3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Leveling Kit and Hankook RT03's installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would get the tires reballanced. When they spin them on the machine pay attention, get down and look at the tire while it's spinning make sure it's purfectly round, also make sure it's seated correctly on the wheel. I've been through this type of wobble before and I had one tire that was a little out of round but when I got up to 55mph it all went to crap and shook me to pieces.

Jamie
Old 09-04-2006, 10:30 PM

Jamie, thanks for the input. I mounted and balanced the tires at a friend's shop. All of the tires appeared to be round watching them spin, and they are balanced perfect (dynamically). I spent extra time making sure they zero'd out.

I got an alignment today. Had the Caster set a 5 degrees neg. and the toe was set. The truck actually wobbles WORSE. Instead of going away around 65mph, it just gets worse. Even up to 75. The tires have maybe 200 miles on them now. I think I am going to sell them and get something else.

I don't want to wear out all my front end components because of some tires.

I am thinking about getting Toyo Open County AT's. Are you guys having good luck with them and NO wobble?

BTW, I have read the other threads about DW and replacing the track bar, and the other parts. I have also read that worn hubs, tie rod ends, ball joints contribute to the problem. My truck has 1198 miles on it, so it would seem like none of those components could be the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Jeremy
Old 09-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by forcefed88
Jamie, thanks for the input. I mounted and balanced the tires at a friend's shop. All of the tires appeared to be round watching them spin, and they are balanced perfect (dynamically). I spent extra time making sure they zero'd out.

I got an alignment today. Had the Caster set a 5 degrees neg. and the toe was set. The truck actually wobbles WORSE. Instead of going away around 65mph, it just gets worse. Even up to 75. The tires have maybe 200 miles on them now. I think I am going to sell them and get something else.

I don't want to wear out all my front end components because of some tires.

I am thinking about getting Toyo Open County AT's. Are you guys having good luck with them and NO wobble?

BTW, I have read the other threads about DW and replacing the track bar, and the other parts. I have also read that worn hubs, tie rod ends, ball joints contribute to the problem. My truck has 1198 miles on it, so it would seem like none of those components could be the problem.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Jeremy
Let us know when you get the vibration worked out, ill be in the market for some tires soon and still cant decide between the 285s or 315s...
I also have leveling springs(I need to get some shocks), and I may give the track bar a try since I cant afford the downtime if I get the DW...
Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 PM

I will get it figured out. It has gotten better now 100 miles after the alignment. That makes me think that the tires are a large contribution to the problem. Doesn't really mean that they ARE the problem, just exacerbating the situation.

I will get it figured out in the next few days, I HOPE.

I bought a new cowl hood and new fenders to put on the truck because of the hail damage so that will be taking up some of my spare time also.

Jeremy
Old 09-06-2006, 01:03 AM

You might also want to try dynamic balancing beads for the tires. I have 8oz per tire ordered. $50 and the hope that my vibration issues go away
Old 09-06-2006, 10:19 AM

Is the caster supposed to be neg? I thought it was positive 5?

Could be the morning or the lack of coffee fo rme.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:19 PM

5° negative? That definiteley won't help matters, max it to the positive.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM

I was incorrect. It was 5 degrees positive.

After reading all the other posts on Death Wobble (which mine is a minor wobble compared to some), I have to think that tire design is what is causing my problem. I don't have another set of tires/wheels to put on my truck to see if it goes away. I wish I did.

I just see it this way. My truck is brand new. It had 900 highway miles on it when I installed the leveling kit and tires. It never had any issues prior to the leveling kit and tires. After installing the kit and tires I drove it 1 mile before getting up to 55mph when it started wobbling. I don't think that I could have worn any suspension parts out in the first 900 miles with the stock tires, and I really doubt that the 1 mile with the larger tires and leveling kit did anything either.

So, I know that worn suspension parts can make the wobble really bad. I think that when you have a truck with some miles on it, and then you put on larger mud tires, you place a considerable amount of extra force/wear on all of your suspension parts, and can start having wobble shortly after installing the tires. But if the truck is new and an correcting the toe and caster didn't help, I would think that the tires would be to blame. Before the alignment it would wobble between 55 and 62. After the alignment it wobbles between 55 and 80, but it keeps getting better after I drive it. That makes me think that it is the tires also. It is not the balance of the tires, because I watched as the owner of the shop did each one and they zero'd after the weights were installed. Besides, the tires ride smooth and pretty quite.

Maybe there are some tires that because of their tread design makes this problem happen on our trucks. Maybe it is because they are slightly out of round and that makes it happen.

What tires do you guys have that wobbled? Which tires don't?

Jeremy
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Well I've got the "standard" 315/70R17 BFG ATs from an H2... like I said, I will be trying out the dynamic balancing beads in a couple days. I'm also going to adjust my caster and toe some more to see if that helps.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM

4x4not, do you just have a vibration while driving at speed, or does your steering wheel move from side to side like your passenger is trying to steer the wheel back and forth out of your hands?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:12 AM

I have the H2's and 325/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT's and I have no wobble at all, and I have even lost the balancing weights on at least one front wheel. I've had it up to 90 mph and its smooth as can be. We'll see if any of that changes after I have my components from Thuren installed on Monday.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:35 AM

See, most people that have the Toyo AT's don't have any issues. I really think that some tires aggravate our tempermental trucks.

I am going to sell my Hankooks and try some Toyo's.

Jeremy