3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

mag-hytec front and rear diff covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mag-hytec front and rear diff covers

well the ball and chain has asked for a rear diff cover for her birthday. I will proably get front and rear both. I was looking around and found

mag-hytech and pml. I like the pml price and features but in all honesty I just like the look fo the mag-hytec better.

price is not really an issue becaue I woudl get the pollished PML if I got them as there is just not enough bling on the other two models to satisfy her on the looks I dont think.

It looked like the mag-hytec does not use two of the mounting holes in the rear but has the o-ring seal so it is proably not an issue. I also dont' quite understand the dipstick thing does thread in a seal well? would not want to have a place to get watter in the diff.

I also read the prototype of the front had some clearance issues is this fixed on the production model?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you post their websites?

Joe
Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM

As I recall, the dipstick has an O-ring on it, also.

Awhile back, it was suggested that the powder coating on the MH acted as an insulator & didn't allow the unit to cool as well as a plain alum. one.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-21-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am happy with mine. It does have an O-ring on the "dip stick". It will not allow water into the unit. It is magnatized so you can take it out and clean off any sludge or metallic particles off it that cling to it over time. Also allows you to check your fluid level after filling.

http://www.mag-hytec.com/

Old 06-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buffalo
As I recall, the dipstick has an O-ring on it, also.

Awhile back, it was suggested that the powder coating on the MH acted as an insulator & didn't allow the unit to cool as well as a plain alum. one.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
I would agree with the statement but I am not sure that I actually need any cooling so to speak she wants it for looks and I like the look of the mag-hytec better. I would have to buy the polished PML cover if I did so money is not the object it is maninly which I like the look of better.

polished PML vs mag hytech

pics of a polished PML cover would help alot but I have yet to find any of them installed.

I would love to see real world data of the non powercoat vs powdercoat but until I did I am not sure how much temp drop you would get coated vs uncoated.

I understand the thermal dynamics of raw aluminum having better cooiling poperties but I am not sure how much of the benifit in cooling it would add up to. all the fluid is still real close to the heat source.

here is the pml cover

http://www.yourcovers.com/dc_10361.shtml

Old 06-21-2006, 07:04 PM

I was curious about the temp drop as well....but from the factory cover to the Mag.

FYI...this was on my '97 F150. I modified the factory cover to put a temp sender in it. Going to the Mag-Hytec and synthetic fluid, There was a 15F drop in oil temp. After 2hr run in AZ heat (115F summer days) the diff would climb to 220F, with the mag-hytec cover. With the factory cover and factory synthetic, the diff would climb to ~235-240.

Also, the maintenance of the diff became more of an oil change, instead of an oil mess!

Once I get 1yr on mine & need to change oil, I'll be changing the cover to Mag, as well! The appearance is not the selling point for me, as it is for others....it's the fact that it is a well made part with o-ringed surfaces that makes maintenance a snap!

Tony
Old 06-21-2006, 11:30 PM

Hi guys...Pardon me for jumping in here, but do either of these covers (MH, or PML) have a port for a sending unit? I want to install a rear-diff temp gauge some day for pulling my fiver, and wonder if this would be an easy access point for the sending unit?

Thanks...Steve
Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by radshooter
Hi guys...Pardon me for jumping in here, but do either of these covers (MH, or PML) have a port for a sending unit? I want to install a rear-diff temp gauge some day for pulling my fiver, and wonder if this would be an easy access point for the sending unit?

Thanks...Steve

the MH is taped and pluged already so it is a done deal.

the PML cover has to be ordered that way or drilled and tapped when you get it. there is a boss for a sending unit. If you want them to do it basically call and order directly from them. I do not know if there is a fee for it. If there were I would just do it myself as drilling and tapping a hole is something I am not going to pay extra for.

it would be interesting to see if the raw aluminum PML was even more heat effeicent than the HM unit.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 PM

About a month ago one of the offroad magazines did some temperature testing with Mag Hytec. It showed a consistent 25deg cooling with various loads vs. stock.