3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Long crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man Justcampin you have described my truck to the tee! I'll have a new relief valve on order in the morning. I'll keep ya posted.
Thanks again for all the replies!
Topper
Old 11-14-2007, 08:19 PM

I hope that fixes it, they would not have found mine execpt it quite on them after 3 days, mine would start great in the mornings or after it sat all day at work but a quick trip to the store or something it might start and it might not.
Mine was still under cummmins warrantry
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM

This is killing me.

I have been watching this thread for two days just waiting.....and nothing so I guess I'll have to be the first....

First I must appologize as I cant help with any advise but,....

If you do pinpoint the cuase of your long crank let me know as Christmas is coming and I'm sure my wife would be thrilled with a new toy of her own.

Seriously though, good luck
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM

I hate to see you throw that kind of money at that silly relief valve, theres other alternatives you know. Never the less i hope it gets ya fixed up!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Chapter President

Waiting on pins and needles myself here. This describes mine more often than not also. More than others who've had injector/CP3 problems.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:40 PM

Hey guys,
Well I think I got the truck figured out... I started out by pulling the bango bolt out of the pressure relief valve and yup she was shot so I plugged the bolt and tried to start the truck. No luck... I gave her a wiff of ether and she fired right up. I let it run for about 5 mins to check for leaks then shut her down. I started it right back up and things were good. I tried to start it after I let it sit for about 30 mins and all it would do is crank. I tried to start it a couple of times but no luck... I was talking to a mechanic that works at our concrete plant an he was asking all about the problem I was having with my truck. Well when I got done explaining everything to him he said let me make a quick call. He called a friend at Cummins north east. He came back and said give me a 15 mm wrench. He then went to work on my cp3 pump. I asked him what he was doing he said do ya want the truck to start or what.
He then pulled the Cascade Overflow Valve out and started cleaning it up. Then he did some checking on the movement of the plunger. He said the plunger was a little dirty. Then he re-installed the COV and he said start the truck. So I went over and hit the key it cranked about 2 times and started right up. I couldn't believe it. Then he said are ya gonna get this junk out of the shop or what... Well I asked him how he knew that the valve was stuck. He said that Tim told him it happens all the time...
So there ya go guys. I know that my pressure relief valve is bad but plugging it didn't get the truck to start. The Cascade Overflow Valve was dirty and after cleaning it the truck started right up.
I'll let ya know if it still runs and starts tommorrow...
Thanks for all the replies!
Topper
Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 PM

had this problem myself, wouldn't start and when it did it took long cranks, its in the dealer now took 2 injectors out.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 PM

My dealer wanted to change all my injectors.
Good luck,
Topper
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 AM

any updates???
Old 11-17-2007, 05:01 PM

Hey guys,
Well I ran around with the truck today and no problems! She fired up every time. It still cranks a bit longer then my wifes 05 but not bad. It's alot better then it was.
When I plugged the bango bolt I didn't weld it I just turned a brass slug that fit inside of the bolt nice and tight. Well at over 20,000 psi it may still be leaking a little. Tommorrow I'll weld the holes closed and see if that helps it to start a little quicker.
I would suggest if your experiencing a long crank or no starting check your relief valve and clean your Cascade Overflow Valve.
I'll post an update after I weld up the banjo bolt. I'll try to get some pics up also.
See ya,
Topper
Old 11-17-2007, 05:41 PM

what does the Cascade Overflow Valve look like, any pics?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:58 PM

The COF is located on the top of the cp3. There are 2 banjo bolts on the cp3 and to the right of the front banjo there is a nut that looks like it has a ball welded into the center of it. That's the COF.
This is how to test it.
1. Clean around the high-pressure pump and surrounding area with quick dry contact cleaner. Blow-dry with compressed air.
2. Remove the cascade overflow valve.
3. Visually inspect the valve for damage,broken, and or corrosion. Using a small object, verify the movement of the valve plunger. Be sure the plunger returns fully in the static state. If the plunger spring is broken, replace the valve.
4. Lubricate the new O-ring and threads with clean diesel fuel.
5. Install the cascade overflow valve and hand tighten.
6. Torque to N.m +/- (4.5 ft lbs.=/-0.5ft lbs.)
7. Check the cascade overflow valve for leaks or damage. Run engine and check for leaks.
Make sure that before it goes bake in it is absoultey clean! If there is a speck of dirt in it - the plunger wont fully return to the static state and the truck wont start.

I hope this info helps,
I have a new computer that runs windows Vista and my current scanner won't work with it or else I would scan the page and post it. If someone wants to send me there fax # I will fax them the page. Maybe someone else will post the page. I really think this can help alot of people. I know my dealer was very happy to get the info.
Good luck,
Topper
Old 11-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Nevermind I should have read more
Old 11-18-2007, 01:08 PM

Thanks Topper,
I pulled mine this morning, checked it sprayed a little wd-40 and blowed it a off about three of times, put it back in and my truck starts better now than it has an a long time! Took about 15 minutes, mine had a exhaust brake vacuum pump in the way but still no problem.
Thanks again, I will keep posting if I have more problems
Old 11-18-2007, 04:51 PM

Glad it helped!

Quick Reply: Long crank