3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Leveling kit???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently running 315's on a set of Chrome H2 rims.
I've been thinking of leveling the front and have been researching the different ways to do it.
I was planning or buying the Lorenz leveling kit and also buy the rear shocks but I just noticed this kit on E-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-03-...spagenameZWDVW

Anyone buy this kit or have any opinions?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Doesn't look like a bad kit, whats the spring rate on those coils? You would still have to do something about the sway bar, either longer links or drop blocks, those blocks pictured are extended bump stops.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned

I believe they are the Skyjacker D25 Coils. I heard that somewhere. Personnaly spend the extra $70 on the Lorenz Leveling system if that was what you were looking at origanally. A lot of people have it installed and nothing but positive reviews.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by firemansdodge
I believe they are the Skyjacker D25 Coils. I heard that somewhere. Personnaly spend the extra $70 on the Lorenz Leveling system if that was what you were looking at origanally. A lot of people have it installed and nothing but positive reviews.
Your going to have more than $70 more in the Lorenz kit if you want all
4 Bilstein 5100 shocks.
I'm wondering it it would be cheaper to buy the E-bay kit and then get the sway bar link or drop block kit link from Lorenz.

The E-bay vendor sells a ton of stuff and currently has excellent feedback so they must not be selling junk parts.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by firemansdodge

That's what I'd do, I don't mind paying a little more for something if everyone who's used it says good things comapred to something you've never heard of.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KillerBee
4 Bilstein 5100 shocks.
I'm wondering it it would be cheaper to buy the E-bay kit and then get the sway bar link or drop block kit link from Lorenz.

The E-bay vendor sells a ton of stuff and currently has excellent feedback so they must not be selling junk parts.
That eBay kit is from Top Gun Customz. When I talked with them about the coils they used in their 6" lifts the guy said they used the coils from Superlift and Revtek. So I'm guessing those coils are wither Superlift or Revtek springs. As for the service from them, I have dealt with them more than once and wasn't too pleased with either transaction. They took way too long to ship and lied to me more than once. Looking at their feedback, it seems that they have progressed service wise; at least I hope so.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

4 Bilstein 5100 shocks.

Oooppps........mis-read that you wanted the rears also. Will then an extra $200.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 PM

If they are in fact Skyjacker springs the concensus is they are crap.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Hey fireman, you get those control arms yet?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:14 AM

Does Lorenz make their own coil springs?
I fully understand what you guys are saying about skimping on quality.
I started, like most, looking at steel spacers.
After doing research I decided coils, shocks, and correct sway bar angle would be better. I think most of us are on a budget when it comes to modifying our toys and sometimes with research a quality product can be found without paying top dollar.
I wonder if Lorenz is doing any christmas specials.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:47 AM

Does Lorenz make their own coil springs?
I fully understand what you guys are saying about skimping on quality.
I started, like most, looking at steel spacers.
After doing research I decided coils, shocks, and correct sway bar angle would be better. I think most of us are on a budget when it comes to modifying our toys and sometimes with research a quality product can be found without paying top dollar.
I wonder if Lorenz is doing any christmas specials.

He has them made to his specs using good US steel so they don't sag.

Why don't you do it steps? That's what I did. I couldn't afford a one time payment of $5k so I spread it out over several purchases. Do springs, shocks and links in the front first; later add shocks and the mini packs to the rear; next year upgrade the shocks to 2.5 Kings/Foxes/SAWs; the following year go full leaf packs and radius/control arms; the year after air bumps front and rear; somewhere in between add bumpers, lights, spare tire carrier, etc. and before you know it you'll be racing Baja!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:42 AM

Just an FYI, I just listed a 2" Super lift coil leveling kit, 2" rear blocks and 4 bilstein 5100's on the classifieds list for $300. I had it installed on a 06 Mega cab and decided to upgrade to a 6". I started with the leveling kit but then the front was sitting higher than the back (especially when towing) so I added the 2" blocks to the rear. It looked awesome and fit 35's with no problem. I went through this same debate a few months back. Regardless of the kit you go with I would highly recommend paying the extra for the Billstein shocks, they are worth every penny. As for the coils, I know everyone loves the Lorenz kit but for the money im not sure if you will really notice any difference over other coil kits."just my opinion" I had the superlift coil leveling kit and liked it so much that when I went to a 6" kit there was no question about it, I went back to superlift. As for the sway bars, there is no need to change anything with a 2" kit. Just make sure you get an alignment after the install. It is only necessary to change the sway bars with a 3.5" or larger kit, and then you also need to change the pitman arm. I guess you could change them on a 2" but im not sure what you will gain? The caster angle was still right on with only a 2” lift. Perhaps someone could educate me on that.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by dlemorande
Just an FYI, I just listed a 2" Super lift coil leveling kit, 2" rear blocks and 4 bilstein 5100's on the classifieds list for $300. I had it installed on a 06 Mega cab and decided to upgrade to a 6". I started with the leveling kit but then the front was sitting higher than the back (especially when towing) so I added the 2" blocks to the rear. It looked awesome and fit 35's with no problem.

As for the sway bars, there is no need to change anything with a 2" kit. Just make sure you get an alignment after the install. It is only necessary to change the sway bars with a 3.5" or larger kit, and then you also need to change the pitman arm. I guess you could change them on a 2" but im not sure what you will gain? The caster angle was still right on with only a 2” lift. Perhaps someone could educate me on that.
That's good to know. Lorenz is telling me that you can't lift the back 2". After pressing, he seems to agree with you could if you lowered the bump stops. He says you'll over travel the shocks on the up stroke. To get it so they don't bottom out you'd have to put longer shocks on that would go through the bed. I'm not buying that at all. I said theres others doing it and he said he's on the dodge forums all the time and has never seen it. Also told me blocks may cause driveline issues for me on the Ram. Seems to me I've seen plenty of trucks with angled blocks, yet oddly it would only cause problems on Dodge. He doesn't come across as real agreable on email. The original email just asked about longer versions for the back. He said they didn't exist. When I pressed again to see what lengths they *do* come in, he ignores the question. I'm not sure what the problem is. He certainly doesn't like the 2" leveling kits and blocks in the rear, but for us on a tight budget...there isn't much choice. $2k in a lift kit isn't going to happen here. I just can't swing it.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM

Sean is probably right. If you add blocks to the back you're going to need longer shocks. Just because others are doing it doesn't mean they're not destroying their shocks. If you don't go with a longer shock you'll over extend it at full droop. If you do go with a longer shock you'll over compress it at full compression. The only way to avoid this is either limit axle travel with limit straps and longer bump stops or move the top shock mount into the bed.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:44 AM

Wow, some interesting stuff here for anyone (like myself) who's ever considered some kinda lift...
... still learning, continue please...

I don't see how putting a longer shock on the back with 2" blocks will cause the shock to over-compress it at full compression.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit???