3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

MBRP muffler install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP muffler install

I finally got my new muffler installed yesterday. I ordered a MBRP muffler and "S" pipe from DPP last Friday and received it on Tuesday of this week. I installed it myself laying in the driveway in about an hour. First of all I went to a mechanic friends house Wednesday to rent his lift to do the install but it wasn't meant to be. He didn't have the tools there to get the job done and I didn't take mine with me so we couldn't complete the mission. I used a sawzall to cut the existing exhaust pipe to remove the stock muffler since the stock clamps crimped the flanges. It sounds good and not too loud I'll let you guys know how the fuel mileage is.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:35 PM

I wanna get that kit for mine ..........how much of a p.i.t.a. was the removal and install ?

Thanx,
Roger
Old 05-14-2006, 03:32 PM

I just finished mine about an hour ago and it wasn't as bad as I expected. I too used a saw-zaw to cut the stock muffler off and it took about an hour to do. I bought mine from Mark at DPP last week he had the best price and the fastest shipping.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 AM

It wasn't too bad, it will be easier if you have another person help. I ordered mine through DPP and had it in two days shipped ups and it cost $163.84 delivered to S.E. Kansas. The part number is MK96116. That fits a 2006 LWB QC.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 AM

have any of you had a problem with the hangers lining up? i'm in the process of installing mine now, but all the hangers miss each other by about an inch and a half. its like the hangers should've been welded another inch and a half towards the back of the truck. i sent some pics to jason at MBRP to look at.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fyrguy316
have any of you had a problem with the hangers lining up? i'm in the process of installing mine now, but all the hangers miss each other by about an inch and a half. its like the hangers should've been welded another inch and a half towards the back of the truck. i sent some pics to jason at MBRP to look at.
I had this problem with my MegaCab, but they missed by a lot more than an inch or two. Luckily I was having a shop around the corner from my office do the work, so they just ground them off and weld them back on at the right spot.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:30 PM

You must of not cut at the right place. My hangers lined up perfect on my 05
Old 05-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
You must of not cut at the right place. My hangers lined up perfect on my 05
On my MegaCab, the hangars were off so far when I mounted the exhaust the tail pipe interfered with the rear axle.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:42 PM

I had another member mention that I should hold the muffler and "s" pipe up to the existing system to make sure to cut in the right place. You will need to work from front to the back attaching the tail pipe last. Those rubber hangers can be a pain but they will pull out. Be sure and not cut the pipe too short like I did or you will have to add a short piece. If you measure it right the hangers will line up.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM

The hangars on mine lined up fine front to back, but were about 1/2" too long. Now every once and a while Ill get this high pitched squeal from the hangars rubbing on my frame rail. I need to get back under there and do some selective bending to try to fix it. Other than that, the install was painless and the sound is amazing. -Tim-
Old 05-31-2006, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to cut a hanger off the muffler and re-weld it to get mine to work. I'm still trying to figure out how you guys did it in an hour when it took me that long AT LEAST just to get the cat off the downpipe.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I had to cut a hanger off the muffler and re-weld it to get mine to work. I'm still trying to figure out how you guys did it in an hour when it took me that long AT LEAST just to get the cat off the downpipe.
Thats where the sawz all comes in handy, it is easier to cut the pipe than it is to split the flanges on the pipe and pull it apart. I also only replaced the muffler and not the cat with a test pipe.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:15 PM

i ended up bending the hangers back to where i needed them. took some messing around and about 4 days to do it but it works. i only worked on it in the evenings, thats why it was 4 days. deleted the kitty, so far sounds pretty good. the air intake is tomorrow. hopefully it goes quicker
Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 PM

hangers

When i installed mine full mbrp the pipe went together fine but the hangers had to be heated and adjusted, other than that sounds great.