3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

LOST TO a POWERstroke

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOST TO a POWERstroke

Ok guys bad news and I am hurt. hehe!!! Raced a 01 Excusion 7.3L PSD. Don't know what he has, but I saw multiple gauges on the pillar and a big 5" exhaust system. That thing was LOUD.......whined and boost so fast.

here is the story: mine is a 6spd, but doesn't have to do anything with launching or me shifting too slow.. so don't tell me I screwed on shifting..hehe.. I start off in 2nd and Rpm is up to about 1.7K and I hear his engine whine up so basically we both floored it almost at the same time.. end of 2nd I see him pull slightly. going into 3rd he pulls pretty hard and then in 4th he still pulls.. we stop at 50mph and he is about 1.5cars ahead of me.... I may want a TST now. shot....LOL!!!

mine is a DRW 3500 6spd QC.. absolutely STOCK...

You think I can take this Excursion if I had my Muffler off??? I heard a good 25-30hp if these are elminated... TST it and then I know I should win...

I need to do something about this.. all the PSD always look at me.. all the time when I am driving my truck...
Old 02-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Glad to hear you are stock. I'd feel pretty bad if you lost with a box I doubt an exhaust mod alone will do the trick. Generally, you will not see those hp/tq claims (exhaust) on a stock motor. I got beat bad by a duramax. Installed a pressure/timing box and have not lost yet.

There are some 7.3 furds in my neighborhood with turbos that scream. I don't know how they do it. Mine is pretty loud, but nowhere near the sound of theirs. Then there's the 6.0, which is an entirely different story.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
No matter how fast you are,....................

There's always someone who could be a liiiiitle bit faster.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:24 PM

With you being stock and we know he wasn't... I wouldn't feel bad. Also, I don't have before and after dynos, but I highly doubt you'll get that much gain with just that. As is often with things like that, it's a combination of a bunch of other things that you'll see those kind of gains.

Want something quick and easy but still effective? Get the Edge EZ. I have it in mine and I like it. My roommate has an F550 with 7.3 and turbo, injectors (I think at least) intake, exhuast and at least a 100 chip and when I was runnin stock, he only put about 30HP more down. He says he'll take me but I've been in his truck... and it won't.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM

Welcome BLKHO600 to the world of whinning turbos and empty pockets... and to this board also. Good Luck on your quest to be the badest diesel on the road, seams most hot rodders, old and young, are finding out they can have their fuel mileage and performance in one package... DIESEL, who would have thunk it 20 years ago.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:23 AM

BLKHO600
I do not think the air mods will buy you much hp, but they will help with the egt. I did it with the AirAid MIT and the Nelson straight thru 51" muffler. I really like driving my truck with the Bully Dog PUP on the Extreme level, but I have to be careful not to slip the clutch.

That Powerstroke you raced was not stock, so don't feel bad. A PUP on your truck will blow your mind, and now there is a rumor of a 230 hp program coming soon.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Banned

50mph in 4th? you got 4.10's?

that excursion was an automatic... that right there puts you at a serious disadvantage in a drag race... then you put some fueling mods on it, and you've got a Cummins killer (stock Cummins anyhow )

1.5 cars at 50 ain't bad... he'd probably do me the same way... but I'd come around him pretty quick after that

Forrest

Trending Topics

Old 02-05-2005, 03:57 PM

i am glad you lost. You have no business racing a stock truck againt another truck thats modified. All's that does is give the powerjokes another reason to laugh at Cummins. Save the races for those of us with fast trucks.
Go get a set of twins, a tst, edms and the supporting mods then go pick fights.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:10 PM

I think Forrest is right, if your rig had an auto, the race would have been close. If you had a good chip, you probably would have won.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:19 PM

Don't fret. I understand those Powerstrokegs are pretty quick when they actually run. He's probably at the dealership now getting it Flashed Or Repaired Daily while braggin about the Cummins stick he outran by a tiny bit with his oversized gawdy looking Explosion.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HO Cummins
i am glad you lost. You have no business racing a stock truck againt another truck thats modified. All's that does is give the powerjokes another reason to laugh at Cummins. Save the races for those of us with fast trucks.
Go get a set of twins, a tst, edms and the supporting mods then go pick fights.
calm down man... this isn't a battle or anything... the fate of the free world doesn't rest on wether or not you outrun a powerstroke... he was just having some fun!

I run stock trucks and I run modified trucks, and everyone I run gets a thumbs up...

anyone with an excursion with 5" exhaust, a screamin' turbo, and a bunch of gauges is going to know the difference between a stock CTD and a modified one...

all I've got are some injectors and a stock HX40... am I allowed to pick fights?

Forrest
Old 02-08-2005, 11:05 AM

That's what you get for buying the stick if you want to drag race the auto is the way to go.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
Flashed Or Repaired Daily
That is a great one !
Greg
Old 02-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Put a ~30" Magnaflow muffler, an AFE Intake, a get yourself a Power pup, then wait for round two.

If you don't launch in 4wd you will still probably lose untill ~30mph 'cause you are going to be lighting your tires up untill then.

Merrick
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM

These trucks - including mine are slugs untill 4th to 6th thats where they pull hard.
2nd in a race is a waste of diesel - with a six speed you need to avoid racing from a stop. Watch out for the 6 liter powerstroke - if there chipped and running good you will not win. That tranny on the ford is amazing in tow haul. Put the tst on - stocks a joke.

Quick Reply: LOST TO a POWERstroke