3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little update

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little update

Well I adjusted the waste gate a little more today and tried some different TNT combo's, no matter what I tried I still have the rattle in the upper rpm range and the only difference in boost is im still only seeing 40psi but boost jumps up there pretty quick with the help of the TST, Smarty alone seems to struggle a bit to get the boost to 40psi.

Right now im running the Smarty on SW#6 TM-2, Timing-2, RP-3, waste gate off
truck runs great and pulls hard, but I still have that rattle in the upper rpm range,(no TST) not as bad as it was on other SW's but its still there!
Rail pressure seems to be keeping up fine for a stock pump!

Anyone running a 64/71/13ss with similar mods, what TNT settings are you running and what kinda boost #'s are you seeing?

Thanks,
Buddy
Old 02-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Buddy, I have mine gated to 48 PSI and I run TNT SW7 and I have a hard time heating it up. However, I ran SW8 with timing on 2 and it was the stoutest Smarty tune I've ever tried, but it got hot quickly.

For me, the even numbers run hotter, even with added timing. Have you tried the odd programs? I didn't hear any sound difference between running the even vs. the odd though.

Your rattle is slightly confusing, Did you have it with the regular Revo?
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 PM

No he didnt......Talked to Buddy tonight, and it didn't start untill the new turbo had gotten installed...................
Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Banned

I would put vise grips on the hose coming off the compressor to the wastegate. It sounds like your waste gate is opening to early. and needs to be adjusted more
Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM

he has no actuator. They sold it to him with a spring loaded actuator that works off of back pressure.

Buddy, if it got better with some adjustments, I would definitely lean in that direction. I have had similar issues with wastegate issues.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Justice4all
Buddy, I have mine gated to 48 PSI and I run TNT SW7 and I have a hard time heating it up. However, I ran SW8 with timing on 2 and it was the stoutest Smarty tune I've ever tried, but it got hot quickly.

For me, the even numbers run hotter, even with added timing. Have you tried the odd programs? I didn't hear any sound difference between running the even vs. the odd though.

Your rattle is slightly confusing, Did you have it with the regular Revo?
Brent I didnt have the rattle with the regular REVO, when winter hit I went back to the regular REVO and was running SW#4 TM-2, Timing-0, RP-0, wastegate off and was using the TST for timing and pressure, set the TST to 3/1, RP on 2 and 12* timing and the truck ran awesome. This was with the stock turbo.
Now after the install of the new turbo, I tried the same for alittle break in before switching back to the TNT and had no rattle at all! (reg revo)

So after about 50 miles on the new turbo, I switched back to the TNT and figured Id try the same TNT combo that made the most HP on the stock turbo to start off with witch was SW#7 TM-3, Timing-2, RP-3, wastgate off, and TST on 2/0 standard program, truck ran fine but this is when I noticed the rattle, so I turned the TST off and it was still there!
I just dont get it......... only thing that has changed is the new turbo!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by lmills
he has no actuator. They sold it to him with a spring loaded actuator that works off of back pressure.

Is this setup supposed to be better than the actuator?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Buddy, if it got better with some adjustments, I would definitely lean in that direction. I have had similar issues with wastegate issues.
Lloyd Im gonna adjust it some more tomorrow, but I still wanna ride down so you can hear this rattle sometime!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by chrleb1
Is this setup supposed to be better than the actuator?

never tried it in a single configuration. I have seen it used, and also used it personally on twin set ups, but I think it is not enough for Buddy's set up.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

oh I wasn't aware of that Guess the vise grips ain't goona tell ya nothin then
Old 02-15-2009, 10:01 PM

Buddy, it sounds to me like you need a stronger spring on your actuator. Chris may have installed the spring that is designed for low pressure use in twins unless you're not at the limit of travel yet. If not, cinch that sucker down and see what it does.

I know Bullseye ships both the low and the high pressure spring when you buy the actuator from them, and I'm pretty sure that actuator is what Chris used unless he builds his own.

As far as the sound goes, since you're hearing it pre boost and it stops when the boost comes up, it sounds like your hearing the larger shots of fuel more definitively because the boost isn't coming on as fast as it was with the stock turbo. Lots of guys have had issues with this, but usually because of larger injectors.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Ok, Try this, The spacer that is used for the manifold bolts is the correct size for this. Take the bolt off the spring and slide the spacer in its place. This will hold the wastegate shut allowing for the most boost possible.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluechrome
Ok, Try this, The spacer that is used for the manifold bolts is the correct size for this. Take the bolt off the spring and slide the spacer in its place. This will hold the wastegate shut allowing for the most boost possible.
Spacer????? Not 100% certain what your talking about bluechrome. Im gonna tighten the spring up some more today and see what happens, I was kinda think'n what Brent(justice4all) said about the spring not being strong enough and allowing the wastgate to hang open.
Ill report back when I get a chance to mess with it!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think he's talking about the short piece of tubing that each of the ex. manifold bolts go thru that bolt it to the head.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by homewrecker
I think he's talking about the short piece of tubing that each of the ex. manifold bolts go thru that bolt it to the head.
yep, that's what he is talking about. I have those too if you need one. lol By now you should be able to drive here with your eyes closed.

Quick Reply: Little update