3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Low Rail PSI and codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Rail PSI and codes

I changed my springs and studs about 3 weeks ago after a week of trouble shooting I had the valve lash slighty off and a wire not were it should have been, but since I got it runnning its been running smooth, but seems like its got a small "tick/Knock" too it, but I took it to Blacks Diesel and he said it sound like normal injector knock, I have 90 hp injectors. (and the fact Ive been driving a gasser for 3 weeks I just think maybe Im not use to the diesel sound).

So one to the code last weekend I was in Alabama hunting and get a code P0148 High Pressure Common Rail, but at the time I was running 70mph and 16.5k PSI, but ZERO change in power or anything, so I clear it. After about 500 miles no code or nothing.

Again yesterday while in Alabama, I get the code again not thinking to much of it b/c its running fine I pull over a clear it. Start it back up 3 miles later It throws it again, but this time it wont build Rail Pressure 12-13k tops and loss in power so I keep driving and about 5 miles later the low RP is now up to about 18.5-19k at 70mph which is about 2-3k higher at that MPH. Again I pull over clear it, drive and same thing happens, but just low RP, never climbed up (but didnt give it a chance, and Im 2hrs from home, so I cleared it). Again after 5 ins code throws, but doesnt do anything noticable truck drove fine and RP was were it should be.

Couple other things today it would idle at 1k PSI compared to 6-7 hundred and wouldnt hold any RP again and when id push in the clutch the RP would hang it would drop RP by about 1k per second instead of dropping to 6-7 hundred PSI this was before the CEL light came on.

And my MPG has dropped 2 mpg, but I did cruise around my land through the mud in 4x4 for a while which doesnt help, but I know is an indencation of a leaky injector. But Ive check for fuel in the oil, didnt see anything on the dipstick or smell any diesel, smelt a little like burnt diesel, which I assume is normal (I hope), but Im changing the oil saturday, so Ill know then.

Well now im confused, I was thinking it was something in the install, but now Im thinking it might be electrical. Any ideas????
Old 12-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think its electrical.What are you using to monitor RP?I don'yt think these trucks will even run at 1k RP.If the truck is running fine I would be looking at an electrical connection.MY truck had a problem once and would only hold 3-4K of RP and you sure knew it.It was stumbling and missing and would die.
Off topic but where in Al. are you hunting?I was just down there hunting over thanksgiving in Pittsview area between Phenix city and Eufala
Old 12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
DTR Advertiser

To check for fuel in your oil, take a white paper towel and put a drop of oil on it. If there is a clear ring around the dark oil, that is fuel in the oil (uaually)
Old 12-04-2008, 04:52 PM

Pat....You gotta trick for antifreeze?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by -PowerWagon-
Pat....You gotta trick for antifreeze?
In the oil? or fuel in the antifreeze?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
To check for fuel in your oil, take a white paper towel and put a drop of oil on it. If there is a clear ring around the dark oil, that is fuel in the oil (uaually)
Thanks for the tip.

Anymore suggestions on what this could be, from anyone?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
I would think its electrical.What are you using to monitor RP?I don'yt think these trucks will even run at 1k RP.If the truck is running fine I would be looking at an electrical connection.MY truck had a problem once and would only hold 3-4K of RP and you sure knew it.It was stumbling and missing and would die.
Off topic but where in Al. are you hunting?I was just down there hunting over thanksgiving in Pittsview area between Phenix city and Eufala
Im saying it was idling at 1k, what did was your problem why it was running rough?

I was hunting in Fruithurst which is right on the Ga border, off of I20.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 AM

Its idling at 1k RPM or Rail Pressure? Your post makes a couple references to rail pressure in the hundreds as well, which cannot be.

The injectors won't fire at 1k psi (needs to be 5k psi)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM

I was thinking Rp also, not rpm.If you are referring to rpm hanging it could be several things like the RP sensor or fca.Not being able to build Rp could be caused by the same parts and also maybe the relief valve.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
Its idling at 1k RPM or Rail Pressure? Your post makes a couple references to rail pressure in the hundreds as well, which cannot be.

The injectors won't fire at 1k psi (needs to be 5k psi)
Rail PSI and I forgot the zero I meant 10k and thousand not hundred sorry wasnt thinking when I typed that