3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lorenzo's 2.25 system on sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I concur with that- sorry for the hi-jack...
Old 04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Banned

i think if you have an opinion (good or bad) you should state why. otherwise you have no credibility
Alot of the "whys" don't get posted, because we've posted so many times that they can easily be found with a search function. Just for the sake of this thread, I'll briefly summarize...

As for me, I initially went with the Lorenz 2.25 and dual purpose leafs. Drastic ride improvement, and I was very satisfied. Over the coarse of a year, I found out the kit was not quite what I needed for my truck.

The Lorenz rear leaves will not let you run 37" tires without rubbing. I spent $700 on traction bars to preload the rear axle enough to get by. The Lorenz rear leaves are not designed for ANY weight over the bare bones weight of a stock truck. I carry 3 toolboxes, totalling about 500 pounds or so in the bed all the time. Sometimes I haul stuff in the bed and tow a trailer. The back end sagged so badly that I shelled out another $800 for Carli LT airbags to help correct this. Over the coarse of the year, the rear springs continued to sag. In short, they ride great, and probably would work wonderfully if you drive an unladen stock truck.

I was under the impression with the 2.25" SAWs, that you could not push them to their potential without a full cage in the truck...at least that's what I was told. So, I took it for truth, and hit some railroad track humps at speed, and tried a few off road trails. On the trails off road, the ride was much improved over stock, but it was pretty easy to bottom the front suspension at 15 - 20 mph. Due to small shock size and not-so-aggressive valving, I bent the front axle housing slightly.

The 2.25s started leaking oil, one of them very badly. I sent back to SAW for a complete rebuild, and sold the entire kit.

I now have the Carli 2.65 kit, and it's a world of difference. I can hit the same off road stuff at 40 - 50 mph and never bottom the suspension. I can run 37" tires in the rear without any hitting anywhere. The rear deaver Carli springs are carrying the weight much better, and still offer a great ride.

I think it comes down to how you're going to use the truck. For most people wanting a better street ride, who also like to travel a gravel road or fire road every now and then, the Lorenz 2.25 w/ dual purpose leaves and IR coils would be awesome! And Sean is always helpful, and easy to deal with. However, this is NOT an off road baja type suspension by any means. If you haul weight, tow trailers, hit railroad crossings aggressively, or push things offroad a little, you do not want the Lorenz 2.25. I learned the hard way, and ended up losing about $2,000 and a bunch of labor...and that's not fun.

So, yeah, people do have strong opinions. The Lorenz suspension stuff is great, if you know what it's capabilities are, and you don't cross them. But, it is not quite in the same category as the Carli, Thuren, and even Kore stuff IMO.

I'd say more, but this thread would get deleted here, so I'll refrain.

--Eric
Old 04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by enafzige
So, yeah, people do have strong opinions. The Lorenz suspension stuff is great, if you know what it's capabilities are, and you don't cross them. But, it is not quite in the same category as the Carli, Thuren, and even Kore stuff IMO.

I'd say more, but this thread would get deleted here, so I'll refrain.

--Eric
And thats where the "Value" comes into play. If your gonna shell out the dough, your gonna want something that will live up to the hype.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Finally some honesty. Real opinions help folks make great decisions. BTW when I searched all I found was bashing not real answers.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Finally some honesty. Real opinions help folks make great decisions. BTW when I searched all I found was bashing not real answers.
Not a problem. I'm always here to help, and will speak the truth as I know it...at least as much as the forum I'm on will allow. That's part of the problem too...I post so much on other sites as well that it's hard to keep track where I've said what!

Any questions feel free to ask... It would've saved me a ton of money and time if people would've been blatantly honest when I was researching different kits instead of trying to justify the money they spent

--Eric