3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lost my gear indicator lights & cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lost my gear indicator lights & cruise control

I spent the evening searching the board and didn’t find the exact problem I’m having, so I thought I’d post this.

I had a remote start installed yesterday. (Mobile installer did it here at work in the parking lot) It seems to work fine BUT on my drive home I notice some other problems.

Now my “Transmission Range Indicator” is only lighting when in park and neutral. Nothing lighting up when I run the gear selector through R, D, 1 or 2.

Also when I come to a traffic light, I let off of the accelerator pedal and hear the PacBrake engage, watch the tach drop, but no slowing of the truck like before. It was like the torque converter was freewheeling and not locked up (hope I’m describing that right)

When I got home and parked, I opened the driver’s door with the engine still running and the (factory?) alarm went off honking my horn, flashing my lights, etc. This has NEVER happened to me before. Sure, I’ve had the horn beep opening the door in reverse, but never this. While the dash lights were flashing I noticed all the indicators around the PRND21 were flashing, too, so at least I know they work for whatever that’s worth.

I called the installer and he’s coming back today. Driving in to work this morning I notice also that the cruise control won’t work. The indicator light comes on, but I can’t get it to engage or hold.

The remote starter is an Astra 4000RS series with an Omega Chrysler Immobilizer Bypass (so we didn’t have to bury an extra key). The installer does nothing but car alarms, remote starts & TV systems in cars, mostly for car dealers and has been doing this for 15 plus years. He did my buddy's 2007 Hemi Ram and he's having no problems.

Any ideas? What could cause this? I’m wondering if I have the remote starter removed, and the truck is still doing this, could this be something that the dealer has to reset?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:50 AM

I'm going to check the fuses in the Integrated Power Module in hopes that this is something simple. After that, we're thinking about resetting the computer. If that doesn't do it, maybe disconnect the remote start and if we still haven't got the shift indicator lights back, then I guess it's off to the dealer. Any other ideas? Any input would be appreciated!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM

I've heard of problems happening like this on Dodge trucks. It's not something specific each time but elec. gremlins pop up from time to time. I've heard of cruise control quitting, temp display going wacky etc...The fix that I've been doing is isolating the mux wire with a relay. Seems to have taken care of the problem.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 PM

wow!I have the exact same problem P and N get the halo but the others don't. Anyone have any other ideas??
Old 12-02-2007, 11:53 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by dfseidel
wow!I have the exact same problem P and N get the halo but the others don't. Anyone have any other ideas??
This could be because of your smarty, take it off and check it out. They should have a fix for this soon.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM

I had the remote starter removed and everything is back to normal.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have similar trouble with mine.. for me it is the BD triple dog.. I turned of torque manager and the lights disappeared. Come to find out.. in the dodge it just happens. Nothing to worry about.. just one of those things.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Does anyone think that the latest smarty update nov 9 could cause the gear indicator lights to phase out? Because that's when i lost mine, except park and neutral.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to thank DTR member TCR for testing Marco's fix. It is confirmed and Marco will publish a new release for the 2003 guys.

Thanks Tom for the confirmation