3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ldzielak
Better flow and volume will all help compared to the stock head. I have heard and by looking at the designs of the intake horns, extra plenum even if not optimum volume still helps when your adding HP. At some point too large of a plenum would also cause tubo lag right? Would not an oversized Intercooler act in the same way?

I have wanted to try and increase efficiency of this engine, I have always wanted an Intercooler and intake horn even if the benefits are minimal. Those I can do later, right now I'm tryiung to sell my self on the big ticket items I should do while the engine is stripped and hopefully, never to this point again.

Lee

Best engine related bang for the buck (my opinion). In order.
1) Smarty
2)Twin turbos (will actually do what you hope the head work will)
3) F-1 Injectors(looking at my 4th set)
4) Helix2 and Sportsman springs
5) Dual Cp3's (Floor-It stage 3 became available after I bought my dual set)
6) Intercooler. No, the larger reserve capacity does not seem to hurt spoolup.
7) Intake and port work. Don't expect gains in peak power or cooling if you are below 800hp (the common rail head flows well enough below that level). Even then the gains are minimal.

Best advice I could offer would be to listen carefully when Malcolm speaks.
I have spent many times what you have and he has never misdirected me nor have I had to spend my money twice.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lee,

I am off to the shop this morning. I will bolt em in the test bench and report back.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
Best engine related bang for the buck (my opinion). In order.
1) Smarty
2)Twin turbos (will actually do what you hope the head work will)
3) F-1 Injectors(looking at my 4th set)
4) Helix2 and Sportsman springs
5) Dual Cp3's (Floor-It stage 3 became available after I bought my dual set)
6) Intercooler. No, the larger reserve capacity does not seem to hurt spoolup.
7) Intake and port work. Don't expect gains in peak power or cooling if you are below 800hp (the common rail head flows well enough below that level). Even then the gains are minimal.

Best advice I could offer would be to listen carefully when Malcolm speaks.
I have spent many times what you have and he has never misdirected me nor have I had to spend my money twice.
I like my Diablo and from what I can gather over the years, it is the next best thing to the Smarty (I'll go smarty when I need the higher RPM or Tire size). I would rather have a good all around base tune and use the TST more on the fly when I need the power.

I 100% agree with your list. Twins were always in my plans but I wanted to upgrade to dual CP3's at the same time. Then I got fired this June and my plans got put on hold. That is why I went with a relatively small HTT 62/65/13ss since I planed on going twins later and would re-use it and benefit from extra large waste gate port.

I think HTT is making a nice intercooler, I can get one shipped back with my Turbo when the upgrade to 64 is done. Price would be the same as a ZZ intake Manifold. I don't think I can do it all now, So I'm still trying to decide what would be best to do. I will talk to Malcolm when he gets back.

Winter is comming and I just moved (In process, need truck fixed first) to Quesnel. I just want a setup that spools well and runs 500-550HP. I think I should be close with Flux 1.6, Helix2 w/ spings and 64/65/13ss.

Originally Posted by Don M
I am off to the shop this morning. I will bolt em in the test bench and report back.
Don thanks for the update, looking forward to hearing my #5 injector is junk and the root cause.

Lee
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Don,

Did you get a chance to bolt up those injectors? I just read about Malcolm's awesome day!!! WOW is all I can say...
Old 09-07-2008, 02:41 AM

Today was nothing...Fuel only.....Wait til he runs tomorrow.

Enough of this holding back crap!
Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 AM
DTR Advertiser

Sorry for the delay, I took my 3 boys dove hunting last night after I got away from the shop. ( -:

Anyway, 2 tested not good. 5 and 6. Not terrible, but not "perfect" Not a hard repair on either.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Don M
Sorry for the delay, I took my 3 boys dove hunting last night after I got away from the shop. ( -:

Anyway, 2 tested not good. 5 and 6. Not terrible, but not "perfect" Not a hard repair on either.
Hey Don,

Thanks for the news. If you get a chance Monday can you give me a call or some more details by email. My number and email are in my first post.

Thanks again,

Lee
Old 09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
O.T

Hey Don,

Thanks for the news. If you get a chance Monday can you give me a call or some more details by email. My number and email are in my first post.

Thanks again,

Lee
Lee, I just had an engine custom built...pm if you need some direction.
Rob
Old 09-08-2008, 02:53 PM
DTR Advertiser

Hey Don,

Thanks again,

Lee
We changed the nozzles on the 2 that were acting up Saturday. They are fine now. All 6 run good. Those 2 nozzles were coated in aluminum and 1 other ( number 4 ) got pretty hot too. Although it tested fine, it has enough color to cause concern. Nice a violet/blue colored = not good.

IMO, you got the engine pretty toasty at some point and it was enough to melt to pistons.

Got any details on the engine? parts used, etc? Towing heavy?
Old 09-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Don,

My travel trailler is 25' and is 6000-7000 lbs. I only towed it once this year, a few hours before I broke the engine. I had the TST setup to cut at 1400, normally 1250 for towing, but my temps never even passed 1100 when towing this trip. I finaly installed my BD OD lockout, got stuck in trafic and had a slow 80-90km/hr drive to my parents (45 mins) to drop off the trailler. My current setup when engine died is in my sig, except for BD OD lockout.

Like I said earlier my engine failed at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in a very light effort pass on the highway. You know just roll on and blow by 1 car.

A couple of months back I did have my transmittion cooller (trans to engine coollant heat exchanger replaced) This was under warranty because it had started to leak trans fluid. The dealer screwed up and air locked my cooling system, I got 2-3 miles from the dealer when engine hight temp light came on. I had to limp back to the dealer (all tunes were off). Who knows how hot everything got that time. I wonder iff this was the root cause of the failure.

My truck is/was still under warranty, they did not want to cover the injectors since I have a TST. I don't think the TST had anything to do with the faillure, but I knew injectors were not my only problem. Dodge recomendation to just drive it with new injectors from them, this was not an option, I need to move my familly 12 hours away and I need my truck to be reliable once fixed.

Don, did you put on some Flux 1.6 nozzels? If you have anything in writting I can take back to the dealer that could help me re-coupe some of my rebuild cost I would be soooo greatfull. Will you be able to ship a Helix2 and springs back at the same time as the injectors?

Malcolm has some pictures of the Block and Head I think, but I have not seen them yet. I'm guessing he will be back in the shop tomorrow.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 09-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Small update, machining is done on block and head, while balancing they found 1 connecting rod 50 grams (1.76 oz) heavier than the rest. Jamie looks like I got one of yours now!!

Now just waiting on Injectors, Cam, Springs and Turbo to ship and I guess I will have a truck again...

Lee
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM

Right on!

You moving off the the rock?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Are you going to get a Banks Boss Hoss or ZZ fab intake?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Moving to Quesnel, up here now, been working 1 week. Family stuck in Campbell River till house is sold and truck is fixed. They we can buy another one.

I would have had to order a ZZ intake on Monday to get it shipped this week. They are off to Boneville salt flats this weekend.

I have not located a Banks intake, so I guess I'm not getting an after market manifold

Lee
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 AM

Don't sweat the manifold.
Save your money and put it toward a twin set.

Quesnel.....That's a long way from the coast!
Got to do what you gota do....been there done that!

You are going to love your truck.

Quick Reply: Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747