3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

lowering a 4x4 and tire fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowering a 4x4 and tire fitment?

Ive been having thoughts about going a different route with my truck... has anyone lowered their 4x4 2500's maybe an 1"-2" from factory? do you guys think I could fit some 325/60r18 (approx. 33.4" diameter) goodyear silent armors under the truck after i install a set of glassworks wide fenders in front and back? I want to go with a squatty wide look. also would a set of bilstien 5100's fit after i drop the truck and inch or two from factory? or would some custom shocks be in order?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:16 AM

just use 2WD front coil springs & shocks. also remove the rear blocks and use the 2WD shocks. done.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 AM

sweet. this sounds like the best bet for me. i dont actually want it mechanically dropped via lowering springs or anything that will give it too stiff of a ride. guess the real question will be how well those tire fit under there after I redo the suspension and use the glasswork wide fenders.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On the rear just remove the factory lifting blocks for a 1 1/2 inch drop. No need to change the shocks. I did mine about 170,000 miles back. This was recently discussed and I have written how to do it. Do a search and see what you find.

No problem with tire clearance or U-joints.

If you lower the front you will lose travel and you only have about 3 inches to begin with. Stock front suspension with lower profile or smaller tires might be better.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM

I actually dont think I have a stock block under the leaf. it looks as though my rear leaf pack has 2x .5" spacers. then a thick helper leaf. then the actual leaf pack. Im assuming i could get 1.5" or so by removing the spacers and helper spring. I bought my truck used and had aftermarket suspension. I didnt know It had this on the rear until just now.

the front id like to do possibly go with 2wd springs and shocks. but im worried my front end will ride lower than the rear if i go this route. not worried about travel as this will be a street truck.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A stock 2500 has two spacer blocks on each side. Each block is about 5 1/2" long, 3" wide and about 1/2" thick. Remove all four blocks to lower the truck. Above the blocks is the overload leaf. The overload is less effective with the blocks removed because you are reducing the travel available before the stop is contacted and the overload is designed to only work with some sag. The only drawback to lowering is the increased bottoming with the blocks removed and carrying a heavy load, but it looks better, it's easier to access the bed, get in and out of, and maybe, handling.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Raspy
A stock 2500 has two spacer blocks on each side. Each block is about 5 1/2" long, 3" wide and about 1/2" thick. Remove all four blocks to lower the truck. Above the blocks is the overload leaf. The overload is less effective with the blocks removed because you are reducing the travel available before the stop is contacted and the overload is designed to only work with some sag. The only drawback to lowering is the increased bottoming with the blocks removed and carrying a heavy load, but it looks better, it's easier to access the bed, get in and out of, and maybe, handling.
I gotcha. Im thinking ill get closer to 2" dropped in the back with both spacers and the overload taken out from the back. i dont tow heavy or put heavy stuff in the bed. every once in a while i might throw a couple hundred pounds in the back but thats it