3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: What guages are necessary for a mildly modified 3rd Gen??
EGT Only
13.08%
EGT and Boost
34.58%
EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure
42.99%
Juice/Attitude provides everything you need
9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hoss--

If I were in that situation, I'd do a dual gauge in a single gauge pod like the SRT-10 pod.

Get one SPA gauge that's EGT and boost, mount it in the SRT-10 pillar pod, and call it good.

Then you get the most accurate gauges, and you get to keep your grab handle.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoss, I would also think about a Oil Pressure gauge. The stock one on the truck I hear is a glorified idiot light. Anything over 6lbs and it will give a signal to the gauge. A true oil press should be of issue, along with Pyro (1st), Boost (2nd), Tranny temps (3rd if auto) and FP (3rd gens are better but still have one).

My next purchase will be a true oil pressure gauge. On my 1st gen, I couldn't believe the difference from a gauge and the stock gauge. Though stock showed about 45 - 50 most of the time, the aftermarket gauge (tapped into the oil filter) showed mostly 60 - 80 depending if motor was cold. Hit 105 a couple of times in the dead of winter and motor cold, then settled in around 60 while driving around town. Stock would only show about 40 while around town. Just more accurate I think compared to stock gauges.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Why would you need a pilot hole for a 0.0339" hole (size "R" drill bit)?? And where do you find a magnet small enough to go through that hole??
Smaller chips and easier drilling with more control. Plus the hole is a lot cleaner and the correct size when you are done. It will tap much better if that's the case. You don't want any hole wander.

You may also want to check the size of bit you refer to against the size of the fitting that comes with the Attitude. You will need a 5/16 or 21/64 bit to use a 1/8 NPT tap. Using an 1/8 pilot bit would be a good choice. Also, get a tapered tap not a bottoming tap. You will thank yourself in the end. I don't mean to be remedial so forgive me if I am but only cut a thread or so and then back the tap out each time so it will clean itself. You could even squirt it down with some cutting fluid to clean and lube it each pass. This will help you avoid breaking the tap off in the hole.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Banned

Hoss, to be honest with ya, I'd get an EGT and fuel pressure gauge and that's it. Boost is there for fun, you don't need a tranny temp gauge, and the factory oil pressure gauge does fine. I've got an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on mine and for the most part it reads what the factory one does. It just does it with more than 3 numbers. Drilling for the egt gauge is nothing. I've done 4 and I have had any problems. Just coat the drill bit real good with grease and drill slowly. Then cover the tap with grease and tap it really slowly. Once your done with that, run a magnet down in there until you get all of the really big shavings out. Once all of the big stuff is out your set. Really and truly, for what your lookin to do, just get the attitude and maybe once a month or something throw a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on there and check it out.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Hoss--

If I were in that situation, I'd do a dual gauge in a single gauge pod like the SRT-10 pod.

Get one SPA gauge that's EGT and boost, mount it in the SRT-10 pillar pod, and call it good.

Then you get the most accurate gauges, and you get to keep your grab handle.
Not a bad idea except that I intend to mount my Attitude on the A-pillar once I get it. I was planning to use the cubby hole for the gauges.

I never use the grab handle so that isn't really a deciding factor for me.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
Hoss, I would also think about a Oil Pressure gauge. The stock one on the truck I hear is a glorified idiot light. Anything over 6lbs and it will give a signal to the gauge. A true oil press should be of issue, along with Pyro (1st), Boost (2nd), Tranny temps (3rd if auto) and FP (3rd gens are better but still have one).

My next purchase will be a true oil pressure gauge. On my 1st gen, I couldn't believe the difference from a gauge and the stock gauge. Though stock showed about 45 - 50 most of the time, the aftermarket gauge (tapped into the oil filter) showed mostly 60 - 80 depending if motor was cold. Hit 105 a couple of times in the dead of winter and motor cold, then settled in around 60 while driving around town. Stock would only show about 40 while around town. Just more accurate I think compared to stock gauges.
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why is it important to monitor the oil pressure? I know it's bad if it gets too low (I've seen that happen when I ran a t-post through the oil pan of an old Chevy), but why would someone want to closely monitor it??
Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
Smaller chips and easier drilling with more control. Plus the hole is a lot cleaner and the correct size when you are done. It will tap much better if that's the case. You don't want any hole wander.

You may also want to check the size of bit you refer to against the size of the fitting that comes with the Attitude. You will need a 5/16 or 21/64 bit to use a 1/8 NPT tap. Using an 1/8 pilot bit would be a good choice. Also, get a tapered tap not a bottoming tap. You will thank yourself in the end. I don't mean to be remedial so forgive me if I am but only cut a thread or so and then back the tap out each time so it will clean itself. You could even squirt it down with some cutting fluid to clean and lube it each pass. This will help you avoid breaking the tap off in the hole.
How do you get much smaller than 0.0339"?? I mean, we're talking about a hole that is 1/32 of an inch. I don't see how a 1/8" tap will fit into a 1/32" hole, but that's what Diesel Manor says it needs.

