3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: What guages are necessary for a mildly modified 3rd Gen??
EGT Only
13.08%
EGT and Boost
34.58%
EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure
42.99%
Juice/Attitude provides everything you need
9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking of gauges too. I can't make up my mind between trani and fuel. But I'm kinda leaning like LarryLuna say's, you do have a trani temp light if something goes wrong.

I think I'll go with the cubby hole. Where are you guy's getting the panel(or what ever it's called)
Old 11-16-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tow daily only about 5k, so trans temp is manditory and I do not tow with anything but the 65hp setting on my quad race box so fuel pressure is not a big item for me. I have a 100lb boost guage(wishful thinking), trans temp , and EGT guages.

Look for my post as to installation this weekend complete with pictures for an 05.

Rick
Old 11-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 6 speed so I'm not concerned about tranmission temps. If you have an auto then I think that is definitely something you should look into.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only read threw a few posts but here is my set up that I am installing today.

Edge/att. for the EGT reading
3gauge a-pillar Boost / Fuel pressure / Trans Temp
I wanted Oil Temp but ISSPRO didnt make one to match the other 2 gauges, so i suffered with another boost. Eventually I will get rid of my boost gauge and get Oil Temp once i see that the attitude is accurate with the gauge.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM

Hoss, if you haven't already thought of it, you will have to drill and tap 2 holes in your exhaust manifold for thermocouples for your analog gauge and for the Attitude monitor. Just pointing that out if you forgot about it.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Yeah, I'm aware of that. To be honest, the drilling and tapping is the only part of the gauge installation that scares me. I really don't want to drop the turbo, but it seems to me that's the only way to do it safely. I could always mount them post-turbo, but I don't really want to do that.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 AM

I think there is too much fear when it comes to drilling and tapping. I did drill a pilot first, then followed with a magnet. There were a bunch of shavings, but it did not take long till the magnet came up empty. Cranked it up with no issues. I think you would need to have a pretty good size chunck of metal to fear turbo damage.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Yeah, I'm aware of that. To be honest, the drilling and tapping is the only part of the gauge installation that scares me. I really don't want to drop the turbo, but it seems to me that's the only way to do it safely. I could always mount them post-turbo, but I don't really want to do that.
It's not bad at all. This was the method I used.

With the manifold and turbo installed, drill the pilot hole but do not break through. Clean all shavings around area. Take the final bit and drill it just to the point of breaking through. Clean all shavings at this point. Next grease the bit and then break through the last portion. A small magnet comes in handy at this point or a shop vac, preferably both. Clean the surrounding area again and then use the magnet and/or shopvac to clean the inside of the manifold until you get no more junk. Next, grease the tap and tap the hole cleaning as much as possible as you go. Once you have achieved the proper depth you need for your fitting, clean the area and the hole until you get no more shavings, then start the truck. Anything that did drop into the collector, will get blown out the exhaust upon startup.

So far I've done about 4 trucks this way and each time minimal dust and metal particles come out with the magnet. I did my truck over a year ago and it's still going strong.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 AM

Why would you need a pilot hole for a 0.0339" hole (size "R" drill bit)?? And where do you find a magnet small enough to go through that hole??
Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 AM

Another combination to consider is a boost, fuel pressure and oil pressure. I believe the pryo on the Juice is quite accurate; it's just the boost gauge that isn't. Right now in my truck I have fuel pressure, boost, and a pyrometer. Once my truck is off warranty I will plan on installing the edge juice and will probably replace my pyro with an oil pressure gauge. If I don't install the oil pressure gauge, I will probably mount one pyro probe after the turbo, so I can monitor pre and post turbo temps.

Carl
Old 11-17-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
Drilling and tapping is a whole lot easier than installing a concrete bedliner....

MikeyB
Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 6 2 Carl
Another combination to consider is a boost, fuel pressure and oil pressure. I believe the pryo on the Juice is quite accurate; it's just the boost gauge that isn't. Right now in my truck I have fuel pressure, boost, and a pyrometer. Once my truck is off warranty I will plan on installing the edge juice and will probably replace my pyro with an oil pressure gauge. If I don't install the oil pressure gauge, I will probably mount one pyro probe after the turbo, so I can monitor pre and post turbo temps.

Carl
Do you not like the oil pressure gauge that came with the truck??
Old 11-17-2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Drilling and tapping is a whole lot easier than installing a concrete bedliner....

MikeyB
Perhaps, but my concrete was free. A new turbo is not.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok Hoss. I guess since I'm a fairly new guy, I don't know the story on the concrete bed liner. So,,,spill the bean's.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Scroll to the top of the first page. There's a link in my signature that will explain everything.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity