3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: What guages are necessary for a mildly modified 3rd Gen??
EGT Only
13.08%
EGT and Boost
34.58%
EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure
42.99%
Juice/Attitude provides everything you need
9.35%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity

Edit: Poll added.

Okay folks...I'm all set to go for a set of gauges for my truck. My plan is (or at least was) to get a three gauge set consisting of pyro, boost and fuel pressure gauges.

After some comments made by various folks on this board over the past couple of days, I'm now having doubts about my original plan.

EGT is a given I think. It is probably the most important of the three. So, let's just say that if you're getting gauges then that one is a definite necessity.

Boost, from what I hear, is pretty important too. Not so much for watching the boost of your turbo, but because it can help identify when you may have an air leak somewhere. Also, if I understand it correctly, it kind of helps you know how hard your truck is working. The higher the boost the harder it is working? As such, it could also help you maximize your fuel economy by allowing you to watch your boost and try to keep it as low as possible. Is that accurate? If so, then I would say that boost might not be a "necessity", but it could certainly be handy to have. Agree??

Now, the big question mark for me is fuel pressure. From what I've read around here, having a fuel pressure gauge was pretty critical for the 2nd Gen trucks. However, for the 3rd Gen trucks it seems that maybe it isn't so important. Some have said that you can use it to determine when your fuel filter needs to be changed, but if you change your filter at a set interval like I do then I'm not sure that really does anything for you. Is there a good reason why the 3rd Gen trucks need to have a fuel pressure gauge??

Now, having said all of that, let me throw another wrench into the system. I'm planning to purchase the Edge Juice with Attitude. As you know, the Attitude comes with an EGT gauge and a boost gauge. Given that intake, exhaust and the Juice are probably the only performance mods that I ever plan to do on my truck, does it still make sense to buy separate EGT, boost and fuel pressure gauges?

I like the idea of traditional gauges. I guess that's because I've heard that they're more accurate. I've also heard that the gauges on the Attitude are not very accurate.

I guess the bottom line is that I'm ready to fork over $400 for gauges, but at the same time I don't want to spend $400 for something just because it's cool to have.

I'm not asking you to decide for me. I can do that myself. I just wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on the necessity of the gauges listed above.

Ready....set....GO!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is this with or without the concrete bed liner?

Okay, I think FP is a must on any generation. They all have a fuel pumps & filters and they need to be monitored. EGT's if you are going to add a box a must. Boost is nice and you need something to fill the third hole. IMHO.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most important gauge will be the EGT gauge, second will be the boost. For the FP, I wouldn't worry about it since the CP3 is designed to run under suction like on the Duramax. Now if you're going to run a big fueling box a FP might be nice but you will probably also need to upgrade to a FASS or Air Dog aux lift pump to supply additional fuel to the CP3.

MikeyB
Old 11-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoss,

If you plan to get the Edge J/A then all you really need is a fuel pressure gauge, the gauges in the J/A are pretty accurate, a lot of the differences are where Edge gets their signal vs where you get it with a mechanical gauge. The Edge is limited to a max boost pressure, can't remember what it is, but otherwise they are fine. They even have a heat chamber to heat soak the module and the probes to make sure they are accurate etc. We even got a full replacement A Pillar made that is color matched that mounts the Attitude and gives you a place for one 2 inch gauge which is what most folsk use for fuel pressure. Call us if you have any questions etc, we'll be glad to help you with the Edge or mount or gauges etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-16-2005, 08:12 AM

I added a FP gauge for piece of mind the same reasson I bothered to put the other 2 in. I'm happy that the lift pump in the 3rd gens seems to be pretty reliable but I wouldn't say it's perfect. I know I can pull my FP down to 0 on a long WOT run with no box on the truck and no load (trailer etc). So what this tells me is if you are going to add a a box the stock lift pump isn't sufficent. I know that there have been problems with lift pumps on the 3rd gen trucks both stock and bombed. I also use mine to moniter my fp as it relates to the filter in the event I got a bad load of fuel etc. My last argument would be if you can afford this truck and the engine thats in it you can afford the gauge it's pretty cheap insurance.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Craig
Hoss,

