3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lift questions for experienced users.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift questions for experienced users.

I've done the search thing but still have questions.

I am looking for more of the blistien starter type of lift due to budget But would like to upgrade some of the components.

With the replacements full leafs, who makes the best in your tested opinion. I see Cari and Lorenzo has them and the are of different design. Yes I tow some and run rough roads and DD my truck. I probably will go with some type of air bag down the road.

I've also read where guys do the mini packs but regret it later. Why? Are they not suited for what you wanted at first or did your needs change?

Front springs. VR, IR, and 6% & 23% What does this all mean? I will have a full replacement bumper soon and will use the truck as described above.

So yes I have emailed the manufactures because they are the experts in what the produce and sell but I wanted your real world experience and knowledge on what I asked above and what you like and dislike. I know some of you may be brand specific and I respect that. I would like to make the best choice the first time since they are not cheap

I also may do the lift in stages. Front then rear.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 11-16-2008, 11:49 AM

I have no experience in the rear leaf packs as I'm still running the stockers on my truck, but I'll try to answer some questions.

Many guys say that they should have just gotten the full replacements instead of mini packs probably because of the cost vs gains, the cost of mini's might make it worth just going for full packs right from the start because of the gains in ride.

VR-variable rate spring, usually 2 or more distinct spring rates
IR-infinate rate spring, a spring with a progressively changing rate through compression.
6% & 23% stiffer spring rate over stock...Lorenz has these offered in the leveling kit
Old 11-17-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks. I hope more will chime in. Like I said I read a lot on the systems but could not find much on the rear leafs.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

The softer of the three and good on road ride will be w/ Carli's Multi Rate Coil as well w/ off road (not much compromise). Kore VR Coils shine off road, especially faster as you go. On road they are somewhat stiff. Lorenz coils IR Coil is just a tad softer than Kore's, but he does have new "Plush IR Coils". Don't know how they compare. I had all three systems and I believe Carli is the best.

One thing though. If your going only w/ the Bilstien 5100's. Full Leaf are a mute point. Where stuff shines is w/ a race type shock (King's & Fox, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0 Shocks because you can valve them to compliment the leafs). I would save money and just get the mini leafs unless you plan on upgrading down the road.

Carli Full leafs are probably the best in haul/tow capacity compared to the rest (staying under 1,000 lbs). Regardless a heavy load weather you have stock, mini or full leafs. You will need air bags.

Also look into (Don) Thuren Suspension....
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 PM

I pretty much have the same requirements as you and i went with the stuff in my sig.....

I wanted the Plush IR coils vs. the 6% Springs, but didnt want the exta 1" of lift in the front (i dont want to run 35's)...so i didnt....if i were planning on 35"s, i would have gotten them.

I got the additional accessories for piece of mind and to fix the junk stock trackbar / power settring pump....worth every penny even w/o lift

I got the rear leafs as I wanted as good a ride as i could get and the stock led bars dont enable that...very happy with the ride diff....

I'm very happy with the setup that i have, but i dont do a lot of offroading....just because i'll have money burning a hole in my pocket at some point, i plan on getting 2.5" shocks and Long Travel Airbags...don't really need any of it, but better than giving the wife the $.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 AM

So with the mini leafs you get a better ride over stock but what about the expansion joint syndrome? I see some still complain until they do the full replacement. And on the front springs with a heavy bumper the 23% would be the best because of the heavy weight? Or would something else be better with that weight and a better ride?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

The only way to get rid of most of the expansion joint blues. Is w/ a good valved shock, but w/ the weight penalty of our unsprung trucks. You will always feel the very harsh ones. Just not as bad and eliminate the smaller expansion joints.

Like I said above. W/ Bilstien 5100's w/ mini leafs or fulls. It will be about the same ride difference and you will be disappointed until you throw better shocks on all four corners (especially the rear). Yes, either one is better than stock w/ the ride. Just won't feel much difference between the fulls and mini leafs w/ the 5100's.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Skyjacker Comparison

Great thread! I have been thinking my truck is running way too stiff for me and I'm looking for alternatives. I have the Skyjacker D25s and the Bilstein 5100s and was thinking the D25s were the culprit. Of course I called skyjacker for options, and they just recommended their hydro boost shock.

Here is the question. how do the Carli, Kore and Lorenze coils differ and what would be recommended to create a better ride?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
With the heavy front bumper,I'd recommend Lorenz's 23% coils(I have them w/my camper). Kore's VR coil is the stiffer of all the company's offerings aside from mine. Save your money up and get some 2.5 shocks. These are heavy trucks. Thuren has a great package deal on King's and his towers. Carli will set you up right also.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM

Don't waste your money on Kore springs, they don't ride any better then stock, I made that mistake.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 PM

i have a full br on my 05' and on my 07' Bith had Kore vr springs and they really tame out that bounce. I don't like Kore's customer service or price inconsistencies but their vr springs are perfect. I hear deaver makes em so maybe order from deaver...good luck
Old 11-26-2008, 09:49 PM

Deaver doesn't make coils.....they source through the same mfr. that Carli uses (or did use). Thuren, Carli and KORE all used the same mfr. at one time. I knew who KORE used and I know who Thuren uses...as for Lorenz, well, search his posts at race-dezert.com and you'll realize that it doesn't really matter who he uses. See what kind of respect he's earned from folks that know what they're talking about.

I hear great things about Carli's multi rate coil....I've ridden in a truck with them, but it was hard to tell based on a short street ride how much was coil and how much was shock valving wizardry. They work....

Unless you're mobbin' like the Carli crowd or Thuren on a good weekend, talk to Don Thuren. Don does alot of custom stuff and can get you set up with something that'll suit your needs and your budget. Carli also has a Bilstein 5100 based starter kit that's competitively priced and works very well.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by XXLTEXAN
i have a full br on my 05' and on my 07' Bith had Kore vr springs and they really tame out that bounce. I don't like Kore's customer service or price inconsistencies but their vr springs are perfect. I hear deaver makes em so maybe order from deaver...good luck
I went from the Kore recon to Tough Country, both with Bilstein 5100's and I bet you couldn't tell which one you were riding in, the Kore might ride a tiny bit better but I sure wasn't impressed considering the massive price tag. The Kore springs "look" like they will ride better being sprung closer but hype doesn't make the ride any better
Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 PM

Most people will be happy with a starter system..........till they take a ride in a Dominator off road at speed .
The plushest ride I have been in on the street to date is the Carli 2.0 performance kit.If you don't need to attack the whoops at high speed it will be a great option

Bob