3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

lockers / limited slips

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The limited slip works great in these trucks...if you know how to use it.

Even in Colorado...
Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad

Even in Colorado...
I was going to say something like that but maybe not in those words. Nice job. Can you be my publicist? (sp)
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya, it's great on pavement

Seriously, come down to PINS and see how a little fluffy sand will stop these trucks in their tracks.

You shouldn't have to modulate the brakes (while trying to carry forward momentum) to make the stupid thing work. In that way it is no better than an open diff.

Real limited slips don't have that feature.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160

Seriously, come down to PINS and see how a little fluffy sand will stop these trucks in their tracks.

You shouldn't have to modulate the brakes (while trying to carry forward momentum) to make the stupid thing work. In that way it is no better than an open diff.

Yeah they do, that's why they are a limited slip and not a locker. To me its sounds like you want the limited slip to act like a Detroit Locker.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:13 PM

With your truck...2 Detroits won't help. Try a little more surface area!

If you have forward momentum with both wheels at the same speed...and then punch it...you will 50/50 split period with the OEM limited slip. If you are stopped cold in the water and punch it...you may only spin one tire...that is why the brake modulation is required only briefly to get both wheel up to the same speed...then bam....the it WORKS!

I have never been stuck with mine and it appears I see far more dirt/sand/mud than you.

I am NOT saying that I would prefer this sytem over a switchable real locker...that would be the ultimate...but for now...and compared to the limited slips of old...this one works just fine.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Yeah they do, that's why they are a limited slip and not a locker. To me its sounds like you want the limited slip to act like a Detroit Locker.
I'm keenly aware of their design and operational differences. Sorry sir, you are wrong.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
With your truck...2 Detroits won't help. Try a little more surface area!
I understand there are limitations to my tire choice. But my '03 truck with the heavy front end and the "one wheel peel" out back gets stuck easily where my other trucks never did.

If you have forward momentum with both wheels at the same speed...and then punch it...you will 50/50 split period with the OEM limited slip. If you are stopped cold in the water and punch it...you may only spin one tire...that is why the brake modulation is required only briefly to get both wheel up to the same speed...then bam....the it WORKS!

I have never been stuck with mine and it appears I see far more dirt/sand/mud than you.

I am NOT saying that I would prefer this sytem over a switchable real locker...that would be the ultimate...but for now...and compared to the limited slips of old...this one works just fine.
Is that directed at me? You don't know anything about my driving condtions. I don't understand the "TracRite" apologist. I've owned 5 4x4 trucks and I can say this '03 is the only one that gets stuck regularly.

not mine:

Old 08-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

I dont know why everyone says ARB would be the bomb. Yes ARB's work great when locked but unlocked there completely open. I'd hate the fact to need both wheel and only one spinning. Think about how many time your factory LSD come in handy in last minute situations, wouldnt it suck if you had a ARB and it wasnt locked at the time you need it, so you have to stop and then turn it on,

We need a LSD/full selectable locker. I thought someone makes that.

Even if ARB came out with a locker for $100 I wouldnt buy it for the rear. I'd rather have LSD which turns both wheels 90% of the time vs ARB which is never unless you slow down and activate it.

I'd hate to loose a little blvd battle due to I didnt have time to activate my ARB or not be able to have fun it 1" of snow, or 1st rain
Old 08-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Banned

i spent the weekends playing in the dunes..... i never had a problem geting stuck... and i spent the entire weekend in 2wd cause ive been to lazy to replace front u joits..
Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 PM

Need a little imput

Alright guys, There seems to be a few of you that know some about the AAM rear axle. I just bought a 2003 2500 4x4 CTD,my question is when I am at any speed above 50 and let off the gas there is a vibration coming from the rear end. I checked the u-joints and they seem fine I guess I am not sure what else it may be. Also when I turn sharp corners in town the rear end chatters. This weekend I hauled my camper for the first time and it chattered so bad the mirrors would shake. I pulled the diff cover off today and everything looks good, The fluid was also decent looking. It has 75000 miles on it, I would hope its not bad yet. It is the locking diff also. Just wondering if some one might have some info, Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigdav160

I just love revisiting these topics but as my buddy Dodgezilla says "thats what keeps things going around here"

I have a logging company so you might be able to imagine some of the places I have put my two trucks(check sig). Both have been tried true in these places. I have been hung one time in three years in the 5 speed, mainly due to crappy tires. Never hung in the Automatic.

Last time we talked about the rearend and how I thought it was a true locker because of all the experiences I have had with sand, mud, slush, ice ect. These were all 2 WD experiences. Two rooster tails always, one black mark on pavement while the other tire is digging through ice...blah, blah, blah. I cant knock what I have.

Now I did have a 91 that was stuck all the time in 2WD. The rear end would never lock. Always transfering power to the one spinning the most. I hated having to get out all the time and lock the front wheels in

IMO I think you are not giving the AAM its due. But thats not worth diddly squat...if you think its all the axles fault.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BigDan
We need a LSD/full selectable locker. I thought someone makes that.

I think the Eaton E-locker does this but I think you can only use it in the front on our trucks.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt S
I think the Eaton E-locker does this but I think you can only use it in the front on our trucks.
Does anyone ever read my posts? or read my sig
BTW Im saying Im the one getting hit in the head
Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 AM
Banned

Also when I turn sharp corners in town the rear end chatters.
Have you serviced the diff lately? What fluid was used? You can try adding a bottle of friction modifier but you run the risk of making it a one-wheel wonder. Best to use freah recommended fluid then add the modifier if needed.

I just love revisiting these topics but as my buddy Dodgezilla says "thats what keeps things going around here"
Yeah, its pretty much the same all over. One person out of 5 has a problem and the item is junk no matter how many have one that functions correctly.

Now if the individuals that have a non-functioning LS that is obviously BROKE would do the obvious thing like tear it apart to find the PROBLEM and FIX it so it worked correctly then POST said info, THAT would be something worth reading.

Jeeez! We replace transmissions , turbos, injectors, suspension, etc, but NOBODY with a broke limited slip will do anything but whine, complain, and trash talk it. Rather comical to say the least.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Does anyone ever read my posts? or read my sig
BTW Im saying Im the one getting hit in the head

Yes Dan, we read your posts and sig. (sigh)

Quick Reply: lockers / limited slips