3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Mag Hytec AA-9.25 for front axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag Hytec AA-9.25 for front axle

Is anyone else using this cover? I have all 3 Mag-Hytec covers, but the one for the front axle isn`t the best fit. My truck is stock, low miles, nothing wore out. The drag link rubs the fins when turning hard. There is a knock when I hit bumps, I think it may be the track bar tapping the cover, considering there is only an 1/8" gap from the cover when sitting parked with the wheels straight. I don`t think fluid capacity increased much either, 4 quarts at the full line. This was the most expensive cover of the three, and not worth the money. Maybe the PML fits better, I just like the drain plug. Any of you guys have any problems with the front axle cover? (AA-9.25)
Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

irish4u,

This is a fairly common problem, the PML covers were designed differently and do not rub FYI!

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-24-2006, 08:49 AM

I had one of the first covers from MH. Mine also rubbed. I just got one of the newest production covers that has a notch cut out of the top of the pan for the track bar problem. Does your cover have the little cut out ? If so they are going to have to redesign it again. I will put my second one on and see if it rubs. I talked to the owner and we have been back and forth on this. Is yours a prototype or a production cover (X on the SN or not). As for the fit mine was perfect on the prototype but not sure about the new production run in the garage. I looked at the PML but they are not a MH in my opinion just not the same quality wise. I think the PML has a drain does it not ?
Old 05-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Mine is a production cover. It is notched out for the track bar, but it looks like it should be all the way across and not have the hump sticking out. I like the MH better than the PML, but I don`t want it hitting the track bar either. Let me know how yours does. I know the PML has a drain plug, I was saying that I might get the PML to have the drain plug and not have the knocking. I like the Mag-Hytec products, like I said I have the rear cover and DD trans pan, and they are awesome. I just think that the front cover needs more refinement. I also talked to the owner, he said I could take a die grinder to where it hits. This thing is expensive, and I don`t want to have to grind on it.
Kevin
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 AM

***bump***
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 AM

I will let you know how mine works out once done. It won't be for another week or so. I'm really surprised that MH didn't take more out than just that little notch. We actually talked about it for a while. Hopefully they will have a fix, it only took 1.5 years to get this far.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Well I can see where its hitting. When the suspension is compressed the track bar smacks into the top of the cover by the fins. I guess it needs to be notched out more. A good test is to go over a speedbump slowy. When coming down off the bump a nice solid knock. I will take some pictures soon and post. Kevin
Old 06-06-2006, 06:39 PM

Photo is in my gallery. The shiny spots is where it is hitting. You can see two of the four spots in the pic. Kevin
Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irish4u
Photo is in my gallery. The shiny spots is where it is hitting. You can see two of the four spots in the pic. Kevin

Have you notified Mag-Hytec? I wonder if they are going to recast this thing and fix that problem. I have the rear cover, but im going to wait on the front till they get the bugs worked out. Or I may look at PML for the front.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:01 AM

After a few trips here is what my front cover looks like. I since have removed the axle link, and have taken a grinder to it and made just a wee bit more clearance, I hope between the wear on the cover and the small grinding on the link, it will not make anymore contact. I touched up the paint on both and will keep a watchful eye on it. I have sent e-mail to Jerry @ Mag-Hytec and waiting a response. By the way, my front cover serial number is X005.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm looks like I might wait a bit on the front cover. wonder how long it will take them for the second prototype revision to hit the market.

seems crazy they would even come to market with something that hit that bad.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

front cover

I'm sorry guys, I'm not dishing out $260 to grind on something. I just ordered the front and rear from Geno's. If the front cover hits something, it's going right back. The PML cover doesn't have the looks as the Mag Hytec, plus it doesn't have the other features.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:07 PM

Its getting kind of old hearing the cover I have banging into things. I would have to grind through the cover to keep it from hitting for sure. I hope they revise this thing. Kevin.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this sucks I just ordered the rear and wanted to do the front too but I just can't pull the trigger untill they resolve this.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

The PML's clear everything - front & rear - on my rig...

Quick Reply: Mag Hytec AA-9.25 for front axle