If you plan to get the Edge J/A then all you really need is a fuel pressure gauge, the gauges in the J/A are pretty accurate, a lot of the differences are where Edge gets their signal vs where you get it with a mechanical gauge. The Edge is limited to a max boost pressure, can't remember what it is, but otherwise they are fine. They even have a heat chamber to heat soak the module and the probes to make sure they are accurate etc. We even got a full replacement A Pillar made that is color matched that mounts the Attitude and gives you a place for one 2 inch gauge which is what most folsk use for fuel pressure. Call us if you have any questions etc, we'll be glad to help you with the Edge or mount or gauges etc.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark, is that gauge mount you're speaking of on your webiste? I didn't see it the last time I was on there. If not, is there anyway I could see some pictures of it (preferably mounted if you have some)?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 AM

Okay...just to make it easier to follow I added a poll to this thread.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

Hoss,

No not yet, they look exactly like the 2 and 3 gauge replacement pillars that are color molded though with only one gauge above the Attitude mount. We've shipped 25-30 of them and so far folks love them.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-16-2005, 09:29 AM

yeah but i hear the attitude does not go accuratly above 30 psi is that right?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:22 AM

I have the Juice/Attitude already but will be adding either a FASS or similar. At that point, I will add just a single steering column pod with an electric FP gauge. I like the Attitude not only for the gauge function but the safety of the defueling. I only have mine set for EGT defueling now and it works like it's supposed to. I also monitor Boost and Engine Temp. The engine temp is for proper warm up while driving so I know when I can wring it's neck without doing any damage. I live in a cold climate so not everyone will appreciate that feature.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:45 PM

Just wanted to get this back to the top for more opinions.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
Just wanted to get this back to the top for more opinions.
Isn't that cheating?

(Geico's not so subtle attempt to help Hoss get this thread back to the top.)

Hoss, have you made up your mind yet?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I will be going with the juice/att and the fuel presure guage. I think I will go for the over the mirror mount and put the fuel presure in the srt-10 pillar. I need my grab handle as I am lifted.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266

Hoss, have you made up your mind yet?
Unless someone convinces me otherwise I will most likely stick with my original plan of installing all three gauges. I still plan to get the Juice/Attitude, but if for some reason I ever get rid of the Juice then I would still have my gauges.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Question What about a transmission temp gauge??

Hi all
I am new here but been lurking for a bit to get aquainted with the forums, etc.
I just got a new(to me) '04 Dodge dually with auto, 4:10 gears, 4 X 4, quad cab, and of course a Cummins Sorry have not filled out my signature yet to what I have.
I am not new to the diesel world, and in fact still have my '99 Ford Superduty(bought it in 2000, and drove diesel big rigs for 30 years), 4 X 4, Powerstroke, 6 speed with lotsa goodies for performance.
On my Powerstroke I have a 2 gauge pillar mount with EGT, and boost gauges but being a 6 speed no tranny temp gauge BUT all the guys I know who have the auto version of Powerstroke is running a 3rd gauge in a tranny temp. They say it is a must with the Powerstroke..........so I am wondering why no one here on the Dodge forums does not mention having a tranny temp gauge other than someone told me that you have to put on a Mag Hytech tranny pan so you have a place to hook up to a sensor as the stock tranny pan does not have one. I do not know if this is true as I have only had my truck for a week so have not had a chance to check that part out. I know I have a light on the dash which indicates tranny temp if it gets high.........again I assume this as I don't have a owners manual yet as the truck did not come with one, and have not got one I ordered yet.
Hope I am not hijacking this thread as just trying to get educated here on my new toy
I am going to put gauges in the truck ASAP as feel they are necessary just like I did on my Powerstroke but wanting to find out the best way to go just like HOSS.
Again apologize if I am hijacking here.

Larry

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Gauges and Necessity