3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

LED taillights from ebay, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the DEPO LED tail lights on my truck. Work and look great. I have the Recon cab lights on my truck and they look great when they work. Sometimes, one of them won't work and I have to take it off and wiggle it around before it works again. Other than that, no complaints. I think the DEPO (EBay lights) look better than the Recon LED's anyway. Here is a night pic of my truck (which is the same color as yours) of my tail lights and line-of-fire bar.
Attached Thumbnails LED taillights from ebay, yay or nay?-img_0434.jpg  
Old 09-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Banned

They look killer man i think im gonna stick to my guns and wait it out for the recons.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Patriot2500
I have the DEPO LED tail lights on my truck. Work and look great. I have the Recon cab lights on my truck and they look great when they work. Sometimes, one of them won't work and I have to take it off and wiggle it around before it works again. Other than that, no complaints. I think the DEPO (EBay lights) look better than the Recon LED's anyway. Here is a night pic of my truck (which is the same color as yours) of my tail lights and line-of-fire bar.
thanks for the pic, that looks awesome.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:34 AM

How well can these Ebay taillights be seen "off-center" / from an angle? I've heard that is an issue. Yes,no?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM

That is a good question, can any of you with led taillights from ebay confirm how bright it looks from a side view?
Old 09-08-2007, 06:23 PM

TTT - why do you have to have 10 characters
Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Has any one compared the E-bay lights to the Recon lights. I think there are one and the same. Compare the Recon smoke leds to the e-bay picture. There are very nice.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Yep very similiar but not sure about quality and the company is flakey, recon is a reputable distributor who sponsors this site so they will get my business.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Well, I done my business with recon on the third brake light and cab lights, but went with the ebay taillights. I believe the quality will be acceptable for the price.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 PM

I had APC led tails and at night they looked exactly like those DEPOT's in the pic above. In the daytime they could pass for stock 03-06 style at a glance except they had a larger, brighter, and better backup bulb. But it was incandescent not led.

I will say from the side view on my APC's there was only a single small red diode on these tails that was visible. In the daytime you couldn't see it at all hardly. Someone from the side in daylight might not see your blinker. Not very safe imo.

I ran these tails for a while but got tired of them and went back to stock. My opinion is that aftermarket tails just don't look right. They look cheap or something to me. None of them look right.

I do like led's though. My solution was to swap every bulb in my truck to led bulbs. In my factory tails I swapped in x2 spiderlite leds and they are way better than the plain incandescent bulbs, a ton cheaper than aftermarket tails, and much more visible too. Also from the side view with these X2's it's just as bright as stock bulbs were in daytime.

So my vote is dont buy the new tails. Retain your stock housings and stick some quality led bulbs in there. If you are wanting a "clean look" you just won't get any cleaner than this. Looks stock until you hit your blinker or get on the brakes and that's when the gawking begins. At nighttime it's way cool on the interstate a lot of chickenhaulers blink my rig over.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Opps I voted too late
Old 09-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
I had APC led tails and at night they looked exactly like those DEPOT's in the pic above. In the daytime they could pass for stock 03-06 style at a glance except they had a larger, brighter, and better backup bulb. But it was incandescent not led.

I will say from the side view on my APC's there was only a single small red diode on these tails that was visible. In the daytime you couldn't see it at all hardly. Someone from the side in daylight might not see your blinker. Not very safe imo.

I ran these tails for a while but got tired of them and went back to stock. My opinion is that aftermarket tails just don't look right. They look cheap or something to me. None of them look right.

I do like led's though. My solution was to swap every bulb in my truck to led bulbs. In my factory tails I swapped in x2 spiderlite leds and they are way better than the plain incandescent bulbs, a ton cheaper than aftermarket tails, and much more visible too. Also from the side view with these X2's it's just as bright as stock bulbs were in daytime.

So my vote is dont buy the new tails. Retain your stock housings and stick some quality led bulbs in there. If you are wanting a "clean look" you just won't get any cleaner than this. Looks stock until you hit your blinker or get on the brakes and that's when the gawking begins. At nighttime it's way cool on the interstate a lot of chickenhaulers blink my rig over.
Not familiar with the LED bulb replacement. Do you have any pics of those? Are they available anywhere?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 PM

i likes mine
Old 09-17-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ram1960
Not familiar with the LED bulb replacement. Do you have any pics of those? Are they available anywhere?
I think he is talking about these....
http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html

Quick Reply: LED taillights from ebay, yay or nay?