3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Looking for Wheel Experts, Help My Truck Look Cool!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Wheel Experts, Help My Truck Look Cool!

I am thinking about getting new wheels for my Ram 2500 Megacab. It has no lift kit.

Without a lift kit, what size can I put on without rubbing? Or if I do a 2" level kit, then what size?

Also, I've noticed some guys wheels seem to have a wider stance...is that just a wider tire width or is there some sort of extension. I like that look!

So I'd like to put on bigger tires (taller and wider) but not too crazy. Since it is my company truck I don't want people thinking I am making too much money. Also, a big lift kit is out of the questions since it would make getting my gear off the back much more difficult. Finally, I want to avoid making my steering suck.

Oh yeah! Does anyone know of a good wheel website were I can interactively view my truck with different wheels and sizes?
Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 AM

Need more information about your truck. Is it a 4x4, 2x4? If 4x4 then some have needed the 2 inch spacers to keep the 35" tires from rubbing, some have not. For sure with 33s you would be fit. Need Color of your truck, or picture of it would help people to "visualize" what it would look like, or at least post pics of their trucks with the wheels you like. Do you want chrome or are you going for the blacked-out look? The wider stance can be attirbuted to both a wider tires and offset of the rims. If you stick your rims out, be prepared to rock chip the sides of your truck uinless you do some preventative measures (mudflaps and fender flares). And finally, what type of tire you want also makes a difference. Street, offroad M/T, or an A/T tire.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:23 AM

Being as your in Edmonton, I would hope it's a 4x4 As far as what size of tires, it depends if your running mud flaps mostly, but IMO 35" tires on stock suspension look way to stuffed. I remember 1 tire site that you could put wheels on your truck, but it was just a regular cab ST truck no color choice at all so it doesn't help. A leveling kit doesn't gain you much tire clearance because it pulls your axle closer to your cab, were you tires would usually rub first. If you want just a bit of aggressive stance, 33x12.50 tires would look great and clear fine with stock suspension. Handling would change a bit with a 2" leveling kit, not to mention your axle would be off center a bit. I had a 3" on my truck and did nothing to the track bar or steering and the steering got terrible, a 2" wouldn't be as bad but it was REALLY annoying on the highway.

My opinion would be 33x12.50 on stock suspension and spend money on a good steering stabilizer.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:18 AM

It's a 4x4 white megacab (yes, I'm in Edmonton!).

I'm going to get flares and mudflaps so I'm not too concerned about the rock chips or recommendations on the look of the rims...I can figure that out.

What I am concerned about is lifting my truck and on puting big tires that make me look like i charge customers too much and I don't take my work seriously. I want bigger to balance the look of the truck.

The weather here is harsh in winter so I'd be puting on some agressive snow tires, maybe wider ones than stock to smooth out the ride on the road ice bumps. I'm thinking of keeping my stock rims and tires for summer use, since my work is seasonal, and then going to my bigger rims/tires for winter (I know, opposite to what most people do). I don't go off road too much, sometimes some fields and what not, but nothing too crazy.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Thumbs up

It all depends on what YOU like.

I like the look of my stock polished alum. wheels....most everyone else doesn`t. Black wheels are hot now , but too common for me.

I`d say a set of 35s would look perfect on your Mega Cab , with the leveling kit , and some 8-9 in wide 17-18in diameter wheels...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 PM

I was thinking 35's too - they seem to be a good all-round size.

But this is what I really want to know: will the 35" tires rub if I get a 2" leveling kit; and will the 35's make my drivability worse (and if yes, how do you correct it)?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 PM

On your stock wheels, 35's will rub your control arms if you turn the steering wheel all the way to one side or the other...

If you get new rims...try to find something with 5-5.5"s of backspacing...my Helo's got 4.25"s of B.S., and stick out a lot, but look good with the fender flares...

I never ran 'em without the leveling kit, so I can't help you with that.

Steering will feel different at first, but you'll get used to it.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are two pics of Hohn2 truck, mildly perfect
Also a thread with details
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ighlight=debut

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]