3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

lockers / limited slips

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockers / limited slips

I can't face another Colo winter without a decent rearend.

any one have experience on aftermarket units, to include ARD

Anyone has history with an installer around Colo Springs CO

thanks guys
Old 08-22-2006, 12:13 AM

I live in denver and have been considering a switch to dodge from GM as my personal vehicle. The locker in the GM's works pretty well in the snow here, I gather from your post that the stock limited slip in the dodge doesnt?

Bill
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 AM

the limited slip in these trucks are junk, i got stuck in about 3" of sand one day and only had 1 wheel spinning. I was about 10 seconds from pulling off my diff cover and weilding the spider gears together. I dont think there is a locker made for these rear ends yet. Since Dodge went to the american axle and away from the Dana 60/70. I could be wrong, i havnt done any research in about 6 months since I am deployed right now.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:11 AM

AAM makes lockers for these things, but I have no idea where you could buy one, and I bet it would be pricey....
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Bill, I seem to remember you from the Chevy forum. Still waiting on a DMax Suburban? Anyway, the AAM axle Dodge is using is the same one behind the GM DMax. I'm fairly certain the "GuvLok" differential is only available for the 7.5 inch to the 10.5 inch AAM axle. Nothing is available for the 11.5 inch gear that is used behind the diesels except AAM's own "TracRite" gear type differential. In the Dodge application it doesn't live up to it's potential because of the lack of traction control. This robust unit would probably be great with that addition. Gear type differntials require traction at both tires to make both wheels spin. If one tires loses all traction it is no better than an open differntial with the tire without traction getting all the power. Sure the Dodge owners manual says that modulating the brakes can sometimes get the wheel with traction spinning but how is that any differnent than an open differnetial? It's not. I've been stuck several times in my truck. I never did in my Govlok equipped GM gasser.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have read that some guys have had sucess by gently applying the brakes until the power starts to tranfer to the other wheel. Don't have one, just read about this.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM

The TracRite is identical to Detroits Truetrac limited slip (the best out there) with the exception of the amount of torque bias (3:1 for the Truetrac, 2:1 for the TracRite). That less aggressive torque bias is it's only weakness. It works well for me, however. And yes, applying a little break will help.

An Eaton E-locker can be added to the front diff. Give Differential Systems in San Diego a call (619-298-3568) if you have questions.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 AM

What year did they drop the Dana's?
... and WHY??
I always figured Dana was about the best...
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Other than lack of parts availability, I prefer the AAM axle in the rear.

I own a drivetrain shop and I have worked on too many Dana axles with the same stupid problems.

Have yet to see an 11.5"AAM in the shop. Pretty good considering what kind of power guys are putting to them.

There are 2 different posi options for these axles from the aftermarket, a helical gear type(like factory)and the GovBomb style.

I like the factory posi, but I don't rock crawl with my truck. I install dozens of TrueTracs every year. My posi of choice.

Applying the brake does the job when required.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 PM

I wish ARB would make a locker
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 PM

wat about the front

do yall no if they make one for the front for the 9.25
Old 08-22-2006, 04:34 PM

Yes, the Eaton Elocker (for the GM application) fits with some grinding to the differential housing.

I've got one but haven't put it in yet.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by welndmn
I wish ARB would make a locker
I ask the local ARB reseller in town about every 3 months, same answer: Working on it!

Yeah, I'm dissapointed!

Tony
Old 08-23-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by griggs43
do yall no if they make one for the front for the 9.25
Do a search on this - there is 100's of posts about the Eaton E. I have mine and its awesome. Putting it in sucked and should probably be done only by professionals.

As for the rear. I dont know what everyone is complaining about. Mine locks up fine in mud, sand, ice, pull track... never had a problem. Of course we talked at length about this same subject a few months back - some people had different theories about why some locked tight and some seem to just spin one wheel. I still dont know why some work beter than others. Well, I have a theory but dont want to say might make someone mad
Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Well, I have a theory but dont want to say might make someone mad
Yeah, I have the same theory...

Quick Reply: lockers / limited slips