3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747

I'm looking for one of these ASAP:

To make a long story short, I was passing a car, about 1/2-3/4 throttle on stock program (no Diablo tune) and TST on 5/9 with 2 on pressure and 1400 high temp. Got besides the guy and something let go in the engine, boost went to zero!!! When I tried to give it some pedal after coasting past, all I could get was injector noise and missing on 1 cylinder. No boost and no power just huge black smoke. I figured I blew my turbo or something and lost an injector as the result. When I pulled over the truck died like it was out of fuel.

I got a lift home and got some tools to pull off my AFE intake on the side of the road, HTT 62/65/13SS is just fine, no boost leaks either, when starting the truck in turned over slower than normal like it was working harder and took an extra 2 seconds to start.

So towed to dealer 1km away(they know my truck has mods and told me to get a downloader in the first place.) the truck went. I have many friends with cars that hate this dealer since they only have limited trouble shooting abilities but they had always been good to me. They figured I had 4 out of 6 injectors bad and wanted to sell me new ones. They said my box caused them to fail and would not warranty them. Put in the injectors and drive without the box for a few weeks was Dealers final answer.

Every other performance shop told me there is more too it. Well the dealer could not figure out how to do a simple blow down test even when I got them the gear, so off the a real shop goes my truck 150 km tow and $766 in diagnostics and injector removal at the dealer.

Verdict, #5 cylinder done, #6 too. lost and Intake seat on #5 cylinder.

So engine is out, #5&#6 getting new sleeves and pistons.
All bearings gaskets everything is will be new again, I only had 65000 km on the truck but why take the risk.
All valve seats getting redone and pressed in tighter.
H2 Cam and springs.
Injectors will be Flux 1.6 when they come back from Don M. Don if you read this can I get an update on how bad they were.
BD pulse exhaust manifold.
HTT 62/65/13ss going back to HTT to check for weak/leaking waste gate and will be upgraded to 64/65/13ss.

I really want to do the Banks intake while the head is off and already at the machine shop. From what I have been told Banks has pulled the intake from the market. There are 3 other trucks up hear with the intake and they are all great. Malcolm@ Harbour City Diesel (24vchevy here)(the shop who is doing the work) has one on his race truck and pulled a 9.96sec 1/4 at August Blackout with no issues on his.
If anyone has or knows anyone who has a manifold and has not pulled their head off please call me 250-204-9229 ASAP or email lee.dzielak@telus.net.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Here is one you can get. I have heard of others trying to get the Banks manifold and only get the run around.
http://www.zzcustomfabrication.com/diesel.htm
Old 09-05-2008, 12:41 AM

Not really interested in ZZ unit. Read a few things with problems supporting the HP injector lines. But thanks Matego.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If one goes to the trouble of machining the intake plenum off of the cylinder head, why not fabricate an individual-runner manifold?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:51 AM

Amen...I would love to tig one of those up!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't believe somebody hasn't done one yet - but I've just seen the log/truncated runner type... better, but why stop there?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM

A forced induction engine does not benifit from individual runners as much as a naturally aspirated engine does. It would look cool though.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:03 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel Doc
A forced induction engine does not benifit from individual runners as much as a naturally aspirated engine does. It would look cool though.
AMEN!

Add the fact that the engine is direct injected. The biggest problem is no plenum volume, at least not enough for a 60 cubic inch cylinder. A standard and proven formula is 3 times the cylinder volume. The ZZ and the Banks both ignore this. Not on purpose, but by room restrictions under the hood.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Doc
True, but cylinders 4,5 and 6 run cooler with an aftermarket intake like the ZZ or Banks.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is still too hot.
Is the pyro reading 5+6?
Is the cooling system part of why the back runs hotter?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 PM

Don M,

Have you had a chance to go through my injectors? Malcolm Cross (24VChevy) sent them down to you. I know he has been in touch with you, but not sure what the verdict was.

Thanks,

Lee
Old 09-05-2008, 10:06 PM

ldzielak,

Malcolm rebuilt my engine and installed the Banks intake on my truck....I'm very happy with both the work and the results.

As much as I like the mod I would suggest you first look at getting twins or a turbo that can control the excess heat your current fuel system is creating. The Flux injectors will really wake up the power, but you'll have more heat to control.

Just out of curiosity. Did you buy my old turbo set?

I've been down your road...Feel free to PM me if you want to ask more.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:37 PM

Snapoff,

not your old turbo set, I have an early 62/65/13ss purchased from Source Automotive (We hade to modify some of the waste gate bolts to clear the block becuase the early casting were too big. Dave @ HTT said these were the best ones in his opinoin.

I figured I could play and make the truck as reliable as possible. Let me tell you I have been so much harder on this truck than when it failled. Like my sig reads, I did all the guages, ARP suff long before the BOMBS. It was a nothing attempt to pass the car. I was not even WOT and no Diablo tune, only TST on what I would consider mild. I know my temps were not crazy, something failled and killed my engine. Just my bad luck, I got fired in June and things have sucked since then.

My personal feeling is the dealer took the truck for a test drive part of their diagnostics (I would not drive the truck), I told them that something broke, not just an injector going bad (I think they did more harm than good, but how do you proove it?). I think they damaged #6, #5 failled on me, maybe the seat on #5 failed caused the problem, maybe my injector stuck (waiting on feedback from Don M) I know I wasted $766 at the dealer in hopes of it being any easy fix, I did pay them (too much) to pull the injectors since I needed the truck fixed ASAP. They also once vapor locked my cooling system maybe 5000 km ago, I know I over heated the engine that afternoon and limped it back to the dealer, maybe that is what started all this mess.

My truck will get fixed right by Malcolm (24VChevy) I will have a F1 H2 cam, exhaust manifold, maybe intake if we can find one (Greg at ZZ can make me one next week before he goes to Boneville to race), F1 injectors and since motor is down upgrading the HTT from 62ss to 64ss.

My bill will be over $16K, but like they always say, pay to play. I already have $20K into this truck on top of the $45K I paid (I still paying the bank for it) Just how mu luck has been.

Lee
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snapoff
True, but cylinders 4,5 and 6 run cooler with an aftermarket intake like the ZZ or Banks.
Very true, but the banks and zz are not individual runner I was talking about a intake that looks like a header with individual tubes to each port.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 PM

Better flow and volume will all help compared to the stock head. I have heard and by looking at the designs of the intake horns, extra plenum even if not optimum volume still helps when your adding HP. At some point too large of a plenum would also cause tubo lag right? Would not an oversized Intercooler act in the same way?

I have wanted to try and increase efficiency of this engine, I have always wanted an Intercooler and intake horn even if the benefits are minimal. Those I can do later, right now I'm tryiung to sell my self on the big ticket items I should do while the engine is stripped and hopefully, never to this point again.

Lee

Quick Reply: Melted Cylinder #5&6 NEED Banks Intake Manifold PT#42747