3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Is a Mag hytec diff cover worth the $$'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dfranks
At the risk of being flamed,,,, INHO I do not think increased oil capacity is a good idea weather it is in the tranny or in the diffys, for one I think the extra fluid will act as a heat sink and keep the heat in the tranny or diffy longer as well as causing more stress whenit is colder outside.. The diff is designed to operate in only so much oil especially when it is cold, I am not sure if the extra stress in cooler conditions is smart. I will continue to change my diffy oil every 50k using stock fluid levels and full syntheticfluid. Maybe one day after all my other upgrades I will update the covers for the *bling* factor and at stock levels only. I plan on using the same practice when I service my tranny with upgrading to a drainplug kit with magnet only for the stock pan if I need additional cooling for my tranny I will install and additional cooler not add more oil ....
just my 2 cents....
When you get the Mag Hytec pan for example, the level is the same as the stock pan...the amount is what increases. I don't believe the added capacity hurts anything; it is just a larger amount of clean oil. In fact, it will take a longer time to get contaminated compared to a lesser amount in the same amount of time. Years of people having the Mag Hytecs have show that.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marine
When you get the Mag Hytec pan for example, the level is the same as the stock pan...the amount is what increases. I don't believe the added capacity hurts anything; it is just a larger amount of clean oil. In fact, it will take a longer time to get contaminated compared to a lesser amount in the same amount of time. Years of people having the Mag Hytecs have show that.
Unless you are installing the diffy cover incorrectly the oil should always stay clean and the only worry for contamination would be if you drove with the cover submerged in water. Water is the primary contaminate in differentials front or rear

increasing the oil capacity will not benefit anything.
a) it takes longer to warm up to operating temp (more stress on gears but that is limited due to synthetic oil being used)
b)The added oil will *hold* or retain the heat longer and act like a heat sink especially if you increase the weight of the oil over the stock recomendations
for example 75W140 vs 75W90

I think climates and how you use your truck will make the difference as well. Because of where I live I will never increase the volume of oil in any of the components of my truck unless it is to add an additional filter/cooler.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To each their own.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:15 PM

dfranks,

Just my thoughts,
Sustained medium temperatures don't harm oil or the gears in anyway, what does is VERY high temps even for short periods. Like you said, using a FULL synthetic almost removes low temp friction but also in combination with the extra capacity can drop sustained temps by 50 degrees and peak temps by at least 50 degrees. THAT'S HUGE. The heat sink on the MH over will also remove heat faster than the stock cover.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:11 PM

I got the mag-hytec in back and pml in front no rub issue with the pml front cover
Old 04-18-2007, 07:32 PM

I have both the front and back Mag Hytec covers, great fit, no rub/interference in the front. I am running the 75w140 Amsoil. Hot roads here in NM plus I tow a lot. I also have the Fast Coolers on the tranny and also running Amsoil in the tranny and transfer case.

CD
Old 04-18-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure how much the cover helps. I had an 80 in a 97 that always had metal on the magnet and ran hot - 280+ towing hard. A mag cover only cooled it about 3-4 degrees. The only thing that really helped was new bearings, a meticulous setup and RP 85w140. After that temp dropped 30+ degrees, no more metal and UOAs were terrific. I reused the oem ring/pinion. I still don't think you can go wrong with a mag cover but that's another thing that's very low on my list. Craig