I have always stayed away from the belt drives for cams due to possibility of debris getting in the belt path.

Damon
Exactly my thought.. I'm frequently driving through high weeds and cornfields on the farm. I would think this set up in more for the dragstrip guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:36 PM

The installations I've seen have it way up over the CP3 - if you get F.O.D. in the Mitusa pulley/belt area, you're gonna have bigger problems to worry about!

We already have an 11-12' serpentine belt up front....
Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM

We ran pretty much the same setup on the Modified (Roundy Round..Dirt Track).....It was on a dual purpose fuel and steering pump. Through the 6 years I ran I maybe changed the belt twice...just for piece of mind. I have no worries running one on my truck.....knowing what the racecar went through...there were many tracks on many nights that felt like a Baja track!

Opie...if ya don't mind me asking....what is the cubic inch difference in the Mit versus the Fuel Boss?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:30 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure they'll both suck the white off of rice!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by OPIE
As for what is mentioned above about the two fuel systems are the exact same
Am I loosing my mind or did the post about the two pumps being the exact same vanish in thin air? I can't seem to find it! Man I need sleep!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 PM

Opie was just waxing hyperbolic & satirical by comparing the relationship between the 2 pumps akin to that of a Ford 289 & Pontiac 389... of course, in the latter case - one sucks a lot more than the other!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Gotcha....Thanks
Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by -PowerWagon-
We ran pretty much the same setup on the Modified (Roundy Round..Dirt Track).....It was on a dual purpose fuel and steering pump. Through the 6 years I ran I maybe changed the belt twice...just for piece of mind. I have no worries running one on my truck.....knowing what the racecar went through...there were many tracks on many nights that felt like a Baja track!

Opie...if ya don't mind me asking....what is the cubic inch difference in the Mit versus the Fuel Boss?
I don't mind at all but there are couple reasons I don't.

I am not a vendor here nor am I trying to get any business. The graph comparison thing becomes tainted so instead, the smaller pump supports 750 hp in the real world. Mathmatically the next pump up supports 1500 but none of the trucks running it have gotten there yet. The belt replacement above is what I recommend one every three years. Fuel pumps lol, look back notice anything?
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ie+rasp&page=8
Old 09-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The installations I've seen have it way up over the CP3 - if you get F.O.D. in the Mitusa pulley/belt area, you're gonna have bigger problems to worry about!

We already have an 11-12' serpentine belt up front....
You can see my Mitusa at the bottom of this pic:

Paul

Quick Reply: Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!