3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

looking at getting a mega, input please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking at getting a mega, input please

hey guys, this is my first post. As stated Im looking at buying an 06 2500 mega with the 5.9, links will be at the bottom.

anything I should be looking for when I go look at these trucks, they both look stock in the pics and have low mileage for them one at 50k the other 75k.

If purchased it would be used as a daily driver, I only tow a few sportbikes to the track a few times a year on a 16' flat bed, that I pull with a 06 silverado gas right now.

not looking into too many mods, maybe exhaust and bullydog (or similar). Acutally I really dont mind leaving it stock though.

Any advice or input especially on the mechanical side of things, possible problems or even things to come would be great.

Also I live in central KY, so it the weather is never one extreme to the other.

Thanks in Advance, Jason.
links
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...r_id=290102845

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...aptcha=success
Old 01-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Right now I don't have time to go into a detailed reply, but I'll bet money that the ball joints are bad, and it has a/c issues, or will have in the future. Just my experience with mine. Lots of other things to check, but you'll love the Megacab! You'll find out just about everything you need to know from this site, just try out the search feature. I'm sure others will provide more imput.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 06 Mega with 54K on it and now have 110K. The only isue I have had is the ball joints. ford dodge and GM all have junk ball joints now. They dont last long. Others have had isues with some blend dore in the AC system break but mine is still good. Some say the 06s are more prone to having electical greimlins as well but mine has been good with one exception. My 4wd kicked in on dry pavement at low speed and luckily enough it happend rite at teh dealers lot when i was out for a ride so I left it there and took a loaner home. They figured out that it was a AC sensor sendng out a bad signal and the ECM thought it was the 4wd swich so it kicked it into 4wd.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:21 PM

All I can say is that I LOVE my MegaCab, would have trouble having anythng else, GREAT ride, NO problems with mine except the HVAC blend door, and that was fixed under warranty, as were most.

I have had NO electrical gremlins, no ball joint problems, no problems whatsoever.

I would ask them for their maintenance records, if they don't have them, question the maintneance thoroughly. You can tell how well they have cared for them just by looking around, if the dash is scrateched up, same for entry areas, same for bed/bedliner. If there is an in-bed hitch, ask about what they towed, and what percentage of mileage is towing, ordinaryoverall appearance will go a long way to telling you how they took care of the truck.

Happy truck hunting.

CD
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I absolutely love my 06 2500 Mega! I have 82k miles on it and the only problem I have had was a leaky rear axle seal replaced under warranty at about 35k miles. Like CD said, maint. is going to be everything. The more info you have on this the better you are.

The room in the back is what I really wanted and would never go to a Quad cab just because of this! Fold the seats down flat and it is almost like having two trucks
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

you will appreciate the MEGA when you have passengers in the back on a decent trip. Great Vehicle.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by browndg
you will appreciate the MEGA when you have passengers in the back on a decent trip. Great Vehicle.
When ever I have people in the back seat for the first time they can't believe the room........ Then I tell them to recline the seats for even more comfort and they usually just laugh and are a bit speechless!! I love it They never want to get out.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
When ever I have people in the back seat for the first time they can't believe the room........ Then I tell them to recline the seats for even more comfort and they usually just laugh and are a bit speechless!! I love it They never want to get out.
Roger that.
the truck really come in handed when we are returning from a long dirt bike trip pulling the toy hauler, my buddies are reclined back watching Nitro circus.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by browndg
Roger that.
the truck really come in handed when we are returning from a long dirt bike trip pulling the toy hauler, my buddies are reclined back watching Nitro circus.
Yup +1

I'm in Tennessee where the roads are pretty smooth. But when i test drove trucks in Louisville one weekend I decided the Mega cab ride was much less choppy than the quad cab shortbed on the concrete freeways. This is the first truck I've had with a short bed and there have been times I wanted the long bed. I think about a stretch long bed conversion....

But yeah, the rear is so so versatile the way the seats fold over, fold flat, recline, lots of space behind the seats, doors open a full 90degrees, outstanding ventilation and non buffeting air flow with all 5 windows down.

If you want interior space there is no other.

Problems I have had are a jumpy tach that got fixed mail order and the seats in the front were ripped when I bought it with 50k on it. Had them professionally repaired with new Dodge parts and some custom sewing too.

at 77k ball joints still good, heater doors still ok but they do make some noises shiftin position.

A/c could be better. In the laramie there is rear air that cannot really be turned off and it steals a little from the front. Just takes a while to cool the big cab down.

Very very happy with my truck. It is a really nice ride on the highway for trips empty or towing.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM

love mine couldnt ask for anything else.....mad props to the INVENTOR OF THE MEGACAB!!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My 06 Mega has 110,000 and has only needed a steering stabilizer, 2 rear u-joints (my bad) and a front u-joint.

Air is cold, heater doors are fine, room is awesome, mileage is low 20's, power is outstanding with a Smarty jr.

I think the reason not much fails on mine is the Smarty...
Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM

My kids wish I still had my Megacab. Sometimes I do too.....
Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Banned

I know this isn't totally relative, but I have 150,000 miles on my 04 and still on the orig ball joints. The only thing I have HAD to change right away was the water pump. I installed the Dynatrac locking hub kit since my front axle u-joints were going bad.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Only problems with my man rig was the blend door that most of us know about and a bad drivers side u-joint.

I do miss having a long bed, but it is easier to add a longer bed than to stretch the cab. Wouldn't trade the cab room for anything, though.

Owned for ~ 4 years now and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:49 AM

Can;t go wrong with the megacab! I absolutely love mine, when we travel in it people refer to it as the Ram Lodge. Gotta love the reclining back seats. Only issues I have had so far with 138,000 miles on mine has been with the rear u-joint and pinion seal at like 54k I think. I had the blend door problem which was at 66k, other than that its been perfect. I can't imagine ever going to a quad cab, or selling this bad boy. Front u-joints will be done sometime in March probably due to the lift and 37s killing them.