3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Low Smoke Smarty Programs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Smoke Smarty Programs

Hey all. I now have my HTT 62/13ss on, & am waiting for my Smarty Sr. to arrive on Mon. What programs will get me the LEAST low end smoke? Thnks.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:03 PM

I think I remember ppeople sayin the aftermarket inj. programs smoke the least.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Thats what I heard as well. I was wondering which one was the right one for my truck. I think the aftermarket inj. programs retard timing. Do you lose power with those programs? I'm thinking of trying the aftermarket turbo, & injecter program on SW#9 for towing, & dayly driving. I think I have all the supporting mods for it now. What do you guys think?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running the aftermarket injectors / stock torque management program and like it a lot. The reason I changed was due to smoke.

It is true that the aftermarket injectors program reduces timing somewhat, but if you run the odd numbered programs you will see some advanced timing compared to stock. I don't know how much advanced timing but its more than stock but less than the stock injectors program. That way you will still see mileage and power improvements from advanced timing just not as much as the stock injectors program. You will also lose some of the EGT reduction that advanced timing affords.

Stock torque management is also a little misleading. Stock TM on the Smarty is nothing like the torque management that your truck has from the factory. It fuels harder at low rpm than factory but its not as much as the mild TM that the Smarty shipped with.

I can still lay a good black cloud if I want to but now the smoke is much more controllable. Before with mild TM the smoke was a little much for me. I was rolling smoke out way too easily and my truck was just not fun to drive anymore. Any time I touched the pedal it smoked and if I really got on it I would black out an intersection.

With the stock TM setting it will only lay out a cloud if I mash the pedal with little or no boost. If you roll into it any other way there is very little to no smoke.

You may want to try out stock TM or aftermarket injectors and if either one of those doesn't suit you go for both.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll have to experiment with all the software. After looking at the different versions, I have a question. My truck is an '04.5. There are two versions for each program according to year. Both list my year. Which one should I try? Are they different?
Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 PM

You can use either, no difference...they just couldnt fit all the programs for all years in one software on the smarty memory....

The latest smarty software 4.11 is really low smoke...shouldt be an issue if you run the odd numbers....at least try, as the aftermarket injector programs have less power and higher egt's unless you actually have aftermarket injectors....
Old 02-17-2008, 11:43 PM

So, if I got this right. I should run the aftermarket turbo/stock injecters/stock TQM program for the least smoke, given my mods?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
So, if I got this right. I should run the aftermarket turbo/stock injecters/stock TQM program for the least smoke, given my mods?
I'd start with aftermarket turbo / stock injectors / mild tqm....i dont think you'll have any issues....then work your way down to either aftermarket injectors and/ or stock tqm...but man, aftermarket injectors (less timing) and stock tq mgmt isn't why i bought a smarty...thats for sure!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:31 PM

I want the performance too. I just don't want to be rolling smoke every time I adjust the throttle on the highway like it does now.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

im running stock injectors/aftermarkey turbo software and it just hazes now compared to actually blowing nice clouds of thick smoke. plus the software acts as a boost fooler.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bigwheels94
I want the performance too. I just don't want to be rolling smoke every time I adjust the throttle on the highway like it does now.
Assume this is around the 55mph mark? (I have 285s and 3.73 as well) That's the issue...the new versions drastically reduced the smoke (esp on takeoff), but a built trans at 55mph and light throttle totally lugs the motor w/o boost hence a lots of smoke....now it's making sense....was confused there.....really only a couple of options....drive faster 60+ ..can you push it to 60mph or above where you're driving? or drive a touch slower w/ od off (keeps the revs /boost higher, but it's not gonna help mileage)...you should've seen the old versions in the above conditions...would block 5 lanes
Old 02-18-2008, 11:17 PM

Where I live there are a lot of 50 mph zones, & I'm allready pushing it to 55. I was also having the same problem on the freeway @ 75. Touch the throttle, & smoke would start to roll. It's better when I run in 3rd, but I'm turning 2200rpm to do 55 mph. I realy hope the Sr. with aftermarket turbo will do it for me. I also don't want to cover the back of my fiberglass camper with black when I'm on the freeway. I'm sure it ill work fine when I'm pulling the passes. With the stock turbo, & just the XZT I would be @ 2000 rpm with 23# boost, & 1250-1300* EGT's pulling the hills. Sometimes even more when I hit a head wind. I can allways drop into 3rd, & keep 75 mph.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM

there is a low smoke beta program...see if you can score it from bob.