3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover

Well I added a MAG-HYTEC Rear Differential Cover today. My truck just turned 15,000 miles so it was due (according to DC) for it's front and rear diff fluid change. The installation was pretty straight forward. No major problems, but it did take me several hours to get all the replacement fluids (plus fluids for other maintenance stuff) and do the job with my limited mechanical experience.

I went ahead and went with the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic (I added no friction modifier) after making stops at 4 Auto Zones to get it. (They were all mostly sold out so I got 1 quart from one, 3 quarts from the second, and the rest from the 3rd...but had to go get more to do the front diff........but as it turned out I didn't need it anyway) I had checked wally world yesterday and they were out of it, or didn't stock it. Anyway, now that I know what to use, I will be a little better prepared next time.

I was surprized at how clean the fluids were. I had read some postings here on DTR about several guys having really gummed up dirty diffs. Mine was clean with a small mushroom of metal particles on the magnets in both. This is my first time to ever change out fluids in this truck......but also any vehicle.

I just cannot believe that DC says we need to do this every 15,000 miles. Why? Has anybody ever got an answer as to why they chose this particular number other than maybe to have the dealers make more money servicing them? Or to make more money selling the fluids maybe? I honestly believe my truck could have gone 75,000 or 100,000 miles on the fluid that was in there and it would have been fine. You could see through the clearness of the fluid as it drained into the pan. What a waste of time and money to keep the warranty up.

Oh well, I added the MH.....so hopefully keeping up with and doing the changes on the rear one will be easier in the future. At least now I will have the experience of doing it. The product looks really nice on the truck. Tomorrow comes the MH DD tranny pan (with tranny fluid and filter change) and an engine oil change with Shell Rotella.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you on the 15k thing
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 AM

Re: Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover

Originally posted by TexasCTD
I went ahead and went with the Mobil 1 75w-90 Synthetic (I added no friction modifier) after making stops at 4 Auto Zones to get it. (They were all mostly sold out so I got 1 quart from one, 3 quarts from the second, and the rest from the 3rd...
I had the same problem finding the stuff in Far North Dallas (Allen/Plano/McKinney). Pepboys was out, one Autozone had some, Wal-mart doesn't carry it, the Mobil 1 oil change place that I found doesn't have any , O'reillys doesn't stock it, stopped at a gas station and they didn't even carry engine oil, the last Autozone I went to had enough to let me finish. That was frustrating. Took me longer to find the gear oil than to do the job. Thought I was going to have to postpone putting the MH on.

~Rob
Old 04-05-2005, 03:01 PM

I belive changing the diff fluid at 15k is on schedule B, schedule A is at 60k, but check your owners manual.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reel Native,

I think you may be right. I went on my rant before I actually looked at the sever duty schedule (which I am following but probably don't need to). The other longer schedule I didn't even notice it.

I had originally decided to follow the Severe Duty schedule on the truck to take that much better care of it, but I may rethink changing the Diffs that often. I am still going to change the engine oil at 5000 though. (even the severe duty schedule says only every 7500 but I just can't go that long).

Hot Dram,

If you hear of a good place to get the Mobil 1 let me know. At least now I know what to use, so I won't have to make that decision again (I hope). ahhh...Decisions, Decisions. It creates so much stress in our lives. Hopefully Auto Zone will start stocking more of it too......if more people are buying it all off the shelves.