3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Luk Pro-Gold Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luk Pro-Gold Clutches

I think I will be in need of a new clutch in a couple of weeks, and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the Luk brand clutch. More specifically, the Pro-Gold Cerametalic version. I am looking at them because I can't afford a Southbend rigth now. The only other performance mod I am considering is switching to a Quad 0-30-60-100 box from the EZ, so I don't think I really need one that heavy-duty anyways. Any input good or bad on the Luk brand will be appreciated.
Scott
ps: what should I expect to pay for an install, truck has 43,000 miles so I assume the flywheel will need resufacing but no other linkage, etc... will need replacing.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Shameless bump.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:51 AM

No shame in that.

Luk makes the factory clutches, so I would surmise that they would have good experience with the Dodge
Old 05-26-2005, 12:07 PM

Thats what I like to see!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Like bigblock2stroke said. LUK makes allot of clutches, I know several companies stick their name on it, but still a LUK. I think you will be fine with the LUK.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 PM

The biggest problem I have heard is that the disc's are a metalic base which can over time chew away at the flywheel, whereas the SBC's are feramic which is organic and easier on the flywheel. But SBC does use their pressure plates in some of their kits.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:36 AM

Yeah, I guess they call it cerametalic, and if you look it up on their website it has a technical bulletin about abrupt engagement. The TST website states that it's not recomended for towing livestock, not that I do, but I found that amusing. I don't really tow anything actually, I just don't want to go back to an OE clutch. I'm somewhat considering an SBC Con O. I am within it's 350hp power range and it's less than $150 more than the Luk. Thanks for the input BigBlock, 67, and Matty.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:32 PM

Some info I found interesting. I just put a SBC Con ofe in my truck.
After some investigating I ask Peter at SBC if their clutches were new or remanufactured. His reply was that their clutches were New Modified. ie someone elses new clutch that they have modified to be better. I have mixed feelings about this. Not sure if I would still buy one.
On the other side the new clutch is better and holding.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:28 PM

Look into CenterForce clutch kits, just put one in mine and no slippage with TST
Watched a 02 with twins and just about everything else on dyno put down 550+hp 1050+Tq and zero slippage, so I figure I will never be above those numbers so this is fine for me and priced alot better
Old 05-30-2005, 10:42 AM

luk cerametallic

I replaced my stock clutch back in january, I used the luk cerametallic clutch. So far I am very impressed with it, I have some basic mods to my 03 edge box,afe filter,exhaust, I pull a fifth wheel ona regular basis up and down the mountains in colorado with no problem. I bought mine at dial-a-clutch.com good price compared to southbend.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:57 PM

I think that with the centerforce clutches they are very dependent on rpm's for clamping force due to their weight design in their pressure plate which isnt very good with a low rpm torquey cummins. I have only seen one in a friends 2002 that was only about 350 Hp and it held it but I havent talked to him in a long time.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:14 PM

Well, I appreciate the input guys. It will still be a couple of months before I can afford to do this. Price is definitely a factor right now, so I may even just have LUK's factory style clutch done. Not only am I having to make my usual payments, but have to save for my payments when I go back to school fulltime in the fall, and save for the clutch. Good news is that its doable though. Does anyone have a ballpark for what a shop should charge for an install so I don't get ripped. I have never had to have a clutch replaced before, so I am clueless as to how many hours it should take, etc...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:27 PM

I just talked to my buddy with the centerforce and he smoked it and went to a SBC.

I got mine installed by a very reputable shop in a half a day for 250. He was the cheapest everyone else was 350. That also included the flywheel machining.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM

I had the TST Ceramic. I was not impressed. It will definately hold the power but the engagement is the problem. With a trailer it is impossible to take off or back without jerking your teeth out. For about the same money you could get the SBC ConO for $48 more dollars and I'm sure it would have smoother engagement. The SBC Rally is a reasonablely priced clutch, but I've never talked to anyone that has one. My dad is in the market for a clutch and I would love to hear someones input if they have one.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by el jefe
Yeah, I guess they call it cerametalic, and if you look it up on their website it has a technical bulletin about abrupt engagement. The TST website states that it's not recomended for towing livestock, not that I do, but I found that amusing. I don't really tow anything actually, I just don't want to go back to an OE clutch. I'm somewhat considering an SBC Con O. I am within it's 350hp power range and it's less than $150 more than the Luk. Thanks for the input BigBlock, 67, and Matty.
Dont be like me, I thought the OFE was enough, Please! once the bugs bits down... I was wishing I went for the CON FE

I think the CON O may be a bit little for most - Out grow to quick

Quick Reply: Luk Pro-Gold Clutches