3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lift or no Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift or no Lift?

Hey guys,
I have been debating for the last couple of weeks wether to lift my truck or leave it like it is. Before this truck I had a Chevy(i know i know) with a 6 inch lift kit and when I sold it I said I would not get another lifted truck. Well now I am starting to think I really miss the big truck and seeing all these pictures of lifted 3rd gens on here really makes me want to do mine. So how many of you put a lift on and regreated it? I don't tow any goosenecks or fithwheels but I do tow quite a bit, just not real heavy, 5,000 pounds or less most of the time. I was thinking of a 6 inch lift and 37's but I only have 3.73 gears and really dont have the money to upgrade, how bad would I be with those gears and tire size? Also, what kind of lift kit should I get, recently I have been reading how a lot of people don't like certain lifts but it seems they were all mentioned. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:17 PM

You won't regret it, just don't go too high if your going to tow and use it for a daliy driver. 37's and 3.73, ah, it will just steal a little power, if you feel that down the road it needs lower gears, then put them in. The 3rd gen sure do look good lifted, and they changed the front end alittle so things won't wear out as fast as the older dodges,
Old 01-19-2006, 10:19 PM

I would'nt go bigger tham 35's with 3.73's.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 PM

Anyone else?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 3.73's because there were no 04.5's left with 4.10's in the color I wanted. I honestly don't know why you would not lift the truck unless your all jacked up physically and can't get in and out of it. I mean money is only money. if you do plan on steps. I came from a chev as well and this dodge is a bit higher. you will needs steps of some kind for less fit people. I do fine but my old man's back is all jacked up and he would struggle without steps. I love my sidwiders.

If you tow really heavy you may regret it but if not you won't care. the converer won't lock till about 57mph but I always drive at least 5 over the spead limit so who cares. I have towed cars, smaller trailers like 24ft, and boats. no issues. one thing about 600lbs of torque and a small rpm range 3.73 to 4.10 is not huge. so unles your towing close to capacity I don't think you will mind.

I am just wierd but I don't like a truck until it has at least 35's on it. with a quad cab you really need about 37's to look right. I like the looks of 39-40's but it starts to get unpractical.

as for lift type. it is all about will you actually abuse the truck? If yes I would piece together a lift from other companies. there are alot of nice parts out there.

as to what lift look at these to start with

tuff country (cheapest, uses spacers)
bds (springsfront, spacers rear, upper control arm relocated)
superlift (springs front, spacers rear)
skyjacker (5") (srpings front and rear)

everbody will knock the tuff country like I have but if your truck will be a pavemet queen of sorts and not really abused it is the most economical choice. throw on some bilsteins and it will drive nice and not break you wallet. the wheels and tires will do enough wallet breaking.

now if you truck will be abused then I would look at the bds or the skyjaker possibly. they both have weeknesses as well. bds would proably benifit from a traction bar as it has blocks in the rear, skyjacker could benifit from the bds upper are relocation braket.

now if you really want to beat the daylights out if it I would buy parts from multiple vendors. I don't think this is what your after so I won't elaborate on who and what. if you want more info on this option let me know.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 PM

Thanks hognutz, I think you convinced me to get a lift. Anyone else have ideas on what lift?
Old 01-21-2006, 09:13 PM

I did the KORE chase kit w/ 35's. Not a whole lot of lift, rides better than stock and was pretty easy to install. Pics are in my gallery if you wanna compare. Really just adds enough lift to run 35's
Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 AM

I went with a Tuff Country 6'' lift with BFG 37's. I also have 3.73's with a 6 spd. Lost a little power down low on take off, but nothing too drastic. I went with Tuff Country because they are located only 10 minutes from me and I have a connection. It's a decent lift, but that air ride Kelderman is looking sweet
Old 01-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

I have 37's with 3.73 gears and tow a 36 foot dual tandem gooseneck with two big 4x4's on it. I have the 6 speed so it makes the gearing great. I thought it was too low with stock tires. I made up for the lack of power by bombing the truck quite a bit. It runs great, tows great, is an excellent daily driver, and as stated in another thread, at 75 mph I am only turning 1900 rpm's.
I run the Skyjacker lift. I am having issues with the track bar drop bracket right now but my brother is in the shop welding it up so it won't move anymore. I would get the BDS kit with some replacement rear springs and upgraded shocks (everybody loves Bilstein 5100's, I'm going with King 2.5 shocks), and then upgrade your steering parts as they wear out. Don't just replace, upgrade.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Dj, how do you like your skyjacker lift? I was looking at superlift, skyjacker and revtek and I want to be able to run 37's. I also noticed you seem to like BDS alot, why is this? Thanks for any help.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

The Skyjacker 4.5 inch lift is pretty good. I got the "system" which comes with replacement rear leaf springs and that is a big plus. I would not put a lift block on the rear axle at all, not with the torque of the CTD. I have used many different Skyjacker lifts and have always been happy with the quality. Their powder-coating is the worst I have ever seen, but that isn't really important to me. I look for functionality. That is why I like the 3rd gen BDS 6 inch lift, compared to the other lifts of equal size that are available. The BDS lift is the only one with any thought put into it. Tuff Country uses big coil spacers and control arms in the stock location, just slightly extended. Wow. Superlift uses new coils but the same lengthened control arms in stock mounts. Wow.
BDS copied the Skyjacker 2nd gen 7 inch lift setup, basically, and has a long lower arm and short upper arm that has been extended slightly, but uses a relocation bracket that moves the mounting point at the axle up a few inches to help keep the arm level. What this means is that you get greater dive control on the axle when braking hard; reduced control arm angles, which allows for a more vertical plane of travel as the axle moves up and down, instead of the axle coming back towards the rear of the truck as it droops, or going up towards the bumper as it compresses. The BDS kit not only meets stock specifications, it exceeds them.
Superlift and Tuff Country (and others I might not have looked at yet) lower the quality of your suspension. I am not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, I am just being honest. Most lift kits do lower the quality of your suspension, and that is acceptable to some. You sacrifice quality for looks. I do not go that route, personally. Sure, I like a good looking truck... but it means nothing to me if it will not perform.

I am running 37's with a 4.5 inch lift, and they work, but I think if you want to run 10 inch wide wheels, you are better off to just go with whatever 6 inch lift you choose. I am happy with my setup after cutting off the air dam, but in order to run 37's with a 4.5 inch lift, you really need 8 inch wide wheels to not have any rubbing at all. I am rubbing on the back of my front fender, on the flares actually, on occasion. That will be corrected with the custom long arms I am putting on soon.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:25 PM

i have a six superlift on 37's with 3.73 gears i have towed are wakeboard boat a few times no problem. i love my lift i have had it about six mouths i think my truck rides better after the lift i have i pic in my gallery if you want to see it good luck man
Old 01-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks DJ, I will look in to the BDS some more. Do you happen to know where I could order a BDS? Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:01 PM

they have a dealer locator on thier site.

http://www.bds-suspension.com/php/distributor.php
Old 01-23-2006, 04:53 PM

Thanks hognutz, I found a dealer 5 miles away from my house, same place I got my shocks at. They told me $1350 for the new long arm 6in lift kit. I thought that sounded pretty fair considering the superlift I was looking at is the exact same price. They also told me 600 for the install. I don't know if I should let them do it or do it my self. I installed my leveling kit but never a suspension lift. Should I spend the 600 and get it done right and alignment included with that price or do it myself? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Lift or no Lift?