3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little update

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lmills
yep, that's what he is talking about. I have those too if you need one. lol By now you should be able to drive here with your eyes closed.
Your not kidding! I just set the ol' auto pilot and she knows right where to go!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 AM

Im also gonna call Chris and see if he has any tighter springs for his setup, Its just like the Bullseye setup just a little different.

But Lloyd Im gonna "try" and ride down today, Ill call before I do to make sure your there!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Fellas I turned that screw in as far as I could I think and still will only make 45psi!!
Im tellin ya fellas... the Smarty will only make 40psi, and I still have the rattle, I just dont understand why its doing that , is it something Bob or Marco might need to look into with my truck?
Only time it will build more than 40psi is with the ol' trusty TST, then the thing wakes up on top end but only seeing 45psi and temps can still get outta hand and with them getting that hot now I cant imagine what they will be when I get some sticks in the mix!

Guys the truck runs fine and all but this rattle has me goin nuts!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check very closely that you don't have an exhaust leak between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. If you use the wrong gasket on the stainless steel exhaust housings, they will leak. Also make sure the bolts aren't bottoming out against the turbo, before it gets tight.

Paul
Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by paulb
Check very closely that you don't have an exhaust leak between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. If you use the wrong gasket on the stainless steel exhaust housings, they will leak. Also make sure the bolts aren't bottoming out against the turbo, before it gets tight.

Paul
The gasket is the stock one, I had to get some manifold studs from Lloyd to make the back two studs fit, the stock ones were to long, so Lloyd had some studs that come with the HTT SS series turbos he gave me, but I made him take a couple beans for em'!
Ive looked over everything numerous times and havent seen any leaks at all, im kinda picky about things like that..... BUT I will check again!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bswope
The gasket is the stock one, I had to get some manifold studs from Lloyd to make the back two studs fit, the stock ones were to long, so Lloyd had some studs that come with the HTT SS series turbos he gave me, but I made him take a couple beans for em'!
Ive looked over everything numerous times and havent seen any leaks at all, im kinda picky about things like that..... BUT I will check again!
HTT has a special gasket for the SS series turbos. It has larger openings and the "upraised" part of the gasket will contact the exhaust housing better. With the stock gasket the "upraised" part of the gasket will often not make full contact, and a leak will develop. I fought this with my 66/71/16SS until HTT came out with the new gasket. Now I run 82lbs of boost with as much drive pressure, and no sign of a leak.

Hope this helps...
Paul
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
HTT has a special gasket for the SS series turbos. It has larger openings and the "upraised" part of the gasket will contact the exhaust housing better. With the stock gasket the "upraised" part of the gasket will often not make full contact, and a leak will develop. I fought this with my 66/71/16SS until HTT came out with the new gasket. Now I run 82lbs of boost with as much drive pressure, and no sign of a leak.

Hope this helps...
Paul
NO kidding..... Is this the new metal gasket they came out with. I am also using the stock gasket. 43 psi of boost is all I can make also and that is with my Quad turned all the way up. With the Smarty alone I can only muster up 38-39 psi of boost... BSWOPE....change it and let me know.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Spooler
NO kidding..... Is this the new metal gasket they came out with. I am also using the stock gasket. 43 psi of boost is all I can make also and that is with my Quad turned all the way up. With the Smarty alone I can only muster up 38-39 psi of boost... BSWOPE....change it and let me know.
Spooler I have the same issue with the Smarty, 40psi is all it will make, and I have a rattle in the upper rpm range.
Now with the TST ill see 45 max!
I think I have one of those gaskets, but it wasn't sent to me till after the turbo was bolted up!
Guys I might be pullin the turbo off anyway due to other issue's im haveing.
When I shut the truck and walk over to the passenger side I can hear the turboo still spinning and its making a clicking noise untill it stops spinning.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

clicking ???? that blows, how are you reading boost, off a straight mechanical setup, or does that optix take an electronic reading ?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM

Na, the Optix reads it by a boost bolt!

Yeah the clicking noise have me worried, im goin an a trip here in about a month and need my truck for this trip so I need to get things figured out pretty quick!
Im callin Chris this morning to see if he thinks it needs pulled and sent back to him!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bswope
Spooler I have the same issue with the Smarty, 40psi is all it will make, and I have a rattle in the upper rpm range.
Now with the TST ill see 45 max!
I think I have one of those gaskets, but it wasn't sent to me till after the turbo was bolted up!
Guys I might be pullin the turbo off anyway due to other issue's im haveing.
When I shut the truck and walk over to the passenger side I can hear the turboo still spinning and its making a clicking noise untill it stops spinning.
I get a little rattle in the upper RPM as well...only with the TNT. Sounds like timing rattle, but not sure. I can make 45-46 psi though, with that same turbo. Maybe it's the injectors making a difference. I haven't touched the wastegate.

What really caught my attention was the clinking noise that you mentioned, as mine does the same thing, and I've got the same turbo. Just a very light "tinny" clink or ping when I shut the engine off and the turbo is spooling down. Almost like one fin on a wheel is just touching a housing. I'll be interested in what you find out.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:23 AM
tcr

Just watching as you guys are making me nervous, because I'm about to buy the HTT 64/71/13SS
Old 02-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No clicking here. I am all good in that aspect.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Hope this helps...
Paul
Buddy, the gasket may very well be your problem. It does sound like you're not getting full use of your exhaust.

That new HTT gasket is a sweet little piece and it does seal very well. it comes with all new HTT SS turbos.

My turbo is gated to 48 PSI, and it gets there quick.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by tcr
Just watching as you guys are making me nervous, because I'm about to buy the HTT 64/71/13SS
It's a sweet little turbo. No reason to be nervous.

If you get the HTT it comes with the gasket and all the mounting accessories so that you can use the turbo immediately after install.

Quick Reply: Little update