3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Line of Fire and DOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line of Fire and DOT

Anyone know if the Recon Line of Fire lights are/would be a legal replacement for the 3 under tailgate lights standard on a dually?
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 AM

I dont see how they would be they line of fire is a turn signal and brake light accessory where the three light is an identifcation light for being at least eight feet wide, the same goes for the cab lights the three in the middle identify as being at least eight feet wide also. just my $.02
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 03whitedually
I dont see how they would be they line of fire is a turn signal and brake light accessory where the three light is an identifcation light for being at least eight feet wide, the same goes for the cab lights the three in the middle identify as being at least eight feet wide also. just my $.02
Really, I thought it was the outer two lights that identified that it was at least eight feet wide.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56 AM

Line of far should not technically replace the centered 3 light cluster... not sure if DOT cares enough to pull over a non commercial operation.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Oh, don't be mistaken, the DOT will pull you over. Believe me!!
Old 12-03-2006, 09:07 AM

I would assume that there Mini LED tailgate light would be DOT compliant but don't quote me on it, we all know what happens when we ***-u-me. If you do decide to go with the Mini LED tailgate light here is a better price www.blakesales.com/Innovative.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 AM

I have a Plasmaglow Fire and Ice light bar due to be delivered tomorrow. I will probably install it next weekend.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM

The outer two give reference to the actual EDGE or furthermost of the structure. The three in the middle give reference to either the vehicle being 8' wide or what's being towed is 8' wide.

I have a friend who was towing his beavertail flatbed with a 2500 SRW that had standard lighting, no cab markers, he got pulled over in one of those fuel checks, anyway the officer told him that if he was going to continue to pull the 8' wide beavertail flatbed he had to have cab clearance lights on his truck also. Something about the tow vehicle identification being the same as what's being towed and the DOT specs on lighting. He got a fix-it ticket, had a couple weeks to remedy the cab lights. He told me he asked about the 3 lights in the back and if they were necessary also, the officer told him no because the basic vehicle was not 8' wide, if he had a dually then they were mandatory for the vehiclce to meet DOT.

I remember earlier this year they were doing a recall on the 3500 SRW's because they did not get the cab clearance lights out of the factory. They did not recall the 2500 SRW's just the 3500 SRW's. I thought that was odd at first, but now I am wondering if the cab clearance lights are required because of the vehicle rating? Since many get the 3500 SRW's and tow greater loads, this may be what that cab clearance light light stuff was all about.

I considered the line of fire light bar until my friend went throug the lighting issues and the DOT. I thought about putting one on my headache rack and decided to go with lighting the headache rack per the DOT. It may or may not be a problem with the DOT and the weight class of the truck, I'm just not going there to possibly invite a problem.

CD
Old 12-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the fire & ice and installed it on the bottom lip of the tailgate. had to trim all of the mounting pads to do it but i didn't want to cover the spare hole crank. They are nice and look really good, the backup lights aren't much more than something that looks good not very functional. I installed two fog lamps under my hitch and that did the trick.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:25 AM

scottsjeeprolet, any pointers you could give me on the Fire and Ice install would be much appreciated. Anything I should check or be aware of before the install other than the spare tire hole? I really didn't buy mine for the backup lights since I have some installed in my Ranchhand back bumper.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Thundercloud,
Thanks for that link.
That's EXACTLY what I've been looking for.

I want to put clear LEDs on the underside of the rear wheelboxes on my dually and hook them to the backup light circuit for help with nightime gauging the distance to the curb when parallel parking.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM

I have the line of fire and have been all over the country and never questioned about it.

I have a replacement tailgate with no lights (cause it got stolen!!!)
Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM

man,, dont show that link to D.Wiggs,, lol,, he will have more leds,,,,

Kevin