3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

MBRP Cool Duals installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP Cool Duals installed

Wow, I cannot explain how stoked I am with the MBRP Cool Duals I just installed. I held off for a long time before buying just some old plain jane exhaust for my truck. The install was easy, I just cut the old one off and read the instructions, Yes I broke down and read the instructions so I could do it right. But the system just slid together and bolted up and I had instant smiles from the family and loving the sound and looks of the Cool Duals on these Dodge Duallys. My hats off to the guys at MBRP. I was happy I could do it myself and not have to pay some local shop a handfull of cash to do it. Total time was just at 3 hours and a few smoke breaks. Sounds good and no drone. I recommend getting one of these systems if you have a 3rd Gen Dually.

Donnie Watson
Radio Chief
1st Recon Battalion
USMC
Old 02-03-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great. Sounds like you are happy with the duals. I love mine also...great sound!!!!

Let us know if they every loosen up on ya. Mine has loosened up 4 times already and I'm having to adjust it again this weekend for the fifth. I've located each clamp as close to the end of the pipe as possible to 'clamp' the inner pipe. If I tighten the nuts anymore I'm sure they will pop. But its apparently not enough. Now thinking about putting a small spot weld on each joint to prevent it from sliding around.

Here are some pics....

Old 02-03-2005, 05:25 PM

Yea, I was thinking of Tacking all the joints so it stays in place. I am really happy with it though. I am going to take some pics of it this weekend after I wash the rig up. Also going to attempt to put all my Banks Six Gun bundle on so I can really hear this puppy scream. I am already having fun pulling up to the Import racers and blowning diesel fumes on them.

Donnie
Old 02-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Try replacing the U clamps with band clamps, I changed all mine at time of install and have had no problems.

More Pics

Rick
Old 02-03-2005, 07:48 PM

I got sick of readjusting and retighten everything so I bought a spool of stainless steel for $100 and had my buddy that has a shop weld the whole thing. Now it's solid and no more little leaks. Can't spend that much $ for a shiny SS exhaust system and use normal steel weld. It would just rust and look like ____!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rick D
Try replacing the U clamps with band clamps, I changed all mine at time of install and have had no problems.

More Pics

Rick
Great idea! I thought of doing the same but thought band clamps were only for two pipes with same OD and not for a slip joint. So they do make them with a step down for a slip joint......great!

Got any part numbers or where you got the clamps from? Are they stainless?

Going to try my local parts guy but doubt they'll have it.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:27 AM

NAPA actually sells both types. Don't have any P/N's, but I know they are there cuz I used 'em too!!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:28 AM

ot any part numbers or where you got the clamps from? Are they stainless?

Going to try my local parts guy but doubt they'll have it.
go to any truck shop and they will have them... my local truck shop has them in stock 4" and 5" in slip and butt joints... aluminumized are like 30% cheaper than the stainless ones... my BD exhaust system came with crimp type clamps, and they are pretty mickeymouse, so i got some of the band clamps...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:14 PM

How many clamps are needed on the MBRP dual system? Going to get them for my dodge and not sure if I need 3 or 5, I know 1 in front of the muffler and 2 behind, are the tail pipes all one piece?? Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

how do those tailpipes fit with the spare tire back there?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Pretty Snug, but you have clearance though.

Re-checked my system today. Everything still looks great and sounds good to. No little leaks anywhere yet. knock on wood. Great sound though. Sounds like the big rig its suppose to be.

Donnie
Old 02-04-2005, 05:35 PM

I've got plenty of room for the spare, and i installed a B&W turn over ball hitch and it fits fine also, I just can't turn over the ball, i just put a cap in the socket.

As for the clamps, to do the entire system it takes 6, the drivers side tail pipe is 2 pieces, i ordered mine from Air Flow Systems
you can get stainless or alluminium,

Rick