3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!

In my search for fuel supply, I have researched many different types of fuel systems. My initial thought was to kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak by going with a PDR cam with a pump lobe on it. This way, I would not only save cost but have the cam for better EGT's, performance and economy, and also have plenty of fuel from a 12V mechanical pump. Problem is, on the 3rd gens, there is no holes for mounting a 12V mechanical pump, 2nd Gens (Willyslover has a PDR Cam and 12V pump on his truck) have the holes but not the 3rd Gens.

I knew I really didn't want to go with an electric pump, eventually brushes would burn out and have to be replaced or the pump would either fail or burn up leaving me stranded. Been there and done that with the White Obsession (my former 99 CTD truck) more times than I can count.

For the last 3 months I have been a Beta Tester for a "NEW" mechanical lift pump for the 2nd and 3rd gens. It Rocks!! I am extremely impressed with this system. I have had no issues at all with it!

First let me tell you what's in the kit.

New cap for fuel filter (because of the pressure and a fuel line runs in the top of it)
All fuel lines and fittings
Mitusa pump with mounting bracket, bolts and belt
adjustable regulator
Fuel shutoff solenoid

This system utilitizes your stock fuel filter and the stock electric lift pump for initial pressure. When fuel pressure reaches 12 or so pounds the fuel solenoid turns your stock electric lift pump off and you are running on the Mitusa. It is designed with a wire to run inside your truck that you can hook a LED light up to, this will light-up when the stock electric lift pump is running and once the system has reached about 12#'s the light goes out. This way, if the Mitusa blows a belt or something the light will come on letting you know that there is a problem, but it will not leave you stranded because you will have your stock electric lift pump to run on.

The fuel lines attach to your standard pickup out of your fuel tank. At this time, the option of replacing the fuel tank pickup has not been developed or talked about. It may be an option in the future. Not exactly sure how the Mitusa will work with the intank pumps, but I sure the developer will have a fix for it in the future!

I am running 20.5#'s at an idle, I cruise 70 MPH down the highway at 23+#'s and at WOT on 5x5 with the Hot Juice I can only pull it down to 16#'s. My pressures are measured right off the CP3. I also still have the stock banjo bolts except the one on the CP3 where I install my fuel pressure line. I have a mechanical DiProcal fuel pressure gauge.

My understanding is that this system can produce as much as 100 PSI!

This pump has been designed by someone almost everyone knows, for years he has designed and marketed billet shaft for transmissions! Yes it is Opie. He is putting together a dealer network and I'm sure within a short period of time you will get a list of the dealers for you purchasing pleasure! Everyone that knows Opie, knows how meticulous he is in anything he designs. This product is no different! It is an extremely clean mounting system and well thought out.

I highly recommend the Mitusa, I feel this is the answer to our lift pump problems.

I might also mention, he make them for the DuraMax's also!
Old 04-08-2006, 10:08 PM

Sounds interesting, where's the pics?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:45 AM

What all was involved with the mounting procedure?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM

Man, this sounds exactly like something I was looking for. I had been considering Walbro bypass w/valves/ like TRK396 in order basically to have
two systems if one left me in the boonies. This sounds much easier to hook up
than a Walbro since it utilizes stock lp & filter. This would mean it goes "In Front" of stock lp & filter? This thing sounds coooool! Whats the damage $$$ for the kit (Appx)?
Old 04-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Where did you get it?
Old 04-09-2006, 02:21 PM

How much you got in the system $$$? Sounds pretty interesting. Wonder if it would work with the modified cp3's out there?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:17 PM

sounds similar to a RASP. Whats the price on the kit???
Old 04-09-2006, 03:58 PM

The quality of aftermarket pieces from " backyard engineers " never ceases to amaze me on the exploding diesel market ! I want one !!! Pics please !!! Oh please !!! Been waiting for this kind of setup , definately keep us in the loop .
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 PM

I bet it's worth 1 to 1.5 mpg increase, too!

Andy
Old 04-09-2006, 05:17 PM

A picture is worth a 1000 words!

New fuel filter cap:

Cog belt driven off the crank:

Mitusa installed with mounting bracket:

Don't quote me but I think this will be priced to compete with the FASS and Air Dog.

Also talked with Opie today about flow numbers. Open flow (no pressure, this is the way that all electric pumps are rated) is 136 gal per hr. Flow at 100 PSI is 65 gal per hour. He is going to send me the flow numbers with the setup on my truck which is 20.5 psi at an idle. He also told me he is having the Mitusa Beta Tested on a couple of 1000 HP trucks. He should have some feedback on those truck in a month of so.

He also has the plumbing for the trucks with the intank lift pump figured out. Everything will be available shortly!
Old 04-09-2006, 08:11 PM

Must Have!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 AM

Opie responded to the following tread about the flow of the Mitusa. He said that at 20.5 psi, the Mitusa would flow 121 gallons per hour at 2650 rpm's.

Here is the link, look at post #29:

http://www.nwbombers.com/forum/index...ic=23032&st=20
Old 04-10-2006, 07:47 AM

Is priming an issue with a CP3? A mechanical pump like this won't prime the CP3 as an electrical one would.

Andy
Old 04-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Sounded like in the first post that the truck gets up and running on the stock electric lift pump and then switches once it hits 12 psi to the mechanical pump. Therefore it doesn't sound like priming will be a problem as it still will prime on start-up. Sound and looks like a great system.

Travist
Old 04-10-2006, 11:38 AM

Wow, two pumps. Why do people insist on running two pumps? It's like sucking pop through a coffee stir stick. Unless they aren't in series, I need to reread the post, maybe they aren't.

Andy

Quick Reply: Mitusa Mechanical Lift Pump! It Rocks!!!