3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Major tranny problems please HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Major tranny problems please HELP

This is a copy. Sorry my computer froze and I wasn't sure if it save my post so I re-wrote it.

So in late May I had a tranny built for my truck, a HUGE upgrade price wise. When I got my truck back it seemed to run great. On June 12 my tranny went out (the TC blew up). After 5 more days without my truck I got it back again. Once again it seemed to run fine but on my way home the tranny light came on. I called the tranny shop and they said that they had not put in a resistor, which would allow the computer to see higher VB psi without throwing a code. The shop said that it should be fine till I could get it back within 2 weeks.
On June 30 I was on my way to take the truck down to the shop to get rid of this light and prepare for the holiday weekend when guess what…MY FRICKEN tranny blew again ! Apparently it was the TC again (yes this is a heavy duty TC). So of course nobody worked until the 5th and I was supposed to have my truck back this afternoon. Well here we go again, I guess one of their installers accidentally tore a seal that allowed the tranny to leak. After explaining to the manager that I HAVE to have my truck today he said they would stay late and fix the problem then I could come and get it. Now it is 11:49 and the tranny shop just called. They say that the tranny is fine but they believe that my computer is screwed up .
Supposedly the truck throws different codes every time they start it up (i.e. windshield wiper relay, low camshaft position etc.) also they claim that the truck sometimes starts out in third gear. What the heck is going on? Could my chip be causing any of this? Can this shop try to charge me for any parts related to the tranny since it worked fine when I originally took them the truck in May? Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.

P.S. don’t use A&G Transmissions in Modesto California

Sorry my computer froze and I wasn't sure if it save my post so I re-wrote it.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
computer could cause it but if it didnt do it before it went in, it should not do it after. make them replace it with a new one.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 PM

I spoke with the manager again this morning and he tried telling me that his warranty probably wont cover the computer if that is what is wrong. Does this make any sense considering that the truck had no problems prior to these guys working on it? Does any body know how much a computer might cost?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:30 PM

Something wrong with the computer???? huh?? Doesn't sound right at all. Take your truck from that place, cut your losses and call Dusty at HTS. It is a long way from Modesto, but so is Cape Coral, FL. Just speak to him and you will learn what is going on. These transmissions are complicated, and I have knowledge and experience to back this. Give the man a call. If you want his cell number, PM me.

Chris
Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

The 2003 Auto is controlled By a separate PCM,The ECM Has NO software for the Auto in 2003,also it is a very complex system and will need a expert to repair.All programing is thru star/DC...You may find a use one but watch out their are many different combinations...GOT H.O look for months until I shipped the corrected one...He was so flabbergasted said charge whatever you want..$275.00 was the Bill..This shop may have bit off more than they can Handle.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:45 PM

Does any body have any ideas as to what this shop could have done to wreck my computer? I am going to need some ammunition when I speek to the manager again.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:51 PM

I was told today from a service tech at a local Dodge dealer that the PCM may have overcompensated for the TC acting up which coul dhave sent an abnormal voltage spike causing failure. Does this make any sense?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by juice
I was told today from a service tech at a local Dodge dealer that the PCM may have overcompensated for the TC acting up which coul dhave sent an abnormal voltage spike causing failure. Does this make any sense?
He's trying to say the ECM got too much power from the PCM because it "overcompensated" because of the TC. This sounds like BS to me, but stranger things have happened. You need a DC tech to answer this question correctly.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:03 PM

I would call Ken Imler at Imler Diesel in Sacramento (not too far from Modesto). He is installing a new TC and VB in my '05 next week. Find out what he thinks.
916-920-3775
Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by juice
No it doesn't.

Computer failure is normally caused by too much amperage. This means there is too little resistance in one of the output solenoids.

Could it be coincidence? Maybe.
Could it be something the trans shop messed up? Certainly.