3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lifetime Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifetime Oil Filter

I have an FS-2500 bypass filter so I thought I'd get one of these goodies for better flow - especially as temps start to dip going into winter.

Had a PurePower lifetime filter before, but I found it to be cheaply made compared to this one.
Attached Thumbnails Lifetime Oil Filter-image-4086371095.jpg   Lifetime Oil Filter-image-4122587423.jpg   Lifetime Oil Filter-image-3961848675.jpg   Lifetime Oil Filter-image-94055206.jpg  
Old 10-02-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What micron filtration, if its not 25 to 30 I would stick to the Donaldson, $8 bucks a piece, how easy are they to clean and how much trouble, and the one I looked up was not cheap, in 8 years I have used about $110 bucks in oil filters, just my .2c worth.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
My question is why?

I wouldn't trust my motor to something that can stop filtering well because of age or an improper cleaning/reassembly.

It seems to me you are better off with a good filter and change it with the oil rather than put contaminants from your old oil into your new oil.

Just my humble opinion...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:16 PM

I didn't buy it to save money.

Here's my reasons, which will be different than yours. My truck is very different as is probably my climate.

1. Have you ever seen oil flow at -40°? I have. I'm a chemical technologist and have performed pour point tests. Even the lighter weights start out pretty thick at -40.

2. Flow through a throw-away filter is reduced quickly as it catches debris over it's life span, and the effect is exacerbated by cold weather.

3. I have a bypass filter that will catch everything and has a much higher capacity to hold oil contaminants than a standard filter, all without affecting flow.

4. I have three turbos on my truck - I want fast oil flow at start up in cold weather. I've seen my aftermarket oil gauge ramp up to 80 PSI trying to drive cold oil (50°F) through a new throw-away filter.

These lifetime filters are super easy to clean. You'd have to be pretty careless to damage it when cleaning. Soap and water. That's it. In fact, they say you can toss the filter in a dishwasher - so long as your wife doesn't kill you for doing it.

So those are my reasons. For me it makes sense...maybe not so much for others in different situations.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Fiftygrit
What micron filtration, if its not 25 to 30 I would stick to the Donaldson, $8 bucks a piece, how easy are they to clean and how much trouble, and the one I looked up was not cheap, in 8 years I have used about $110 bucks in oil filters, just my .2c worth.
Looks like about $200 and here is the info from the site
Our unique, patented Filter in a Filter technology cleans oil much more efficiently than other spin-on filters on the market today. The micronic, 3-dimensional weave in our primary and secondary filter assemblies captures particulates at 25 microns absolute with 98.56 percent efficiency, yielding a beta ratio of 75. It does not filter so finely, however, that it strips out the oil's important additives. Optimized to maintain TBN (Total Base Number) and viscosity, our filter protects engines from scarification while promoting oil flow that is 14 times greater than standard filters under the same pressure in pounts per square inch (PSI).
Still not sure how much I trust them compared to the Fleetgaurds I use. And cleaning is very 3000 miles where mine can go 10k and still have great UOA numbers. I could see using this on a gas engine though!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EdmontonCanada
I didn't buy it to save money.

Here's my reasons, which will be different than yours. My truck is very different as is probably my climate.

1. Have you ever seen oil flow at -40°? I have. I'm a chemical technologist and have performed pour point tests. Even the lighter weights start out pretty thick at -40.

2. Flow through a throw-away filter is reduced quickly as it catches debris over it's life span, and the effect is exacerbated by cold weather.

3. I have a bypass filter that will catch everything and has a much higher capacity to hold oil contaminants than a standard filter, all without affecting flow.

4. I have three turbos on my truck - I want fast oil flow at start up in cold weather. I've seen my aftermarket oil gauge ramp up to 80 PSI trying to drive cold oil (50°F) through a new throw-away filter.

These lifetime filters are super easy to clean. You'd have to be pretty careless to damage it when cleaning. Soap and water. That's it. In fact, they say you can toss the filter in a dishwasher - so long as your wife doesn't kill you for doing it.

So those are my reasons. For me it makes sense...maybe not so much for others in different situations.
I am in the same situation (15 miles from Edmonton ) and I would not do it . The engine has a by-pass valve that insures that the turbos get unfiltered oil until it can pass through the paper elements. I use Mobil Delco 0-40 all year round and I have a Oil Pan heater that cost less that $50.00
I have an Amsoil by-pass filter as well,but only one turbo.
JMHOP
Jim O
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Ok, you got me...I'm deliberately trying to blow my engine so I can get a new high performance one.