3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little update

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spooler
NO kidding..... Is this the new metal gasket they came out with. I am also using the stock gasket. 43 psi of boost is all I can make also and that is with my Quad turned all the way up. With the Smarty alone I can only muster up 38-39 psi of boost... BSWOPE....change it and let me know.
They have used a thick compressable gasket that seals around the curves of the turbo and the exhaust housing. It's much like a header gasket from a gasser. I'll see if I can find a picture of one somewhere.

Update: Here is the link for the gasket I got with my turbo. Remflex gasket

I also called HTT and they are also using a stainless gasket.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM

I though HTT just went away from using the compressible graphite gaskets. When I got mine early last summer, it did have that thick graphite gasket though.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
I though HTT just went away from using the compressible graphite gaskets. When I got mine early last summer, it did have that thick graphite gasket though.
You're right, I just called them. For some reason they started using a stainless gasket. Not sure why. That Remflex seals nicely
Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cause they don't last.....LOL They will blow out like crazy. That is why I stuck with my stock gasket.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Well fellas the turbo is off the truck and heading back to Michigan for Chris to look over and see what might be goin on!

I have a SS gasket that he sent me that will go back on when I get it my turbo back, i had the turbo bolted up with the stock gasket before I got the SS gasket.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by jtharvey
I get a little rattle in the upper RPM as well...only with the TNT. Sounds like timing rattle, but not sure. I can make 45-46 psi though, with that same turbo. Maybe it's the injectors making a difference. I haven't touched the wastegate.

What really caught my attention was the clinking noise that you mentioned, as mine does the same thing, and I've got the same turbo. Just a very light "tinny" clink or ping when I shut the engine off and the turbo is spooling down. Almost like one fin on a wheel is just touching a housing. I'll be interested in what you find out.
Yep that is the EXACT same sound im hearing too!!
I want my boost up around 48-50psi till i get some studs in, but it just wont build any more past 45psi!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
Just watching as you guys are making me nervous, because I'm about to buy the HTT 64/71/13SS
BUY THAT TURBO AND DONT LOOK BACK!!!!!!!!!!

Dont let this thread steer you away from the HTT as mine was custom built, it might be just something small with mine so dont let this steer you in another direction!
You wont have any issues with the HTT as they come with all the parts you need to bolt it right up!

Im excited for ya man, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Cause they don't last.....LOL They will blow out like crazy. That is why I stuck with my stock gasket.
Did you have an issue with one of the Remflex gaskets? Because when I talked to HTT about they said it was a very small failure rate and it was mostly with guys running exhaust brakes.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM

Buddy,

Was there any shaft play?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Justice4all
Did you have an issue with one of the Remflex gaskets? Because when I talked to HTT about they said it was a very small failure rate and it was mostly with guys running exhaust brakes.

Noop, but I have used them on other vehicles. I prefer the metal reusable crush gasket as long as it is not goofed up. I got my turbo before they came out with the metal gasket. Took one look at that gasket and threw it in the toolbox junk drawer. I didn't want to do this twice.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Howling
Buddy,

Was there any shaft play?
Yes, there was a fair amount side to side play, Im not a turbo expert but when I grabbed the exhaust wheel nut and inducer wheel nut there was in my opinion a fair amount of side to side play, wasn't quite rubbing but pretty dang close IMHO!
I will let everyone know what Chris has to say when he gets the turbo to inspect it! There has to be something going on, cause like I said it would only build 45psi with the Smarty TNT SW#7 AND the TST on 3/1!

I cant say enough about my TST, this thing just flat out hits hard in the mid range and pulls hard on top, quite an improvement to the TNT's mid and top for sure! It plays very well with the TNT on my truck!
Old 02-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Noop, but I have used them on other vehicles. I prefer the metal reusable crush gasket as long as it is not goofed up. I got my turbo before they came out with the metal gasket. Took one look at that gasket and threw it in the toolbox junk drawer. I didn't want to do this twice.
I actually thought the opposite. I took a look at it and said I'll bet that gasket actually seals. I've used a ton of the graphite header gaskets and never had a problem.

It's fine if you like the stock gasket. I prefer to see my turbo make more than 70% it's boost capacity. If it takes a graphite gasket to get the most efficient use of my turbo, then that's what I'll use.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM

I have seen no difference in boost numbers between the graphite and the stainless steel gasket. No difference in spool up either on any of the turbos I have installed either
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 AM

The graphite puked on me when I was towing early one morning about 10 miles out from my house. turbos sure don't spool with half a gasket blown out. The ride home was slow and toasty. My brothers HTT 62-71-14 has aprox 30,000 miles on it and already has 1/8-1/4" front to back play. I know the side to side is normal on a brand new one but front to back is a timebomb. Is This normal? Htt said he had it for more than a year so tuff. $400 bones min.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:29 AM

There is supposed to be side-to-side play. As long as it isn't rubbing you are totally good. If it were tight, you wouldn't have any space for the oil to create a fluid bearing so the turbo will handle 80,000 to 90,000 rpms. If you had a BB turbo, then i would say you are having problems.

Back-to-forth movement is a problem. That means the bushing going out. If you continue to abuse it, you will have more problems than a worn bushing. You will have a much bigger bill than $400.

Depending on the turbine pitch and number of fins, your boost could be correct. If it not an agressive turbine, you turbine will be flowing more exhaust through it. Chris could be using his own turbine rather than the same one as HTT.

Quick Reply: Little update