3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Leveling kit and pulling to the right???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit and pulling to the right???

Hey guys, before you tell me to fill out my signature, I have tried to add my truck to my signature twice, I must be doing it wrong, so here it is, 2007 six speed, leveling kit, 285's, airbags, and latest thing is the Smarty Jr.

My question is, I had my leveling kit put on by Commercial tire about 2 months ago and since then my truck has pulled to the right, they say that I should just rotate my tires. I then called Les Schwab and they say there is a offset ball joint that some trucks will need to correct the problem for pulling to the right, so does anyone else's truck pull to the right, and what is the fix for this. One guy even says that the Offset ball joint will help it, but will not 100% cure this.

Once again thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 PM

Did you get it aligned yet?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:24 PM

I had the same problem. I also did not like how it felt when I hit some rought bumps in the road it seem to go all over the place. I found that when you add a leveling kit it move the front end over. To fix the problem I put on a Thuren Fabrication Track Bar fix the problem for me. He has a web site and a very cool guy to deal with out of So. Cal.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 PM

Thuren Fabrication Track Bar

Outstanding! Another good bit of info from a great forum. Thank you.

Since I added my leveling kit and Cooper ST's in 33x12.50, some of the factory wheels (not all of them) when mounted on the front right ended up pulling right. Also, my camber on the right is now on the edge of specification. Lifting the front end pulls the front axle to the right I believe. This might be a solution since it's adjustable.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM

I have told a few of my buddy's about the track bar issue. They also have bought the Adjustable Track Bar from Thuren Fabracation and are very pleased with the results.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 AM

Wow, I wonder if this is what I feel, I put on BFG A/T 285's on my truck when I had about 3,000 miles on it. My truck NEVER pulled at all, and it shouldn't of with that milage. Anyway, as soon as the BFG's went on, it pulled to the right, was told its normal beacuse the BFG's or more of a square tire, and will have a tendancy to ride the ruts and crown in the road. To this day, with 15,000 on her, she still pulls, even after rotations.

Could this be the same thing??
Old 12-26-2007, 02:05 AM

i have noticed that some tires (not just brand or size, but individual tires) when put on a solid front axle truck, will pull to the right. bigger, m/t's tend to add to the problem. accentuating the crowning in the road is a factor, but don't see how a very small move of the axle to one side or the other with only a leveling kit can cause this problem, as the axle is still straight. if you want to see if this is the culprit, you can simply install a track bar relocation bracket, which will re-center the axle.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:30 AM

The "pulling to the right factor" after installing a leveling kit, is a common problem with these trucks. Mostly the spacer type leveling kits. I don't really know of a sure way fix to the problem, because every one of these trucks respond differently. It actually took some of the "pulling to the right" out when I put the 22.5s on, but on someone elses truck, it could make it worse.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:41 AM
D45

Another suggest (instead of spending $375 on a Thuren bar) is to try a $100 3" track bar drop bracket. This will re-center the axle and correct the geometry on front end steering parts.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D45
Another suggest (instead of spending $375 on a Thuren bar) is to try a $100 3" track bar drop bracket. This will re-center the axle and correct the geometry on front end steering parts.
i'm not sure how that would work out, having a 3" drop on your trackbar with that short amount of lift. may end up pushing your axle back the other way (towards the driver's side)??
Old 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM

You don't say if you have a 2wd or 4wd? That makes a huge difference. How tall is the level kit?
Old 12-26-2007, 04:52 PM

OK here's my story.

Bought the truck new from the dealer and drove it home. Came back to the dealer the next day to have a level kit installed (Revtek- sold/installed by the Dodge dealer). After install I drove to aLes Schwab for the Toyo MT's. On the way to Schwab's the truck kept pulling to the right. After I got the tires on the truck, I went back to the dealer to talk to the service writer about the lift install.
I asked if they aligned the front end after the lift was installed and she said, "no, we don't normally re-align after a lift install." I've had lifts installed before and always needed a re-alignment after install, I say. I told her the truck was pulling to the right pretty severely. She said it was the aftermarket tires that are now on the truck. I told her I just came from the tire store and the tires are balanced and all the pressures are the same. She stated the roads are crowned and would cause the truck to pull to the right. I said I drove in the inside lane on the freeway--crowns to the left-- and it still pulls to the right.
-----------NOW COMES THE GOOD PART-------------

She says, There's a lot of metal in these trucks. They are designed to pull to the right in case the driver should pass out at the wheel." WHAT?!! I say. I drive 40K pound fire engines for a living, and they don't pull to the right. She replies, "Well I guess you think you know more about these trucks than I do?" "Apparently, I do," I said, "cause you don't know squat." I haven't been back.
I went back to Les Schwab Tires and they installed the offset ball joints described above and haven't had a problem since. FWIW.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our hybrid trackbar bushings are adjustable for 0-8" of lift, so they re-establish the correct front end geometry as well as prevent death wobble caused by the compliant rubber factory bushings.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Our hybrid trackbar bushings are adjustable for 0-8" of lift, so they re-establish the correct front end geometry as well as prevent death wobble caused by the compliant rubber factory bushings.
can they be used with an aftermarket drop bracket?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Certainly - just order the bushings offset with the amount of lift (0-8") that you need to adjust for.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit and pulling to the right???