The bit size is what Diesel Manor recommends for a 1/8 NPT tap. Using a 5/16 would give you a hole bigger than 1/8", so that obviously wouldn't work. Same with 21/64. I'm planning to use one of THESE.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:07 PM

How do you get much smaller than 0.0339"?? I mean, we're talking about a hole that is 1/32 of an inch. I don't see how a 1/8" tap will fit into a 1/32" hole, but that's what Diesel Manor says it needs.

The bit size is what Diesel Manor recommends for a 1/8 NPT tap. Using a 5/16 would give you a hole bigger than 1/8", so that obviously wouldn't work. Same with 21/64. I'm planning to use one of THESE.
You need to be really careful when talking 1/8 NPT (pipe) and 1/8". 1/8 NPT is about the size of your pinky finger in circumference. .339 is close to a 21/64 (.328) and probably what they are recommending. Be sure to double and triple check your sizing. I've done a few of these trucks already, trust me. My suggestion would be to go to the hardware store and hold a 1/8 NPT tap in your hand and then read what size drill bit you need on the tap's packaging. The Attitude installation instructions are available on Edge's web site. Here is the link for your truck. http://www.edgeproducts.com/pdf/inst...structions.pdf Scroll down to the part about drilling and tapping your manifold for the thermocouple (page 23) and you'll see what I mean.

The tap you show is a tapered tap and the correct one to use.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Hoss you are completely right about the boost and fuel economy. I can go 90mph and if im at 6lbs of boost i do better than at 50mph and 12lbs of boost.

The juice with attitude is a GREAT monitor. The Boost is innacurate above 32PSI, but unless you are a racer 32PSI is far past what you should hit doing your daily driving.

Get the juice with attitude. its an awesome monitor and is just what you need.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by staarma
You need to be really careful when talking 1/8 NPT (pipe) and 1/8". 1/8 NPT is about the size of your pinky finger in circumference. .339 is close to a 21/64 (.328) and probably what they are recommending. Be sure to double and triple check your sizing. I've done a few of these trucks already, trust me. My suggestion would be to go to the hardware store and hold a 1/8 NPT tap in your hand and then read what size drill bit you need on the tap's packaging. The Attitude installation instructions are available on Edge's web site. Here is the link for your truck. http://www.edgeproducts.com/pdf/inst...structions.pdf Scroll down to the part about drilling and tapping your manifold for the thermocouple (page 23) and you'll see what I mean.

The tap you show is a tapered tap and the correct one to use.
That is good to know. When it said 1/8 NPT I really thought it meant 1/8 of an inch (which seemed like a REALLY small probe). That makes more sense now. My plan is to just buy both the tap and the bit from Diesel Manor when I order my gauges (available at the link I showed you above). The Edge Juice will come a little later so I'll worry about tapping for it then. At this point I'm still planning to get real gauges (Isspro).
Old 11-17-2005, 10:06 PM

Cool, sounds like you have it figured out. Your cockpit should look good.

On a side note, the Attitude pillar mount does leave the stock grab handle in place. There's always cool stuff to buy for our trucks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but why is it important to monitor the oil pressure? I know it's bad if it gets too low (I've seen that happen when I ran a t-post through the oil pan of an old Chevy), but why would someone want to closely monitor it??

As Nuttymopar mentioned, the factory oil pressure gauge is nothing but a fancy idiot light. More info can be found here http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=141311

It is important to monitor oil pressure for several reasons. The obvious reason is, no oil pressure = a wrecked engine. The factory gauge should still indicate no oil pressure, but I remember one guy a few years ago that wrecked his engine when he lost all his oil, but he claims his oil pressure gauge never went to zero.

With a properly functioning oil pressure gauge, a person will be able to notice a drop in oil pressure, before it causes damage to your engine. For example if your oil gets diluted with diesel due to a defective injector, you should notice a drop in oil pressure. Also if you do have a catastrophic oil system failure, such as a busted oil line, you should be able to notice the drop in oil pressure and be able shut off your engine before any serious occurs.

It is quite frustrating that Dodge makes a gauge out of an idiot light. It is very sad that we pay $40,000 for a truck and have to put on an oil pressure gauge to see what's really going on.

Carl
Old 11-18-2005, 02:33 PM

I see what you're saying, but if I have to be limited to three gauges I think I would rather go with the three most popular. I still don't really see the need to monitor fuel pressure either, but I'll probably get that gauge anyway (mainly because I haven't seen any 2 gauge pods that I care for).
Old 11-18-2005, 02:36 PM

The results of the poll are interesting. I expected the majority of people to say that you needed all three gauges. If you combine the "EGT and boost" with the "Juice has everything you need" options, then right now 46% of the people who have voted think that EGT and boost is all you need. That represents a majority.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

I say the more gauges the better. That is why I went the the 3 pillar pod and the center cluster that goes in the empty space below the HVAC controls. I have a total of 6 AM Phantom gauges, Fuel pressure,EGT,Oil pressure, Engine oil temp, trans temp and boost.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity