3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Long crank

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long crank

Hey guys,
Well my long crank hasn't fixed itself... My dealer hasn't fixed it either...
Today the thing wouldn't start at all. It starts in the morning no trouble. It was 20 deg f this morning and she started right up. Later in the day I went down to town to grab some lunch and after about 30 mins I went to start it and all she would do is crank. I actually had to hit it with some starting fluid. With just a small snort she fired right up. I have a Commander and I'm seeing 21,500 -22,500 psi injection pressure and only 10 psi fuel pressure. The one thing that worries me is I can pull the fuel pressure down to 1psi if I really whale on her. I called my buddy and ordered a new FASS lift pump. The thing is I have 8 -10 psi while the truck is cranking but it still doesn't fire. So does anyone really know whats up with these old 03's???
If anyone has any Ideas I would sure like to hear them.
Thanks guys!
Topper
Old 11-11-2007, 04:41 AM

Any ideas?
Topper
Old 11-11-2007, 08:23 PM

I was starting to have the same problem. I found that giving it a little throttle when cranking helped a little.

Then I bought a Smarty, installed level 5 and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM
trx

Had my truck at the dealer reflashed twice didn't fix the problem then i too installed the smarty and problem gone
Old 11-12-2007, 04:41 AM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies! Let me get this clear, did you guys have a no start condition or long crank? My truck had a long crank, but now it won't start sometimes unless I give her a shot of starting fluid. If the fix was as simple as adding a Smarty I will be all over that. I have been doing alot of searching but all I see is try this or try that. All of which is expensive! I was wondering if anyone really has a solution. If a Smarty will fix it I'll get a Smarty. I was just about to pull the trigger on some new stix hoping that would fix it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks guys,
Topper
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
trx

I had a long crank since new.Not sure if the smarty would fix your problem or not it just seemed to work on mine and is soooo much better now i hated the fact that i had a brand new truck that was hard to start. Even on the stock setting my starting problems were gone. If you knew of anyone that could lend you a smarty you could load it then turn it back to stock and see if that fixes your problem. Have also heard that bad injectors could cause a hard start as well
Old 11-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Thanks for the reply!
I don't think the Smarty is going to fix my problem but I did order one for my truck anyway.( It was on the list of mods that I was planing any way) I was hoping that some of the guys that have gone through this with their 03's would have jumped in with what really fixed their trucks. I would think there's got to be a common problem with these trucks.
So how about it 03 guys does anyone know what the heck is wrong with my truck??? I know that the 2 Dodge garages that have had the truck in for repair haven't been able to figure the thing out. They did know how to figure the bill however...
Thank guys,
Topper
Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 AM

mine was doing the same thing took it in they replaced the Lift pump, lasted 3 days, woud not start again , too it back in the kept it 3 days checked the pressure relief valve injecters, nothing findally it quit on them and they found the pressure relief valve wast bleeding fuel back into the tank, it's been 6 days so far it starts fine
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 AM

It all sounds like a check valve issue. Like once it sets pressure is bleed off thus making it crank longer to replace the lost pressure and fuel volume. Is there a C.V. between the tank and the cp3? Between filter housing and cp3? Between cp3 and injectors? Makes since in my head, also makes since why it runs great once it starts.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks for the reply!
I don't think the Smarty is going to fix my problem but I did order one for my truck anyway...
My truck always took a couple of revolutions to start until I got my Smarty. Now it seems to start on the first compression stroke. It is that fastest starting vehile I have ever had. I thought it was just my imagination until I put it back to stock one time. Let us know if it works for you.

Ron
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks guys for all the replys!
I really appreciate it!
The check valve thing sounds like it may be the problem. The only thing is I have a Commander and when I shut the truck off at night my injection pressure reads, say 22000 psi. In the morning it still reads the same before I start the truck so I didn't think it was bleeding down. Also if it was a check valve I would think it would give me the most trouble in the morning after it has sat all night. She starts pretty good in the morning. It really acts up after I drive the truck for a little bit and let it sit for say a half an hour or so and when I try to start it she just cranks and cranks and cranks.... It cranks at 200 rpms and sometimes it will start and alot of times it wont. If I give it a shot of ether she starts right up and runs great.
The dealer still thinks it's the injectors but because I don't loose pressure I'm not so sure. Could the Commander be wrong it just taps into the pressure sensor wire? Could the sensor be wrong?
Just camping how did your truck start in the mornings? And did it start ok when it was warmed up?
Thanks again for the help!!!
Topper
Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 PM

Ya i dont believe those pressures at all. Mine idles in the 650-670 range to be 22000 you would have had to kill at the end of a long hard run and coast in the garage! haha. See what i mean though, i just put my rail gauge on today but still the most you could see is idle press. if that when you first start it. I really dont think it even has any memory and it starts over every time you kill the truck, or turn off the ignition. Im thinking check valve def. rather its in the pump or in an inj.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by stock600
Ya i dont believe those pressures at all. Mine idles in the 650-670 range to be 22000 you would have had to kill at the end of a long hard run and coast in the garage! haha. See what i mean though, i just put my rail gauge on today but still the most you could see is idle press. if that when you first start it. I really dont think it even has any memory and it starts over every time you kill the truck, or turn off the ignition. Im thinking check valve def. rather its in the pump or in an inj.

What do you think would cause this and others with the same problems to be so erradic/random???
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM

I have no idea, i wish i knew. Good friend of mines is in the shop this week for this prob. well see what they find, this is the one i did so much work on before he took it back in.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:24 AM

Mine would start fine in the mornings, but after I drive it about 10 minutes and it sat for about 10 , it would not start without a little shot of either, so far the relief valve has fixed it

Quick Reply: Long crank