3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little update

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrleb1
There is supposed to be side-to-side play. As long as it isn't rubbing you are totally good. If it were tight, you wouldn't have any space for the oil to create a fluid bearing so the turbo will handle 80,000 to 90,000 rpms. If you had a BB turbo, then i would say you are having problems.

Back-to-forth movement is a problem. That means the bushing going out. If you continue to abuse it, you will have more problems than a worn bushing. You will have a much bigger bill than $400.

Depending on the turbine pitch and number of fins, your boost could be correct. If it not an agressive turbine, you turbine will be flowing more exhaust through it. Chris could be using his own turbine rather than the same one as HTT.
Chris said this turbo will make 65psi before its outta its comfort range, he said some guys with the same turbo have seen 70psi and higher but its not making any power up there, so 65psi with this turbo is about the max id wanna run it when it get studs!

There is something going on cause it just didnt wanna build over 45psi and temps could get outta hand and this is with stock sticks.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah, but i doubt the people making 65 lbs of boost are running stock sticks. If you have injectors, i bet you will make more boost.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Yeah, but i doubt the people making 65 lbs of boost are running stock sticks. If you have injectors, i bet you will make more boost.
Yeah im on stock sticks for now, so you dont think the stock sticks are enough to push this turbo further? I kinda had that in the back of my mind.....
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM

I doubt it. Stock injectors will only do so much. The 71 turbine is a big turbine and it flows a lot. The more fuel you put to it, the more you are going to drive that turbo.

On my Super B Special (almost same thing), just on programming and injectors it would climb past the wastegate only by a couple psi. As soon as i would turn on the TST, it would blow by the wastegate by 20 psi.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 PM

I doubt it. Stock injectors will only do so much. The 71 turbine is a big turbine and it flows a lot. The more fuel you put to it, the more you are going to drive that turbo.

On my Super B Special (almost same thing), just on programming and injectors it would climb past the wastegate only by a couple psi. As soon as i would turn on the TST, it would blow by the wastegate by 20 psi.
Well then I know what I have to do then.... Im planning buy summer to have some EH 90-110hp.
Ill have to wait and get my turbo back from Chris and see how it act's and go from there!

That TST is a BAD ****, It'll build boost thats for sure, It sang my stocker past 50psi one time! I LOVE the crap outta mine!!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bswope
Yeah im on stock sticks for now, so you dont think the stock sticks are enough to push this turbo further? I kinda had that in the back of my mind.....

That's what I came to the conclusion as to why.....Not enough fuel. But, more fuel = more possible heat. It's a trade off. With the 71 wheel and towing heavy, injector size is critical to keeping a cool running engine but you can adjust your tune with the Smarty for Towing. I'm gonna run on my stock sticks a little longer. When the time is right, I will step up. Upgrading isn't cheep.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:54 PM

Erick, my turbo is the same one Joey has! (fordassassin)
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
That's what I came to the conclusion as to why.....Not enough fuel. But, more fuel = more possible heat. It's a trade off. With the 71 wheel and towing heavy, injector size is critical to keeping a cool running engine but you can adjust your tune with the Smarty for Towing. I'm gonna run on my stock sticks a little longer. When the time is right, I will step up. Upgrading isn't cheep.
Im not gonna go real big on injectors cause I still want to be able to tow, but im planning to put a S400 of some sort under this 64 in the future!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Erick, my turbo is the same one Joey has! (fordassassin)
Yeah, i know. He is going to have the same issue as you. Except he doesn't have a TST on the truck. His is an 03-04 and they need injectors anyways.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Yeah, i know. He is going to have the same issue as you. Except he doesn't have a TST on the truck. His is an 03-04 and they need injectors anyways.
Yeah he said he is gonna do some 120's in his, I hope when I get mine back from Chris everything will be good to go, and I hope Joey gets his going as well!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

When I had my HTT 64/71 I spun 51-53psi out of it with a smarty and pressure box(stock sticks). Also, When I had the SB 66 I was also able to get boost up above 50.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
When I had my HTT 64/71 I spun 51-53psi out of it with a smarty and pressure box(stock sticks). Also, When I had the SB 66 I was also able to get boost up above 50.
Yeah, but I think Chris is building these with a less aggresive turbine wheel or wheel that has fewer fins. This will drop the boost while flowing more out the exhaust. I don't think it is the exact same turbine the HTT or II.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 AM

Hey hows it going guys? I fixed my problem with my allen bolt (I was seeing 35 psi the day I installed the turbo and the next morning I was only seeing 29 psi. So I looked at the turbo and the allen bolt was missing as if it wasn't tightened in there. There is no lock to hold that thing in there but now I fixed it). The truck isn't smoking no more and boost hit 45. Though I haven't turned the waste gate all the way. I still have a few turns, but I wanted to see what sort of boost it would build without going over 55 psi. I will let you guys know early tomorrow morning how much boost it makes with the waste gate turned up more.

The truck is a lot faster up top, but without sticks it isn't much help. It does take a while to spool up at the line and anything below 2200 rpm is just gutless. The truck feels like it will take forever to get going until it hits 2200 rpm. Also, with my stock sticks it stills smokes pretty good and doesn't clear up until 40+ psi.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 AM

Joey glad you got that figured out man! I was hopeing that would take care of it, now you just need to get some injectors in there and a better flowing manifold and that thing should spool great for ya!

Mine spools great with the stock stix and manifold, so I cant wait to get it back and get a second gen manifold and some stix!

One more thing guys , this kinda slipped my mind till Joey and I was talking, I can see boost on the needle by 16-7000rpm and the whistle is more pronounced, but then this wining noise starts to come in like a siren or something, is this normal!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM

Joey glad you got that figured out man! I was hopeing that would take care of it, now you just need to get some injectors in there and a better flowing manifold and that thing should spool great for ya!

Mine spools great with the stock stix and manifold, so I cant wait to get it back and get a second gen manifold and some stix!

One more thing guys , this kinda slipped my mind till Joey and I was talking, I can see boost on the needle by 16-7000rpm and the whistle is more pronounced, but then this wining noise starts to come in like a siren or something, is this normal!
Sounds like a boost leak around one of your boots. They will whine like a siren if you don't get the clamps tight.

Quick Reply: Little update