3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

loading smarty with FASS.. problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loading smarty with FASS.. problems

so friday afternoon im about to leave town and wanted to reload my smarty for the trip. i recently took it back to stock for a trip to the dealer and it took a couple tries to get it bck to stock but it took it... so friday it took me amost an hour and probably over a dozen tries.

i pulled the in-line fuse from my FASS to load it and i kept getting an error 42. so finally it took the stock software and i got her on the road. i want to put the smarty back on the truck but how? do i disconnect the power to pump from the battery? i know the pumps drawing too much power and causing the smarty to send an error message. do i download the software again and try it? what do you guys do???
Old 03-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
do me a favor and pull the abs fuses and then load the software and report back. Thank you

Last edited by Bob Wagner; 03-09-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-10-2008, 06:36 AM

what about the fuel pump? leave the fuse in and leave it connected? or pull both the abs and the fuel pump fuse?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

I pull both fuses marked ABS and the fuel pump during a download. If it is cold outside I also make sure the batteries are at full charge by putting a charger on for a hour or so. It sounds like a lot of stuff, but when I do it, I dont have the issues like you had.

One time it took me 1 1/2 hours until it finally took the stock file. The whole time I was scared and thinking I was going to buy another ECM. I was told the 05's are by far the pickiest about downloads. Even the Dodge dealer told me this.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 AM

id try it when i get home. but whats to say it will work the first time?
Old 03-10-2008, 08:50 AM

if what bob asked doesn't work just pull the wires from the battery
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Does this happen alot? I just loaded mine and it did just fine. But i drove the truck till it was at TEMP-warm. Mine cycled a few times that was it.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ramble bee
Does this happen alot? I just loaded mine and it did just fine. But i drove the truck till it was at TEMP-warm. Mine cycled a few times that was it.
i see you have the FASS so what did you do? pull the abs fuse or no?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:33 AM

No like i said just warmed it up then downloaded it. Hope you get it lined out. Is yours wired in to the factory loom? Mine is. TST has a loom for it thet did mine.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ramble bee
No like i said just warmed it up then downloaded it. Hope you get it lined out. Is yours wired in to the factory loom? Mine is. TST has a loom for it thet did mine.
**** new trucks..
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

The whole idea is to have as little of a voltage drop as possible. Computers do stupid stuff when the voltage drops. The ABS thing is because the engine ECM and ABS ECM both communicate through the data link. The Smarty (or any other downloader) reprogram through the data link and sometimes the ABS tries to transmit data to the engine while the Smarty is recalibrating. At least the Smarty is smart enough to know there is a issue and stops the download, rather than put a corrupted file in your ECM. Like I said, mainly a issue with 05's.

I learned this at the expense of a new engine ECM, thanks to Diablo.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 PM

got it. so pull the abs fuses and leave the FASS fuse in place and see what happens? then if that doesnt work pull the FASS fuse as well. if that doesnt work.... no clue.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:58 PM

pull both fuses. you do not want to have any load on the system while running the downloader
Old 03-10-2008, 05:25 PM

pulled any fuse with ABS in front of it and the fuse for my pump... still giving me an error 42. WHY?????
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM

well 4 hours later she is back up and running... on stock setting for now. i tried everything- took abs fuses out, took pump fuse out, tried pump fuse out with abs fuses in. no go.. finally said screw it and left the abs fuses in and disconnected the pump power from battery... worked like a charm the first time.

so now she is back to the stock tune till i try d/l software on her again. bob, any ideas why that worked?? thanks llyod and bob for callng and offerng help.

Quick Reply: loading smarty with FASS.. problems