3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Lacking power so I thought I'd add some propane

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More research shows that diesel has a flashpoint of 125 to 150 degrees Farenheit. But when it is atomized (at our injectors) this temperature is significantly reduced.
OK, now I'm both amazed and worried about this flashpoint of diesel fuel. Can it ever be possible to reach these temps anywhere in our fuel systems?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it can and on some really hot summer days prob does. But flahpoint is just the temp at which somethong will ignite with a flame source. But in a combustion process, you need to look at the auto ignite temp, not flash point. Auto ignite for most diesel fuel is around 900*. Thats what temp the air in the combustion chamber of a compression ignition diesl needs to be at to work.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 PM

Hey Guys lets keep this one going....one of the best threads in a while. PourinDiesel is absolutely correct. Diesel doesn't ignite under compression.....It ignites under high temperature and pressure in an gaseous oxygen or oxide rich environment. Propane doesn't burn the diesel earlier rather it burns it faster which makes it seem like it burns earlier. If I get valve float now....I'll be very upset. Unburned heavy large molecule hydrocarbons exit the engine as soot and gaseous soot.....black smoke. Higher boost levels provide two things more pressure to combust the fuel earlier and depending on the inlet air temperature hopefully more air density....more oxygen to burn more fuel. Propane helps achieve the same results (in a completely different manner) at lower boost levels by causing the diesel to burn faster. The propane also has a cooling effect on the air charge as the vaporizing of liquid propane absorbs heat. or I may be absolutely wrong....but I don't think so. ks
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 PM

i was just wondering kerry if you had dinoed your truck yet. and what it made and if you are planning to come to any pulls down here next year. perhaps in indiana.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 PM

I think diesel ignites when that round thing goes up and down. Is that right?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM

Cole, With the twins on.....Indiana would eat my drivetrain until its upgraded....I'm thinking of doing a couple of events with the K31 on next year....in the US. I plan to race a pretty full season in Ontario Canada next year but If the other side of the adventure works out....I will be drag racing quite a bit at the bigger U.S. events. I saw your name on a few results sheets....how did the truck work for you this year? I've done about 20 dyno runs for tuning the twins but I was fighting my injectors, my broken valvetrain, and my head limitations. There is a dyno graph in my pix...You can see my problem....I rolled up to 40mph the dyno start point and when it locked up in 3rd....I was at 1psi of boost.....I would hit it and it would just quench out....I'd let off to 50% go pedal and then the power and torque would go straight up. If I was allowed to start in 1st gear and keep my boost above 10psi through the gears and then hammered it at 70mph in OD... boost would rocket to 80psi in about a second and the tires might be able to stick to the rollers. I think I need LSD and 30psi to get the tires to stick to the rollers. I'm confident the truck is well over 700hp right now. At 70psi of boost the EGT's are less than 1300 and there is just a haze of smoke when the water is flowing. From 10psi to 75psi takes less than a second...it is absolutely crazy. I need to get my TST custom tuned to accept an aftermarket boost input and to allow for defueling at 80psi drive pressure. If I could get that I'm confident I could get between 850 and 900hp. Right now....I see boost hitting 60 and I let off and it goes to 80psi then drops.....If the computer was doing it I could just focus on everything else. I may be down in your neck of the woods before Christmas. ks

ps. Your Super B is enjoying being the center of attention under my hood. k
Old 10-19-2006, 11:29 PM

this year went pretty good nothing fantastic just having fun and melting the clutch. next year the pulling clutch is going in and maybe a few other things and i should be pulling a lot more.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:36 PM

Yep, If it ain't fun we may as well be married ks
Old 10-20-2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
qzilla,
Diesel is not ignited by compression if it was then the CP3 on my truck would have long since exploded.

The compression raises the air temp then high pressure diesel is injected into this heated compressed air and combustion occurs.
You are correct. It is a combination. My point was that you had to have the compression to fire it.

Your CP3 does not ignite because there is no oxygen. I did not take the time to really explain.

You would be suprised that most people think that diesel is ignited off of the glow plug similar to a spark plug. Of course these do not have a glow plug but most people don't know that.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Luken
I think diesel ignites when that round thing goes up and down. Is that right?
You are wrong there!! only when it goes up, and every other time!