3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Loud Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Loud Exhaust

Dont get me wrong, I love my loud exhaust, except for that it is getting hotter here in AZ and I have to drive with my windows up, so with my custom exhaust the cab of my truck is a lot louder, anyone have an idea of how to quite it down inside without loseing the loudness inside?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:37 PM

you want to know how to quiet it inside without losing how loud it is inside?

Some people have put turndown tips on their exhaust and made it quieter
Old 05-17-2005, 06:38 PM

quiet inside

Line the floor,doors, back wall and firewall with dynamat or something similar.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 PM

if you are running straight pipe, some people have had good luck with mounting an aeroturbine as far foward as possible and it helped quiet the inside of the cab and still have a great sound...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:17 AM

Hi, Mr. Dodgeman.

Don't know if I completely understand what your problem is but, it may be the "dreaded drone" that a lot of us get at around 2100 rpm's, with aftermarket exhaust systems.

If, in fact, that is what you are experienceing, I have read about a guy in Colorado that installed an additional 11" Magnaflow muffler in the exhaust system and he claimed that it eliminated the drone.

If that's something you want to try, you can buy one from Muffler Dealers Warehouse, 1225 N. Acacia Dr., Gilbert, AZ. 85233, 480-633-8918.

This muffler has 4" inlet/outlet.

I put their 14" Magnaflow on my truck and I do have the drone, especially when towing, uphill, in a canyon (walls on either side of highway). That's the only time it's somewhat obnoxious, to me. If it was like that all, or most of the time, I would do something about it. I, also, like driving with the windows down so that I can hear the exhaust note. I, also, installed a 5" Chrome Turndown.

Hope this helps.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: quiet inside

Originally posted by DR3500
Line the floor,doors, back wall and firewall with dynamat or something similar.
Yup. Plan a whole weekend. I spent 18 hours just doing the rear floor, wall, and all four doors. I still have to do the floor under the front seats and headliner, but it does make a nice difference.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:23 PM

ok, maybe I'll try that sometime, how much do you think the dynamat would cost?...sorry if my ques? was confusing, I wanted the same loudness outside, but quiter inside....its not to bad when your runnin around town but after a while, like on a long trip it starts to get a little anyoning, hey buffalo how much would the muffler run me??
Old 05-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynamat xtreme is pricey in the store. I've seen a 36 sq foot bulk pack for sale for $250 in stereo shops. It's $89 on ebay. I advise not to get the cheap imitation stuff to save a few bucks, I and many others have had problems. Some are fine but IMO use the good stuff it's not much more money. It will quiet down the inside (not night and day but a good bit), which really helps with highway road and wind noise, and if you double or triple layer the back wall/floor you will really cut down on some of the exhaust noise inside. Your stereo will sound a lot better as a side benefit, and your doors have that solid thunk when you shut them, like they SHOULD have from the factory. It's really time consuming because you have to cut it to fit and use these roller tools pressing down with a lot of force to make sure the material really sticks/conforms to the surface. Prepare for a sore right thumb from pushing down on the roller tool

PS you'll need at least 72sq feet, but 3 bulk packs will really cover you well. The headliner lets in a lot of noise too.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:57 PM

Thanx for the advice, I'll look into that stuff