3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Leveling kit???

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longer shocks have longer shafts and bodies. If you lengthen the shock body but still allow the axle to travel up to the factory stop you can top the shock. Usually results in carnage.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:53 AM

Very true, but if you lower the stop blocks 2" you should be limiting the travel. The only thing I didn't agree with was that 2" longer shock will end up in the bed. I can't see that myself, but I can look I guess. Under that same theory, a 4" kit would be 2" more into the bed. Right? Plenty of people around here with 4" & 6" kits. So I'm missing something.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by gpshemi
Very true, but if you lower the stop blocks 2" you should be limiting the travel. The only thing I didn't agree with was that 2" longer shock will end up in the bed. I can't see that myself, but I can look I guess. Under that same theory, a 4" kit would be 2" more into the bed. Right? Plenty of people around here with 4" & 6" kits. So I'm missing something.

No, you're not missing anything. The work around is to limit axle bump travel, usually by lowering the factory bump stop with a spacer, or sometimes with a longer bump (but it better be stiff enough to stop the axle, which leads to harsh hits). Trucks with 6"+ lifts typically have no more usable travel than a stock truck.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Exactly. So what's the big deal about getting Bilsteins in 2" longer for the rear. Why is he telling me "it's too much trouble" to lift the rear. He's trying to get me to live with just 2" in front and I don't want it like that. It'll look stupid towing my 5th wheel.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM

If you can find a set that fits and has the correct mount on each end you can run 'em - just make sure you do something to limit bump travel.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Banned

If you are worried about squating in the back w/ your 5th wheel. Then don't level your truck or get air bags w/ the level. A stock truck has about a 2" rake.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by firemansdodge
If you are worried about squating in the back w/ your 5th wheel. Then don't level your truck or get air bags w/ the level. A stock truck has about a 2" rake.

I agree with fireman, if squating your truck with the 5th wheel hooked up is a concern, than leveling your truck really doesn't make sense to me, especially if you tow often. Putting in leveling coils in the front and then adding 2" lift blocks in the rear will basically give the truck that same factory rake (just taller). The airbags make the most sense.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 PM

I am currently running 2" leveling spacer in the front with Bilstein 5100 and a 2" block in the rear with Rancho RS 9000's adjustable and 2" longer shock. So far so good and I have towed and had 2 pallets of perfume close to 3000 lbs with no issues. I was looking to have a factory rake on my dually with a 2" lift all the way around so when I tow the rear does not sag and looks level. The ride feels the same, I can't say it's better than stock but it's definately not worse.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:33 PM

firemansdodge or diesel, did you change your user name or did something get screwed up when I quoted you? Or should I just back off on the beer a little?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:21 PM

The nice thing about Lorenz is that you can do the suspension mod(s) in a stepwise fashion. My plan is to eventually get the dual purpose leafs down the road. Meanwhile I will just enjoy the front coils and Bilsteins on all four and the Toyo MT 35s. The ride is really alot better than stock. I agree that the handling is way better too. When I do do the leafs it should ride like a truck/Cadillac.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jamesbfishin
firemansdodge or diesel, did you change your user name or did something get screwed up when I quoted you? Or should I just back off on the beer a little?
No, stay on the beer and have a shot of Jack on me.

I changed it because on a couple of other forums I am firemansdiesel. Keep the same name on all boards.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 AM

I did the lorenz 5100 kit I posted on here on page 2 but will explain my opinion . I used the drop blocks for the sway bar and added a thuren track bar zinc'd.

I got 2 inches of lift up front and around 1.2 in the back. I measured the rear off the drop hitch before and after so I don't know how accurate that figure is.

The truck sits fine for towing and rides a lot better on the freeway. It handles surprisingly well too better than stock especially on the rough stuff.

My alignment is set at 4.5 caster and .10 both sides toe. I don't like my alignment specs the stock caster setting was best. I think I need to back off on my caster to 4 because it has a little drift to the left, wish I had got my stock settings before the guy changed it .

Everything to my door was around 1,400 bucks. I installed it with absolutely no idea of what to do besides getting up under the truck and looking at what I had to take apart for a few minutes before jacking it up... I didn't even have a good jack. The rear was more of a pain than the front. It took the better part of a saturday to do front and rear.

I bought the kit because it was a good all around kit for my use and I think the quality is priced in. I never plan on baja'in the truck too hard or going over 35 inch tires.

Hope that helps.

If you're on a tight budget, just get his leveling kit and buy a trackbar drop bracket. I think the bracket needs to be welded.
If you look at his springs VS others I've seen they seem a lot thicker up front.

I have my opinions on lift blocks and don't think they are all that bad. The spring packs might not be worth the coin to some people I like them though.

Hopefully Sean will send me something free since I'm pushing his product . And FWIW, I think his customer service was top notch.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 AM

Also, maybe I'm misunderstanding the discussion above but I think bilstein sells 2 5100 shocks. One for 0-1 inch rear lift and one for 1-2 inches rear lift.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:11 AM

[quote=Rednecktastic;1834516]I did the lorenz 5100 kit I posted on here on page 2 but will explain my opinion . I used the drop blocks for the sway bar and added a thuren track bar zinc'd.

I got 2 inches of lift up front and around 1.2 in the back. I measured the rear off the drop hitch before and after so I don't know how accurate that figure is.
Everything to my door was around 1,400 bucks.
quote]

Redneck, I went back and checked, what did you put in the back? I'm guessing if everything was 1400 just the mini pack?

So it's 1400 plus the track bar I assume?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:36 AM

I put the minipack in the rear, that price is for everything including the track bar. Also, as a note if you order the trackbar from him you'll have to specify this because it's not on his site, get the zinc'd one for like $30 more.

I ended up with the mini packs, 2 coil springs, 4 shocks, 2 spacer blocks for the roll bar, some hardware and the thuren track bar.

If you just want to do the front and use an inch block in the back or whatever I think his leveling kit was around $600... Which is what I've got minus the coilpacks, trackbar and rear shocks.

I installed this stuff about 6 months ago so prices might have changed.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit???