3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Little help, touched the truck and she wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face Little help, touched the truck and she wont start

Well put in spare upgraded F1 injectors, re-torqued studs, and was planning on lashing valves but I like to start her first and let her spin before I lash the valves. (only smart thing I did). So I follow my manual, torque everything and all she does is turn over. ( oh and Im a moron but Ive replaced my injectors before) No smoke nothing. Truck has a code, CEL comes on but Smarty will not read. Only thing I can think is I get numbers mixed sometimes and may, may have torqued the connector tubes to 27 Ftlbs instead of 37. Which would mean I wouldnt prime (in theory anyway) which would mean no smoke and no start.
Any help would be great, any opinions I will gladly read an entertain no matter how simple they may be. At this point all I keep telling myself is if it aint broke dont fix it. It ran great till I touched it . Oh and the wife is thrilled .
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow it up your local Dodge dealer and see if they’ll fix it under warranty. Just tell them that you parked it for 3 days and all the sudden it won’t start.

On they way back hit the jewelry store to calm the wife.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 PM

Injectors

I did the same job as you. FI injectors and valves. This was the first time
I ever worked on a diesel. I was scared I would screw somthing up.
When I was done it took forever to start,I mean a long time,I was almost
ready to give up when it started. I had a lot of white smoke,then it
cleared,good luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

check your injectors. I had good injectors in my truck and after we pulled them out again to do some other work, suddenly the injectors were bad.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the replys guys, my original thought was the case. For some reason #2's connector tube was not torqued properly. Removed all fuel lines checked connector and line torque, bumped the starter twice let her prime and she cranked right up. I knew something was loosing prime when their was no fuel in the fuel lines off the rail .

Oh and one more mistake I put a pin hole some how in the collant line running into or out of the top of the head. Being only a shade tree mechanic Im guessing it goes to the heater core, due to the fact it runs into the cab. I am like a bull in a china shop when it comes to taking apart the dash etc. Any suggestions, is their a quick fix sealer for coolant lines? I just know I would destroy my dash trying to take it apart. Thanks Rye.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Thanks for the replys guys, my original thought was the case. For some reason #2's connector tube was not torqued properly. Removed all fuel lines checked connector and line torque, bumped the starter twice let her prime and she cranked right up. I knew something was loosing prime when their was no fuel in the fuel lines off the rail .

Oh and one more mistake I put a pin hole some how in the collant line running into or out of the top of the head. Being only a shade tree mechanic Im guessing it goes to the heater core, due to the fact it runs into the cab. I am like a bull in a china shop when it comes to taking apart the dash etc. Any suggestions, is their a quick fix sealer for coolant lines? I just know I would destroy my dash trying to take it apart. Thanks Rye.
you should be able to remove your heater hoses WITHOUT ever being in the cab or behind the dash.....
Old 08-18-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
you should be able to remove your heater hoses WITHOUT ever being in the cab or behind the dash.....

You are correct sir, I did not see the disconnects at the firewall. But with twins is going to be a bear to get too. Also I cant get a hose till wed-thur of next week, so I need to come up with a temporary fix. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Cut the hose were the hole is and put a plastic or brass barb fitting in place with a couple of hose clamps.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Duct Tape!!!!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:49 PM

NAPA is open right now........
Old 08-18-2007, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Howling
Cut the hose were the hole is and put a plastic or brass barb fitting in place with a couple of hose clamps.
I would do that with brass, then you could replace it with a plastic flushing tee for coolant flushes later on.......but I would use the brass cuase the plastic breaks down over time and may fail at the wrong time.....
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I would do that with brass, then you could replace it with a plastic flushing tee for coolant flushes later on.......but I would use the brass cuase the plastic breaks down over time and may fail at the wrong time.....
I agree, use a brass splice and a couple of good fi clamps and you're good to go.